64 Barracuda slow going.

-
Ok finally a new update. I just got my Barracuda back after having a not so local (way out in Modesto ca.)machine shop do a full rebuild on my worn 273.
I made some changes in the interest of drivablity and ease of maintenance for my dad who will end up with it when its all done. Instead of the higher compression 10.5:1 pistons that I thought might be a good upgrade, I went with stock 8.8:1 pistons and the shop decked the block for a super flat surface and higher compression . Ended up about 9.5:1 . I had them also install a cam with slightly bigger lift and duration so it'd sound a little loppy (i think I said that right lol). And of course new valves and seats that allow use of unleaded gas. They also installed my Edelbrock D4b intake and Carter afb 4 barrel carb. First the negatives, the Carter afb carb that I bought used didnt work and needed too much (full rebuild )to work properly so I just ordered a new Edelbrock 500cfm carb and had them install it. I then resold the Carter. Next the orange respray paint they did on the engine and valve covers isnt very good and ill have to redo it when I can (not really a big deal).
I didnt have a proper original style aircleaner for the new carb so I just had to get a too small cheap chrome one temporarily. I also dont like how the new carb looks so.....new ha ha.
Now the positives, it starts fast and easy, it sounds really great to me and thats with the stock restrictive exhaust manifolds still.
It feels much more responsive and keeps up easily with traffic around town and thats even with it not kicking down and shifting too early something ill get to next.

20170618_083250.jpg

20170505_112807.jpg

20170505_112759.jpg

20170505_112814.jpg

Also I went with a hydraulic lifter and cam combo so that my dad wouldnt need to worry about valve lash adjustments. Unfortunately two days after I got it back and was enjoying the break in period the car died afyer I parked and wouldnt start. I was freaking out since I couldnt find the solution easily. Im not versed in electrical work at all so I started a thread on my favorite forum about my problem and immediately got back alot of super helpful advice. I cant say enough about all the great guys and wonderful help ive gotten on FABO so far and it was thanks to you all and especially 67dart273 that I was able to track the problem down to the NSS ground causing my dead car. I drove it again today to work and am soooo thrilled.
Now back to the shifting problem. It appears that the new carb is causing the shift linkage to not kick down when I mash the pedal to the floor. I called the shop that did the RnR on the motor and they confirmed that it needs to be lengthened a little 1/4" to 1/2" to shift up at a higher rpm than it does now and for the kick down to work. I tried to unthread the end of the linkage to adust it but it was only on tje last 2 threads already. Does anyone know where I can get one of these but much longer, or a spacer? If not im sure ill come up with something. I did some searching about the linkage and it appears that if its too short the kickdown wont work and itll upshift too soon and maybe even cause slippage or damage so im going to fix and adjust this asap. But otherwise im super happy and cant wait to tackle the headliner next after I get the shifting sorted.

1498581162809-2038463665.jpg

Oh and please dont be harsh on the looks . Im totally planning to repaint the intake to match and change out the valve covers and air cleaner as well as some other small cosmetic improvements in the engine bay later.

Sounds like a great job with the engine. Was it a Mopar engine builder that did the rebuild?

Great idea making it more user friendly for your dad. One safety upgrade many do is replacing the factory one-pot brake master cylinder with a dual master cylinder. The dual master cylinder allows you to keep brakes to one end of the car (front or back) if the other develops a leak.

I have an extension on my kickdown linkage but it was already there when I got it. Its an extension that screws into the rod, then the end in your pic screws into it. Hopefully someone will know where to find them.

You are doing a fantastic job. Can't wait to get back to work on mine. Leaving the hospital today and after a couple of days maybe I can get started again

Sounds like a great job with the engine. Was it a Mopar engine builder that did the rebuild?

Great idea making it more user friendly for your dad. One safety upgrade many do is replacing the factory one-pot brake master cylinder with a dual master cylinder. The dual master cylinder allows you to keep brakes to one end of the car (front or back) if the other develops a leak.

I have an extension on my kickdown linkage but it was already there when I got it. Its an extension that screws into the rod, then the end in your pic screws into it. Hopefully someone will know where to find them.
Nah it wasnt an exclusively mopar engine builder but it was a small shop in Modesto and after talking to alot of different places this guy seemed to know his Chrysler products well. We was already familiar with the specs and 273 versions before I even mentioned it so that was a good sign.
I totally agree about the dual master cylinder and will try to do that this summer if I can.

You are doing a fantastic job. Can't wait to get back to work on mine. Leaving the hospital today and after a couple of days maybe I can get started again
I hope your doing well after whatever put you in the hospital. I hope you get to work on yours soon. It looks really straight, I wish mine was that straight.

