66 Barracuda options ?

-

Papa Jon

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the option choices for a 66 Barracuda. From what I have found out is that the Rallye Pack option This variant of the V-8 featured not only a hotter cam and a four-barrel carburetor, but also a bump in compression, from 8.8:1 to 10.5:1, and a dual point distributor, heavy-duty springs and shocks and an anti-roll bar. The Formula S package--netted buyers with 14-inch wheels with wide-tread tires, simulated bolt-on wheel covers and a tachometer, plus the Rallye Pack equipment. Is this correct that the "S" code had 14 wheels ? and were they blue streak tires ? Also did all the V8 cars have dual exhaust ?

There was a couple options
Basic - radio and mirrors
Sport - wood grain steering wheel, better wheel covers and white walls 7.00 x 13
Rallye Pack was suspension - thicker torsion bars, shocks and additional leafs in the springs, front sway bar
The formual s package included the rallye pack plus the 273 commando (235 hp) and tach (instead of performance gauge) 14x4.5 on 6.95 x 14

No dual exhaust- y exhaust to a single pipe

Also - the 273 commando could be ordered by itself

Sport - wood grain steering wheel, better wheel covers and white walls 7.00 x 13
Rallye Pack was suspension - thicker torsion bars, shocks and additional leafs in the springs, front sway bar
The formual s package included the rallye pack plus the 273 commando (235 hp) and tach (instead of performance gauge) 14x4.5 on 6.95 x 14

Thanks . My 66 (not a Rallye or S code has had the exhaust replaced with duals. I was wondering if this was an option or just an upgraded system. I did find that Accurate Exhaust Products offers a hipo factory exhaust system for the car but it has the Y pipe as you mentioned.

As a matter of fact, you could order every Formula S option seperate, not order the Rallye pack option, and still have a Formula S optioned car in a plain Jane wrapper, such as a Valiant! Part of the option list also included the 892-893 torsion bars!

And as stated above, no early Cuda, Dart, or Valiant had dual exhaust, the passenger side torsion bar crossmember wasn't even sectioned out for the pipe to go through! I make a converted trans crossmember that allows the passenger side pipe to pass through for those who wish to run dual exhaust! The 4 bbl cars did have an upgraded exhaust system over the 2 bbl cars, which Accurate Exhaust reproduces, but it is $900+ for the complete setup! The 4 bbl cars are actually tuned to run this system, and it has a cool sound due to the resonator at the rear end!!

Pic of my converted crossmember!!....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 271
As a matter of fact, you could order every Formula S option seperate, not order the Rallye pack option, and still have a Formula S optioned car in a plain Jane wrapper, such as a Valiant! Part of the option list also included the 892-893 torsion bars!

And as stated above, no early Cuda, Dart, or Valiant had dual exhaust, the passenger side torsion bar crossmember wasn't even sectioned out for the pipe to go through! I make a converted trans crossmember that allows the passenger side pipe to pass through for those who wish to run dual exhaust! The 4 bbl cars did have an upgraded exhaust system over the 2 bbl cars, which Accurate Exhaust reproduces, but it is $900+ for the complete setup! The 4 bbl cars are actually tuned to run this system, and it has a cool sound due to the resonator at the rear end!!

Pic of my converted crossmember!!....
Some day I will have to crawl under the White Fish and see what was done. Thanks

Walden Exhaust quoted a price of 535 for the hypo exhaust system or about 100 more for a stainless set. They were recommended by a friend on this site

I didnt think you could get a tach with anything but an "S" but that may be true for a 65. Welcome aboard. the single resonator exhaust wasnt bad with the 273 but the 273/4 sure could benefit from duals, and his cutout makes it nice and tight underneath.

I'm no expert, but an engineer from Chrysler who is in a local car club says the way the hypo exhaust system was designed, the 273 commando will perform better than with dual exhaust. Not trying to get an argument started, just repeating what an expert said. He was with Chrysler when the hypo was designed. Any thoughts. I am replacing the dual's on mine with the hypo system once I finish the complete restoration.

Tach was available as an option on any V8 '66 Barracuda (and later).

This is an original Y-pipe from a '67 273 four barrel Dart GT.

