273 help

-
You can put a D-Dart Holley on it but you have to bore out the holes a little. I have a bound collection of Hot Rod articles on the LA and the first 3 build ups are 273's.
the D-Dart carb was in error, it was actually the 3116 Holley 4160 that the Mopar published "273 tune up tips " recommended. They stated a few carb choices (ie. 426 Wedge 3447S, with a slight 1.69 bore of the carb intake ports and a spacer so the linkage does not interfere) and associated jetting advice on said carb, or the 1 11/16 bore 4160 Holley 3116 770CFM unit off the 64-65 race hemi package with supporting enlargement of carb holes. These would probably be worth more than your motor. They then go through all the jetting and booster tricks. The Holley performed better than the best Carters so the mid 64-65 race hemis got the Holleys

Trust me guys I am not cutting into this intake to put a giant carb on it, last thing I need is for it to fall on it's face every time I punch it to get out in an intersection I've been there, a 500 was good enough for the factory it's good enough for me. Honestly nothing is wrong with the two barrel really I drive this car to work more often than not because it gets way better gas mileage than my Sierra and of course better gas milage mileage than my gtx. So I get there is a lot of knowledge about 273's on here but one more question. I am exploring the idea of long tube headers because I do have original manifolds, but they and the pipe attached to them are really the most ate up parts of the car, it looks like a 51 year old car underneath with 90 year old exhaust. Now I would like to know without building custom headers if anyone knows of a pair I can buy that will fit a barracuda with a 273. I ask because it's an awful tight turn to hug the block to get inside the steering column and then kick out so I don't have to pull the engine to change a starter. I would really like to avoid custom headers but the last thing I want is to get a nice set of headers in the mail and start bending the hell out of them so my starter still has a place to live. I'm open to short tube headers as well if they fit well I was just exploring long tube because if I have to redo the pipe it would be nice to size it all up from underneath the car already.

Headers have got to help. A little bigger carb too. (600 isn't overcarbing ) The original 2 barrel exhaust is tiny. The HP 273 single exhaust works well. It is sold by Accurite LTD but it is spendy. A dual system off the stock manifolds with a h or Y pipe is good stuff too.

I had a 64 Valiant 200 that originally came with a slant 6 and a 4-speed. The previous owner switched it over to a 273 - 2 barrel carb, 4-speed car. I decided to go with a D4B and a Carter that I got from a buddy at work. Turns out the Carter was from an early max wedge (not sure of the carb number). Needless to say, the car ran great with it on. Even with the 2 barrel slugs in it. I miss that car.

use the small Magnum starter
I said I like AVS but if this is a street ,non matching number build, use a 318 TQ
do not go big on the headers 1 5/8 should work
WE all miss the cars we should have kept
like the Nova 327 FI 4 speed where the bump steer nearly killed me (same bump steer as a non Shelby 350 early Mustang)

-
Back