318 Sleeper build ideas

-

Moose

Reaction score
Im thinking about building a 318 sleeper. So nothing about 340 or 360 or some big block. Ok so what you guys think? What kind of parts should I use? I was thinking a stroker kit but would that make it sound not stock? Im just going to run flowmasters for exhaust. Not to big of a cam or at least one that has little duration. Look for around 400+ hp. So please any thought or ideas. Just nothing about a 360 please. Thanks guys.

A 318 with flowmasters and enough cam to make 400 HP is not going to sound very stock... you wont fool anybody. The larger your displacement (stroker) the larger the cam you can use and still sound relatively stock. Larger displacement will also make more power without the need for a "big" camshaft

The cool thing is the bigger displacement from a stroker allows you to run a larger than stock cam and still have the stock sound. Nothing too crazy but it does help. RHS heads, 9.5 comp, 268ish cam and your right there with good drivability. If you are gonna do it though and have the coin I would put a roller cam in it.

So you guys think just get it bored or actully go with the stroker? How much power can a stroker kit? Im looking at a 349 stroker with either flat top or dome pistions

Stroker. I would contact Brian at IMM and price out a 390 rotating assy. and the heads.

Has anyone here tried a 349-390 stroker? Any specs would be awesome :read2: Thanks guys:toothy10:

I have a mild 390 in my dually truck, 268/276 voodoo, no way to pass that combo as a sleeper.... Choppitty chop..............

349 wouldn't be very impressive enough idling smooth to call it a sleeper.

I am thinking...............

390 inches.
ISKY 260/260 cam.
Good set of heads, big port, RHS, smagnum, add 1.6 rockers. (smagnum has em)
Dual plane intake.

Snap your head back from idle, sound stock, and run nice til 5K....... What could be better for a sleeper?????

I wouldnt waste time doing the 3.58 stroke package. You can get the 4" stroke setup pretty easy. But, it has to be fed. So your "sleeper" will still need good heads, cam, etc. The idea of sleeper is appearance and sound. I dont think a 4" arm engine will ever look or sound like a 318 2bbl. To that end, the 360 LA based 4" arm builds are cheaper if you have to buy a core. Anything can be done, but the same restricitons will hit you. If it was me, I'd either build a 400hp 318, which isnt real expensive but will not be really torquey, or build a 408 with mad torque, which will be more money. Visually they will both look the same.

ive always been a believer in good free flowing heads with big valves and cam will make a big difference along with free flowing exhaust as well as a good intake and carb. just my opinion. im thinking of making my dart into a sleeper using the 273. my first step though will be changing out the rearend gears to give it a little more gitty up off the line. i used to live by the rule that theres no replacement for displacement, but then i started seeing videos on youtube of slant sixes running 11s.

I'm with Moper and Justin. There is no replacement for displacement except cubic dollors to make the lack of displacement up to par with the larger engine. AKA, Turbo/superchargers are great equalizers.

A few things that help the sleeper target is;

A wider centerline on a cam. They have a smoother idle.
Muffler selection. Flow master super 44's are going to make brand-ma's 318-2bbl. car sound awesome! Summit/Jegs have there won line of mufflers that are reasonably quite and still have a decent flow abilty. Pipe size also comes into the picture. Bigger equals louder. Even if it is a full exhaust to the rear bumper.

And flowmasters........ They just don't flow, no matter what they call them. IN fact, if you read the hype of them, they BRAG about sonic backpressure or some mumbo jooazzz.....

I LOVE my Hooker Aerochambers, and not everyone has them! (However I do wonder why)

Since were going through all the trouble, He could go 60 over, giving him a 3.97 bore, .030 the 360.......... Think you could feel .030???? No way.

.060 318 roller block,4'' crank w/floater I beams, hyd roller cam, ported 1.94/1.60 11/32 stem valved Rhs/915J, 340 manifolds or headmans 'depending' , quietist mufflers that will still flow good, 2 1/2 pips dumping before the axle -straight down and with a 1 1/2 dummy pipe to the bumper as to look sleeeeeeeper

Don't forget the mother mary mirror ornament and the lame fake chrome pep boys non era correct plastic hub caps.