Attachments

• img117.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 242
I'm no expert, but an engineer from Chrysler who is in a local car club says the way the hypo exhaust system was designed, the 273 commando will perform better than with dual exhaust. Not trying to get an argument started, just repeating what an expert said. He was with Chrysler when the hypo was designed. Any thoughts. I am replacing the dual's on mine with the hypo system once I finish the complete restoration.

Well Tommy, I can dispute that fact with him, given the fact that the drivers side exhaust is so restrictive, and the way the 2 pipes are crimped down where the Y meets, I would offer this....the Ddart from 66 included a set of headers in the trunk to allow the engine to make 275hp! Doug Thorley was the designer of the headers, and is still making them, completely underchassis, so IMO, and Chryslers, is that correct, unrestricted headers into dual exhaust will win out over the drivers side manifold and that Y pipe everytime, especially with all of the technology we have today over 1966's best offerings!!

No argument here. I just prefer to go back to the condition as it left the factory. Mine will not be a race car, just a fun car to enjoy.

No argument here. I just prefer to go back to the condition as it left the factory. Mine will not be a race car, just a fun car to enjoy.

...and I know that the cars love the Accurate system, and it sounds cool as heck!! I know you'll love it too!!!

My exhaust guy has the capability to exactly reproduce the original system, and we just talked yesterday at the WPC about him making a bunch of them for a friend of mine, who has an NOS system but doesn't want to use it! He would not only have the NOS stuff to go by, but he has all the original cards from back in the day, and an $8k state of the art laser mandrel bender with this super cool thing you put in the end of the tube that tells the computer exactly where to bend, at what angle, and at the exact degree!!! Of course, he would still have to make the crimp on the Y, or modify it like Accurate did, but he's willing to make me whatever I want if I bring him my test mule!!!

...and I know that the cars love the Accurate system, and it sounds cool as heck!! I know you'll love it too!!!

My exhaust guy has the capability to exactly reproduce the original system, and we just talked yesterday at the WPC about him making a bunch of them for a friend of mine, who has an NOS system but doesn't want to use it! He would not only have the NOS stuff to go by, but he has all the original cards from back in the day, and an $8k state of the art laser mandrel bender with this super cool thing you put in the end of the tube that tells the computer exactly where to bend, at what angle, and at the exact degree!!! Of course, he would still have to make the crimp on the Y, or modify it like Accurate did, but he's willing to make me whatever I want if I bring him my test mule!!!

Let me know as I would be interested also.

Waldons Exhaust has a really nice set up. Suppose to be the same as original for 535 for regular or 100 more for stainless. This is a quote from last year. I have everything I need to run my exhaust except the muffler. Not sure the proper size and length I will need. I haven't opened the box with the pipes in them, but did open the resonator just to check it out. It came from Dales Cuda Shop. Cost 205 total including shipping. Looks great. Now if April 1st will come on and get here, I am retiring and can get to do some serious work on mine. I just checked Waldens prices. 580 for aluminized steel and 730 for stainless. that included hangers and clamps. Sounds like a great price

Engineers in the same position wanted duals desperately for the Slant so....? But both "wanted" six system and production V8 designs incorporated a single exhaust tip which I would be great with as long as it didnt choke anything. Cosgig, have your man make a nice mandrel Y with a collector, that necks down to the 2.5 exhaust to the resonator. That would be a great addition. Heck, if you got the mule, mandrel up some new $175 early A headers!

These are shots of the actual D/Dart headers and y-pipe on an actual D/Dart. Still have the system.

Attachments

• P1010342.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 173
  • P1010340.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 173
  • P1010339.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 197
  • P1010334.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 180
  • P1010324.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 165
If I. Were going to be running headers I might go with dual exhaust. I know mine sounds great as it is. It's just a personal desire to stay with the stock formula
My friend may be wrong, but I am going to give it a go.if worse comes to worse I have the parts to change it back

Good day ya'all
Found this in a book of info manual full of great stuff.
Thanks, C.
.1.png

Nice find. Here is some more detail around that. Somewhere I have a break out of the groups - Rallye, Sport and Formula S. Also, please keep in mind, AC was around $330 bucks, which was 1/10th the cost of the car (usually around $3200)

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0040a.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

I am curious, to all 66 owners, cuda, dart, valiant. etc. Do you have factory rear seat belts and are they retractable or straps? Does the female seat belt connector have dual square holes or side indents?

My 65 just has straps. I would think the 66 might be the same

-
Back