2010 mustang goes 8.97@153..

-
Just a few tidbits:

Unless I missed it somewhere in the thread, a couple sources say that it's very likely that the 8 second 2010 Mustang runs are Super Stock legal cars, not Stock. Comparing it to the Drag Pack Challengers is is apples-to-oranges. There are no new Challengers that have been run in SS configuration, but some may be under construction. Ford did have a new Mustang at the Orlando, FL PRI show last December with SS/BA on the windows. A prototype, I suppose. But they are coming out with a variety of combos for several more Stock and SS classes. Being a "factory race car", the factory will do it's homework, especially with a turn-key combo. We are actually pretty lucky that the Challenger Drag Pack program wasn't cancelled, consideing the financial turmoil. It's just that a "kit" was the best they could invest in and the racers would have to do the rest.

Another issue is the horsepower NHRA assigned to the cars and their respective shipping weights. There is a lot of controversey about all of the numbers being soft, especially the Fords. What that means is that whatever class they factor into, they end up being faster than most, if not all, of the old combinations that have run for years. Heads-up races will favor the new cars. NHRA has a system to re-factor particularly fast combos, but that will take a lot of time. I'm sure the factories lobbied NHRA for favorable (low) assigned HP numbers to help get the factories involved again. That's a good thing. But a lot of old combo racers are upset. I can see both sides, but I won't get into it more here.

Technology is an amazing thing. So when talking about ET's now and years ago, one has to remember that Pro Stock cars ALL BRANDS got into the 8's in the mid-late '70's. The 500 cubic inch versions started in 1982 got into the 7's. They were cutting edge technology then. Technology has "accellerated" cars quite a bit since.

Nice pictures wylde1! Clearly shows the challenger is the best looking one of the three. Ahh! the curse of being the middle child!

Yup. In order I'd take a Challenger, Camaro and finally a Mustang. Locally they've been advertising either low or 0% financing on the Challengers. Very tempting.

Wylde1.

Thanks for clarifying that Myron. I originally assumed that it was a stocker then saw later it was stated to have a 10.5 tire on it. That's not a stocker then.

Glad to help. The whole factory race car deal is cool, but HP ratings are still pretty out of wack.

Screw the mustang, I'm still worried about LS1's lol cam only stuff runnin high 11's yikes!

But really what class does the BLOWN mustang fit into? I would certainly think not the same class as the N/A challengers. And as far as comparing the new BLOWN mustank to the SS/AH hemi cars. . . really? a 40yr old carbed contraption didn't run as good in a time where nothing but the economy was better, gee wonder how that is, but now with the same available technology as the stang they go low 8s, without boost and at one time with stock intakes as per rules (now changed, but still got factory head castings) Yes 8's are great for anything especially a new car but let's compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges, when a buddy's 100% stock 5.3L LS motor plus a turbo can run high nines in a LS Trans Am and still drive anywhere which I'm sure the stang can't hardly make it up the return lane, well then the stang doesn't look too hot to me lol actually kinda looks pathetic, might even be a close run if my local guy fabbing in his home garage threw a few dollars into the LS or when he finishes up the swap to a still stock internal 6.0L LS motor. Perhaps then Ford should watch it's back hahaha. Hope I got someone riled up here.

wonder how that stang would hold up aginst that v10 twinturbo cuda in the latest mopar action magazine??????i know 2 different types of racing but if it was made for the strip

Wow. I'd hate to see your taste in girls. You probably like fat chicks too............... Oh well, to each his own.

What.........the i bet it don't comment was refering to the challenger being in the 8's..what does that have to do with what type of women i like..as for the challenger the car is fugly..and my nice looking wife thinks so also,and i already know shes got good taste..

What.........the i bet it don't comment was refering to the challenger being in the 8's..what does that have to do with what type of women i like..as for the challenger the car is fugly..and my nice looking wife thinks so also,and i already know shes got good taste..
O.k. buddy, whatever you say.........

I'd like to think I give more credence to a woman's personality than looks now. Of course, my hot now ex-wife suffered in that department. So maybe I would prefer the Challenger now...lol.

I can tell you I know which one is quickest from the factory , and they cost the same. Dodge has some work to do.

P4040332.jpg

I think that in the grass the Dodge would be quicker. The Mustang would be traction challenged. Besides the Mustang has a fish face. Admit it a downturned fish face. I've hated Fords since 1960! I've raced Mopar when the torqueflites were made of cast iron and shifted with buttons and the u-joints wore rubber booties. Screw Ford!!!!

Man this thread has legs. LOL I didn't know we had that many Mopar owners that don't like Mopars.

I still say not impressed. A gutted, Blown race car, in 2010 should run eights. 2 years to develop, big whuup, the technology has been around for awhile now.

I can tell you I know which one is quickest from the factory , and they cost the same. Dodge has some work to do.

You shouldn't be comparing the Shelby to a stock factory offering. You should compare the Shelby to one of the Challengers from Petty, Mr. Norm or Saleen. That would be more of an apples to apples comparison and those cars will run/out run the Shelby.

I do have to say that Shelby is one hot looking car.

BTW, the Shelby starts at $50K and a SRT8 at $43K. That $7k will get you a supercharge kit and over 600HP.

Again, to each his own. I'm sure the squirrely high school kids are droolin. But, you only run 11's, so I guess you are overly impressed.............

Thats right and my 11 second car will smoke those $40k plus srt8 challengers any day of the week..hmm what are you running??...

-
Back