Ok so I finally tackled the headliner yesterday. Before I post up a few pics and give you all a good laugh I will tell you about my mistakes.
First of all I decided to go cheap and not remove the glass and replace the glass seals after doing the headliner. This was mistake nuber one because when a car has 53 year old glass seals they arent rubber anymore and are more like plastic lol.
This made tucking the headliner under the rubber nearly impossible.
Next I didnt cut back the bow sleeves in the headliner to expose 2-3 inches of bow while it was still out. This is much harder after you start the install.
I did leave the headliner in the hot hot sun for a couple hours to soften it up but it just cools down while you fight with it for hours ha ha.
My wonderful girlfriend was nice enough to help for what ended up taking many hours of hard work so I still consider the job a success since I now have some sound deadening and heat insulation on my roof to keep this car from being an oven this summer.
I didnt have access to electricity so Im still hoping that maybe later using a hair dryer or steamer I can smooth out some more wrinkles.
All in it cost me less than $100 and took about 6 hours start to finish. Am I happy with the results? ehhhhh. Would I do it again? Yup, learned a TON of things about how hard this is to do and all the things to do right next time.
The cheapest quote I was able to get for a shop to do it was $500, $350 if I have no glass in it. and I will probably go that route when I go to get the front and back glass replaced (needs seals bad)and get a paint job all at the same time in the future when budget allows.
Glad I did this just for the experience and also makes the interior cooler and quieter.
So heres a few pics of my first maybe last Lol headliner install.

Im thinking that with alittle more work and some heat like a blow dryer or a steamer since I have one I might get it to look 10% better. But its just a daily driver for now and not a show car so im good with it for awhile.

Thanks for posting! I knew you were wanting to do it, and I was waiting to hear your experience. I can imagine how stiff that rubber was to try to get under!!!

So, when I do mine, I'll need to find a helper, huh! My other half isn't near as limber as I am, lol.

Thanks for posting! I knew you were wanting to do it, and I was waiting to hear your experience. I can imagine how stiff that rubber was to try to get under!!!

So, when I do mine, I'll need to find a helper, huh! My other half isn't near as limber as I am, lol.
Oh yeah for sure, a helper is a must. I would suggest of course watching some you tube vids also. And set aside a whole weekend not just half a day like I did.

Oh yeah for sure, a helper is a must. I would suggest of course watching some you tube vids also. And set aside a whole weekend not just half a day like I did.
Let me know how it goes for you. Its definitely doable.

One more update, I just got the threadrod and barrel nut to extend my carburetor shift linkage to the proper length and after some test drives and readjustments it shifts perfectly now. Kicks down a gear to pass just right also. I spent today stripping and repainting my old original cast iron 2 barrel manifold and getting it ready along with the original carter carb for storage.

I would like to start removing the trim peices along the rear quarter tops and the roof rails but im not sure how to do so without damaging them at all. Any special tools required? I will be googling vids and tips tonight when I have time hopefully.
Im just itching to start on the couple of dents its got.

About to paint the original air cleaner today and wrap up the whole intake combo for storage incase I ever want to go back to original.

20170723_130128.jpg

20170713_201836.jpg

Nice. Coming along beautifully. Dad will be thrilled to drive it.
I downloaded the manual for 65 Barracuda i bought a few weeks ago. Cant believe they have a section on headliner replacement.
Mine is all blown apart, a pile of pieces. Everything is done underside. But a car full of loose bits. Looking forward to seeing your finished project.

Nice. Coming along beautifully. Dad will be thrilled to drive it.
I downloaded the manual for 65 Barracuda i bought a few weeks ago. Cant believe they have a section on headliner replacement.
Mine is all blown apart, a pile of pieces. Everything is done underside. But a car full of loose bits. Looking forward to seeing your finished project.
Im sure yours is going to come out awesomely, especially having it all apart and glass out will make it much easier and look better. Still alot of work to do a headliner but I look forward to trying mine again someday.
Ive really been loving driving it everyday and its amazing the attention it gets even in this rough cosmetic shape. Im currently redoing the rotted armrests and will have pics to post up soon.
I look forward to seeing yours when its done, I have a feeling its going to be one sweet 65'.

Heres a few pics of my arm rests. I know its no where near "Factory " looking but the old ones were totally rotted out and I needed something fast since I drive it daily.
It only cost me less than $15 for the vinyl and flip flops that I used for foam.
After redoing them this time I realized I could do alot better next time but will wait until im done with the rest of the car to re adress the arm rests.

20170812_111523.jpg

20170812_081025.jpg

20170813_115031.jpg

20170813_115051.jpg

20170813_115125.jpg

My engine is near done,moved it out to prepare for trans overhaul.
Then rear diff.
Your headliner job inspired me to follow a similar path,i want to get it done first,as usually that is what never gets done. Once it moves under its own power, then onwards.
Keep up the great work.

My engine is near done,moved it out to prepare for trans overhaul.
Then rear diff.
Your headliner job inspired me to follow a similar path,i want to get it done first,as usually that is what never gets done. Once it moves under its own power, then onwards.
Keep up the great work.
Make sure to post some pics, once its moving under it's own power it's easier to be motivated to try to make progress. At least it was for me. Cant wait to see yours all done and ready to cruise. Keep at it.

Getting sprayed today : ) it's going to be a long weekend, hopefully I get the trim all back on and the rubber window and door seals installed so I can get back on the road by monday.

IMG_1139.jpg

-
Back