408 vs 600 stroker

-
Sounds like you're intrigued by forced induction? Or at least you want something that gets the local hangout talking about it?

I'd just "force" the 360". I think it would end up more reliable and still make plenty of power. If you want a true n/a 550hp that's still streetable, do a 470/500" RB big block. If you want to make some "racey" noise around town, do the 440" with a big solid cam and sound like a Pro Stocker.....:)

Will a stock 5 speed hold up to a 408 with a turbo? Is twin turbo worth extra time and money? If the tranny won't hold up what should I do to it....

I am not a troll or 13, I am trying to learn and I do use Google but half the people say do this, then the other half say never do it do this.... I don't mean to sound mean but if u don't have anything beneifical to say u can just move along... I am not trying to give a sob story but when u guys were first learning about cars, I am sure u had a person to ask all your "troll" questions to. I don't have that, unless I go to pep boy's.

To all the people genunaly interested I will keep u posted

I really like the sound of turbos.... At least the bov. But I am doing an american muscle car.... You know? And IMO as cool as the turbo is it kinda reminds me of a ricer lol... So I am torn lol

I really like the sound of turbos.... At least the bov. But I am doing an american muscle car.... You know? And IMO as cool as the turbo is it kinda reminds me of a ricer lol... So I am torn lol

ProChargers backlash on the gears makes a nice audible hum at low RPMs.
Mash the gas and the tone changes.
Let go of the gas and you will hear the BOF realease the boost, sort of the same as a turbo.

I got a little extra cash, I am going to do a supercharged 408.... I already have the block, were should I start?

Buy a blower,(aks supercharger) and put it on you bench, so you can drool on it, until you get the rest done.

You are going to need forged pistons(some people will argue this point) the stock 360 has low enough compression ratio for the blower, but the cast piston could crack.

IF the 360 is in good working order, you could buy the blower and bolt it on. and buy blower pulleys that will keep the boost minimal. still will make some real good power.

It will make enough power to start braking the stock drive train, as you keep installing big pulleys(spin faster, makes more boost). After you "rebuild" that smoked 904 transmission. replace the 7-1/4 rear end for a 8-1/4 or a better, a 8-3/4 rear.

NOW! At this point you've had a LOT of fun and learned a lot!!!!! Now you will have a GRATE insight in to the dream that you have first posted up!

are you going to run a/c an the car you get? 3v is for air conditioning?????

street show or street strip.

Street & Show said, Show and occasional trip to the Strip.

We did this one last year...made 760HP with a 4" pulley and 15psi using water injection.

Attachments

• DSC00858.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC00861.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC00860.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 289
This one was fun too!

Attachments

• DSC01471.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC01473.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 272
I'd probably use it mainly on the street. If I owned it for 20 years I'd probably only take it to the track a hand full of times.
I'd run alternator, water pump, and power steering
Its been a few years since I owned a duster, do they come with factory ac (1970-72)

How would a std stroke 440 (all forged alunium internals) running boost (8-16 lb) what are estimated HP. Since I am not going turbo route I am kind of digging a 440 ( I really don't want to do a lot of fender work.

yeah you could get ac it was optional of course if you run a 440 youre gonna have to have manual brakes, and headers are gonna be one of the more difficult parts to figure out in the build. also a standard 440 block is really only safe for up to 650 maybe 700hp if youre lucky if youre after anything more than that youre gonna need an aftermarket block to be safe. no idea on power for 8-16 lbs of boost im sure other factors make a big difference in the power outcome. but id guess you may be pushing that 650- 700 horse.

I'd probably use it mainly on the street. If I owned it for 20 years I'd probably only take it to the track a hand full of times.

I don't doubt you have some experience with a fairly quick street car.....But do you realize what 5,6,700+ horsepower is like in a "A body" weight car? If you want a car that grabs attention every where you go, and to show off at cruise nights and car shows, then by all means, build a "Street Freak" that all us A body fans can be proud of :thumbrig:. If you're just looking for a real driver that can hang with most street cars, you should scale things back a bit in my opinion. A 400 to 500 horsepower naturally aspirated 3200lb car can sound nasty and still have plenty of power to get you into serious trouble.

Good luck with the build.....I'm conservative as far as street builds, but i'll be watching your progress. :)

The car is more for me, I have had 5 dusters with all amazing dreams and for some reason or another they are all a thing of the past. And in all the cars I have had, a week in to owning it, I wish I have had gone bigger or better. I plan on sinking a nest egg in to this duster. So when I complete this I want to say this is to much not regret anything. Plus a charger piping threw the hood is orgasmatic. As far as daily driver? No I have a few other "ecofriendly" cars that I can drive with out taking a loan to for the pump.... This duster on the other hand, I want to take it out on payday to the gas station and back

Had a friend many yrs ago,, that had a gutted blower on the engine,, all linkages were hidden,, and he had a 4bbl carb hidden underneath,, had blower drive whine,, the whole effect,, without any headaches..

It was a real head turner,, and his "knowing" grin,, was wider than the hotrod.. lol

If he was challenged to a race,, he explained it would burn the tires for 2 blocks,, but he had a 56 Ford 2dr POS, called "SPOT", with a 428 in it,, stripped down car,, with 2 bucket seats, no interior,, he won more than he lost..

Ou812 do u have any superchargers for sale?

No sorry I don't...most everything we do is per application. I try to never stock much because everything we do is custom per customer. This way they get what they want!

I get ours from the supercharger store. Or BDS depending on your flavor...;-)

-
Back