I've never built a stroker, so no advice there
now, I have ran a 340 with the 528 284 solid lift, purple shaft cam, it had a very mild idle and made decent power ( 112 c/l ) , if you were looking for something that sounded about stock,

Its either Flowmaster or Thrush. I like most the ideas lol especially wild&crazyguy's thats sort of the feel Im going for. Someone pm'ed me about bolt on preformence and had was making 350 at the wheels and 417 at the crank. The reason Im wanted a 318 build up is cause I have the complete block already so no need to buy another. Thanks for all your help and throw out any other ideas you guys. Thanks

Since were going through all the trouble, He could go 60 over, giving him a 3.97 bore, .030 the 360.......... Think you could feel .030???? No way.
True, just need a sonic check to know if it is do-able. Though less bore the better for stiffer stringer cylinder walls for less blow by and longevity.

I LOVE my Hooker Aerochambers, and not everyone has them!

Me 2! Not to loud at all. Even on the Hwy.

I always thought that a 318 was a detuned 340 with a smaller bore or a 340 is a hopped up 318 whatever..... Give a 318 the same specs as a 340, ( cam, heads, intake and carb, exhaust) and you are right there.
So, i would kick it up a notch from there and put a good top end that can breathe as well as headers, 10:1 compression, balance and blueprint, and a good cam like the 268 comp cams would be great for an engine like this. Use all high quality parts and gaskets. Also good machine work is a must with any build. You won't regret it. Don't go crazt with the overbore, good straight cylinders will give you more dividends in the long run than a few more cubes. A sonic check of the walls will dictate this. I think you could get 400 hp out of this combo easily, and if you had extra coin, go with the stroker crank and the roller cam and get at least 50 more h.p.
If you want it quiet, why not use imperial mufflers and a 2 1/2" exhaust?
It still will flow pretty good and will be quiet.
318's are good sleeper engines if you do them up right.
JMHO,
Tom.
This is all with a usually free engine core!

I think we all have different definitions of "sleeper"...
If you're basically looking for some more power, bolt ons are fine...

I always thought that a 318 was a detuned 340 with a smaller bore or a 340 is a hopped up 318 whatever..... Give a 318 the same specs as a 340, ( cam, heads, intake and carb, exhaust) and you are right there.
So, i would kick it up a notch from there and put a good top end that can breathe as well as headers, 10:1 compression, balance and blueprint, and a good cam like the 268 comp cams would be great for an engine like this. Use all high quality parts and gaskets. Also good machine work is a must with any build. You won't regret it. Don't go crazt with the overbore, good straight cylinders will give you more dividends in the long run than a few more cubes. A sonic check of the walls will dictate this. I think you could get 400 hp out of this combo easily, and if you had extra coin, go with the stroker crank and the roller cam and get at least 50 more h.p.
If you want it quiet, why not use imperial mufflers and a 2 1/2" exhaust?
It still will flow pretty good and will be quiet.
318's are good sleeper engines if you do them up right.
JMHO,
Tom.
This is all with a usually free engine core!

Couldn't agree more, especially on the bore. If using pump gas I'd lower the compression also. Why spend all that extra money when you have a good crank and rods already.

Im thinking about building a 318 sleeper. So nothing about 340 or 360 or some big block. Ok so what you guys think? What kind of parts should I use? I was thinking a stroker kit but would that make it sound not stock? Im just going to run flowmasters for exhaust. Not to big of a cam or at least one that has little duration. Look for around 400+ hp. So please any thought or ideas. Just nothing about a 360 please. Thanks guys.

hey i have 1981 dodge ram prospector with a 318, it has a edelbrock thunder series 650 cfm and a preformer intake maifold, comp plus cam 260 durriation 110 dergree centr line 112 overlap 0.454 lift, headman headders and thrush exhaust it runs well and im sure if u seen the truck its deffinatly a sleeper... lol the only thing is i advanced the cam 4 degrees and id suggest it she runs 10 times better i trued the heads 10 thousandths valves 60 thousandths 30 degree angle its ok so thats what i have and i enjoy it so just some suggestions.

-
Back