360 or 340?

-
Just another data point on costs.

The machine shop I used for my 360 build charges;

$25 each for cleaning, magnifluxing, resizing and installing new bolts plus the price of the bolts for rod reconditioning (ARP Bolts are $60 for a total of $260). They suggested I take a look at new rods from Eagle or Scat. I wound up going with the Eagle SIR rods and saved about $25 and wound up with a stronger rod with floating pins and ARP cap screws.

To have my crank cleaned, magnifluxed, ground 0.010" under size and polished cost $225.

To have my Block cleaned, magnifluxed, square decked, bored 0.030" over with finish honing with deck plates, new cam bearings installed and painted was $800.

Balancing of the rotating assembly was $250, this is a must with the SIR rods and KB107 pistons because they are so much lighter.

I didn't have any machine work done on the heads, they came from a low mileage Durango that spun a bearing under warranty.

holy sht!

why so expensive??

whats weird too is that It costs $600-800 for block work here... but even still only costs $9-$12 a rod for resize.
The pistons are removed, then they hit the solvent tank, then the cap and rod both have .003 removed on the cap facer/grinder, new bolts pressed, then they hit the sunnen rod hone machine and are checked there as well.
It's easy.
To polish a crank costs $45
A balance around here is anywhere from $125-$200 depends on type/metal amount

I agree with a lot of the people here. If you have a 340 and a 360, build the 340. If you have neither and have to buy one, go buy a 360. They are similar engines and built with the same parts are near equal. It is kind of like the GM guys comparing a 305 to 307.

In your situation , NO replacement for displacment = 360.. BUT i live and breath "340's" , nothing like a Factory 340 Dart , Duster displaying the 340 badges on the hood or quarter panel ..... 340 ![/B]

holy sht!

why so expensive??

whats weird too is that It costs $600-800 for block work here... but even still only costs $9-$12 a rod for resize.
The pistons are removed, then they hit the solvent tank, then the cap and rod both have .003 removed on the cap facer/grinder, new bolts pressed, then they hit the sunnen rod hone machine and are checked there as well.
It's easy.

The shop I used also magnifluxes them before starting and mkes sure they are straight and weight matches when done.

The shop I used also magnifluxes them before starting and mkes sure they are straight and weight matches when done.

They mag'em too.

certain rods don't bend and twist, those that do...for instance a 350 in a rebuild, get the straightness check. These funky rods like mentioned show their issue on the piston/rod bearing itself usually.

the signs of a bent/twisted rod show to experienced machinists.
And it's know to these same machinists that certain makes require checking.

the weight equalization is done during the balance however, unless you ask for it before, as in your not having that shop do all the work. In the balance process they're lightened to the lightest rod in the bunch

I have not heard of a factory 360 going 11.88 @110 in an A body there maybe some I have an 340 demon that has gone 11.88 @ 110 as E/S CAR IN NHRA STOCK ELM. that being said with today gas I belive for a street car the 360 or a mild 318 may be the better way to go if it is a drag race only car and you are going the stroker rought then the 340 block is has been said here before the only subtute for cubis in. is cubic money that is my $.02 worth
the motor you see in my pic is a 360 block with 340 J heads works good.

holy sht!

why so expensive??

It's easy.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, the great variations of price and locations.

-
Back