302 heads

-

mopops

Reaction score
I want to use 302 heads on a 318 they have been rebuilt- my son says they are boat anchors others say keep em i want to run a cam up grade any thoughts about using the 302 s ? thanks

I dont think you'll notice a power difference.
Go magnum type head like EQ or even stock.

As already said, have them crack checked, and I think a worth while up grade would be to load them with a set of 1.88, 1.6 valves.
Good luck

Yea, 273 is right about that. The 302 head can be ported out very well but dime for dime if you do anything with them, run them as is. If they need a rebuild, chop them up for fishing weight sinkers or door stops. By the time you spend dollars on them, you could have had a better head.

As is, there fine for general performance

302 heads have two things going for them.....they are high compression heads (usually 69cc) and they have the heat treated valve seats for the newer fuel (gas). They also have larger exhaust ports relative to 318 heads. So I don't see any draw backs???
I put them on my '69 318 and they have worked out great!!!

treblig

you read post on here there junk 318 heads, look on internet see every thing from junk to best oe sbm head made! got a set and been researching for couple years heres what im thinking! good head for a stock to mild 318 in stock form, bigger valves and porting good for 318 mild to 400 hp,..good head for torque/truck motor no bigger than 360! 400 hp seems to be there max with all the tricks! go to shady dells sight and look at the stock and ported flow numbers then look a the J's and the magnums! flow numbers tell the tale, bout .450 lift and the 302's are done!! but for a 350/375 hp 6000 rpm or lower redlined 318 street car yeah there bout best LA head for that it appears...id like to hear an see more real world experience and less opinion witch is all i have...

Shady Dell Speed Shop Mopar Dodge And Plymouth Cylinder Heads - Mopar Muscle Magazine 302 heads

302 heads1.jpg

302 heads2.jpg

302 heads have two things going for them.....they are high compression heads (usually 69cc) and they have the heat treated valve seats for the newer fuel (gas). They also have larger exhaust ports relative to 318 heads. So I don't see any draw backs???
I put them on my '69 318 and they have worked out great!!!

treblig
3 things! quench pad,..can run a point to point and a half higher compression with out detonation but requires getting piston .040 from quench pad...0 deck .040 head gasket....magnums got 2 quench pads, but no shaft rockers!

my 302s were professionally ported and added 1.60 exhaust valve, in 318 with 284/484 cam i could pull to 7000,easily, now on my 360(wish id added 1.88 intakes) it pulls hard, havent gone past 6200, dont want to blow up this torque monster

my 302s were professionally ported and added 1.60 exhaust valve, in 318 with 284/484 cam i could pull to 7000,easily, now on my 360(wish id added 1.88 intakes) it pulls hard, havent gone past 6200, dont want to blow up this torque monster
any idea how much hp it made on ether or a et??

A good LA head. Closed chamber, very efficient. It will add compression without detonation. Same sized valves as other 318 heads. If you are replacing a standard 318 head you might notice a slight difference with no other changes. They would be fine with a small cam upgrade, headers and 4 barrel and intake. They really don't flow a bunch more or less than other 318 heads. As with any head, bigger valves, a port match or porting will be an improvement and as mentioned there are quite a few iron and aluminum heads available if you want to build your 318. But, bolting on a pair of Edelbrocks won't do much good without headers, cam and intake carb. It's the combination that makes the biggest difference.

you read post on here there junk 318 heads, look on internet see every thing from junk to best oe sbm head made! got a set and been researching for couple years heres what im thinking! good head for a stock to mild 318 in stock form, bigger valves and porting good for 318 mild to 400 hp,..good head for torque/truck motor no bigger than 360! 400 hp seems to be there max with all the tricks! go to shady dells sight and look at the stock and ported flow numbers then look a the J's and the magnums! flow numbers tell the tale, bout .450 lift and the 302's are done!! but for a 350/375 hp 6000 rpm or lower redlined 318 street car yeah there bout best LA head for that it appears...id like to hear an see more real world experience and less opinion witch is all i have...
I have stock rebuilt 302# heads on my 318. Runs great! Put my Dart into the 14s with missed shifts and other operator errors. A improvement from my OE heads, no doubt. Best 318 head anyway. IMO if you got em run em!

Last edited:
From I understand the OP said he's running them as is. Unless the head on his engine is in need of replacement I can't see it worth it to run 302 for a half point of cr. Now if he's tearing into it anyway for cam he could go the extra step. But I'd at least do a 318willrun port job on them a do a little milling. So it's worth it.

From I understand the OP said he's running them as is. Unless the head on his engine is in need of replacement I can't see it worth it to run 302 for a half point of cr. Now if he's tearing into it anyway for cam he could go the extra step. But I'd at least do a 318willrun port job on them a do a little milling. So it's worth it.
also got the quench pad for lil more compression!

thank u all,,, they are going on an 85 318 block in 72 dart
my 85 318 with 302s is a factory roller cam motor!!! can sent cam off to racer brown or oragon cams and re grind it to your spects for 125 bucks!!!! ...and use all the factory lifters spider n bones!!

302 heads - here is my take on the performance side.
Raises compression, which is a plus. A benefit if off-idle response is a concern. However, a closed chamber head will not flow what an open chamber head will flow. I would rather mill open chamber 318 heads .040 and take the flow over 302s'

Last edited:
Hot Rod checked them out. Here is a link: Mopar Dodge And Plymouth Cylinder Heads - Mopar Muscle Magazine
They actually don't sound bad.
There actually not to bad of a head BUT with the current crop of aftermarket heads it is a little hard to justify there expense vs. power return on or from a basic rebuild to fully ported. While they do respond very well, there ceiling is limited. IF you can get everything cheap including the work done to them, it may... MAY be worth your time and work.
You could also do some general checking around on flow rates as well as expense costs. Start with RyanJ @ shady dell speed shop. There he lists his flow rates before and after on many heads.
Also, IF you WANTED to do a set of 302 heads, for surely go with larger valves! And to be honest, I’d only use them on a mild 318 or 273. They will make some good power on the smaller mills. Not so much ch on the larger mills.
Shady Dell Speed Shop

Last edited:
I had a set on my old 318, after reading how these were the “best” heads for building power. Throttle response was crisp, but then I went with gasket matched 360 heads with 2.02, 1.60 valves and it felt like the teen could breath then. This is of course with the old seat of the pants dyno, so results may vary.

-
Back