360 magnum or 440??

-
Babyblu66 if you will reread my post you will see that I wrote "break parts LESS often, NOT "all the time" as you said. Would you be willing to put a 742 case behind a 600 lb torque monster. And would you be willing to drive it with 9 inch front drum brakes? Hammering torque means heavier duty parts. His post about having a substantially enhanced rear suspension was made AFTER the comment I made. I made the assumption that he wasn't a Texas oil millionaire and didn't want to have to beef up what he already had. Excuse me for thinking that most people who want to upgrade their motors want to do it without having to spend lots of money to upgrade the rest of the car.

man i started an argument over this already lol. though i would like to be a texas oil millionaire lol.

I'm also contemplating either a 408 or a 512. I think I'm going small block though because I figure there will be an extra $800 (approx.) involved in putting the big block in between engine mounts and headers. And I don't think the Schumaker tri-y's will support the 550 horse big block. The 408 will slip right in in place of the 318. I also have a 4 speed and have heard people have troubles with clutch linkage with the big block. Still thinking on it though so I'll be watching this thread.

I was looking at the Show Your Big Block thread and it struck me that they really have a certain "awesomeness" about them. And I want that!!!! Visually it's kinda like a well endowed woman. No explanation about "well, it's a stroker ya see, with 408 cubic inches and........." is necessary. Ya just know it's bad-*** by looking at it! I've already got all my parts together for a 408 and it ain't cheap. I've already got a fresh, all forged, 10-1cr, 440 on a stand I was gonna put in an early B-body and now I'm sayin' "dang, I coulda just put the 440 in my 67 Notch" . Yes, more hassle maybe. But, Yes!, Very very Kool! My couple pennies........

I vote for big block......fills in the gaps better that and no need to power brake to get the rubs rotating. Notice I also enjoy power steering and A/C.

A 340 is a sweet choice for daily demonizing as well.

What do you think? That's all that really matters.8)

Mop

100_2582w.jpg

I am stuck with the same dilemma. Right now I am good with my fairly mild 318, but I know that I will want more. I have a 440/727 sitting in the corner of my garage, but a stroked magnum is calling to me also. I am in the process of tubbing the dart, narrowing the 31 spline 9" (I know, I know I already had it for another project) with detroit locker and 3.89 gears. So my rear will handle it. My biggest hang up is the headers, but I have located a set of HP manifolds. HMMMM what to do?

thanks for the input every one. ive decided to go with the 440. now all i got to do is sell my 360 magnum block and TF904 lol.

ok guys and gals here is my delema at hand. im going to be building a stroker motor for the dart the question is should i give up the idea of building a stroked magnum 360 and move on to going with a 440 (stroked ofcourse)? i know there are far more after market parts avail for a 440 and not so much for a magnum. should i sell my magnum block and 904 tranny and go to a 440 on stay with the small block? thanks peeps. joe
One thing you must remember when running a big block in a dart is that the 440 will run hot , the best cooling system is the be cool 1000 hp rated system for A bodies comes with 2 ,13 inch elec fans pulling 3600 cfms ,I ran this cooling system in a 68 valiant with a 440 .its the best .

I am stuck with the same dilemma. Right now I am good with my fairly mild 318, but I know that I will want more. I have a 440/727 sitting in the corner of my garage, but a stroked magnum is calling to me also. I am in the process of tubbing the dart, narrowing the 31 spline 9" (I know, I know I already had it for another project) with detroit locker and 3.89 gears. So my rear will handle it. My biggest hang up is the headers, but I have located a set of HP manifolds. HMMMM what to do?
Try the headers from pro parts it’s super easy to install and some modifications is on the drivers side and passenger side because one of the header tubs goes through the side .looks cool and let’s the motor breath .

Last edited:
If you go with the hp exhaust manifolds it’s a credit card fit on the passenger side between the exhaust manifold and the shock tower . Real tight

One thing you must remember when running a big block in a dart is that the 440 will run hot , the best cooling system is the be cool 1000 hp rated system for A bodies comes with 2 ,13 inch elec fans pulling 3600 cfms ,I ran this cooling system in a 68 valiant with a 440 .its the best .

**** my big block abodies (64 valiant and 72 demon) both ran at 180* with a stock 22” rad recorded with a stagered 3 row core and belt driven fan.

Try the headers from pro parts it’s super easy to install and some modifications is on the drivers side and passenger side because one of the header tubs goes through the side .looks cool and let’s the motor breath .

I ran those on my demon. Very nice header

I vote for big block......fills in the gaps better that and no need to power brake to get the rubs rotating. Notice I also enjoy power steering and A/C.

A 340 is a sweet choice for daily demonizing as well.

What do you think? That's all that really matters.8)

Mop

View attachment 95399
Wow that’s really nice what color is the engine compartment .?

I have a 26" champion radiator that i use with my 413 and runs cool all day even in the 90°heat.

Use a 400 and make a real high torque 451. It fits good, looks good and runs great! Btw exhaust manifolds fit fine. Use enough aluminum parts and it weighs less than a 318. Also raced and street drove a 68 cuda with a 440 and NOS with manual brakes,drums and manual steering. Had no troubles stopping or steering. Just make sure you keep your parts up. Technology is overrated. The ramchargers with their bigblock cars raced and went very fast on manual drum brakes.

Use a 400 and make a real high torque 451. It fits good, looks good and runs great! Btw exhaust manifolds fit fine. Use enough aluminum parts and it weighs less than a 318. Also raced and street drove a 68 cuda with a 440 and NOS with manual brakes,drums and manual steering. Had no troubles stopping or steering. Just make sure you keep your parts up. Technology is overrated. The ramchargers with their bigblock cars raced and went very fast on manual drum brakes.
This guy is half a mental case. If your going to a 400 block, go to a 470 at a min. Screw the 451.

Ether way, have fun .

My only advice....
Over build it and add

Ba ba ba ba ba boooooooooost!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/
Or
TorqStorm Superchargers - Self-contained Supercharger Kits designed and made in the USA
Or if you need it sticking out of the hood;
Blowers -471, 671 & 871 : Blower Drive Service, We Deliver Horsepower

Have fun, dream on, move along.....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
wouldn`t keep my 440/505 cool !!

If I were going to do it over, I`d build the biggest/reliable small block I could afford. Would be fast/strong, liter weight with the same alum. parts , more room in the engine compartment, and not have nearly the traction problems of a 755 h,p. big block w/ monster torque .---------jmo

Last edited:
-
Back