'69 Dart rear suspension kit questions (RMS and ControlFreak)

-

Nitrocide595

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm doing some research for my '69 Dart project. I'll be running a 440 and 727 combo to an 8 3/4 rear, using the car for street driving and some racing at the drag strip and auto cross.

That being said, I had a few questions for anyone who's used the 4 link kits that RMS and ControlFreak offer for the Dart.

First, I'd like to know how wide a tire (with a mini-tub) you guys were able to fit in the rear and with which kit. I know the inner fender wells only go in an inch or two before you run parallel with the frame rail anyway, but every inch counts, and the way the lower links look on the RMS kit, it would appear the tire can't go much wider than stock, but I could be wrong.

Which kit did you go with and why? Are you happy with them?

I'll have more questions when I start sitting down and really looking at this thing, so stick around ;)

Have you looked at Unlawful Racing.com, I made my own but based the design on there system.

Attachments

• mopp-1203-10+twist-and-shake-no-more-project-bee+unlawful-racing-suspension.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 714
Have you looked at Unlawful Racing.com, I made my own but based the design on there system.

That's an AMAZING system they got there on the site...

I actually looked into Hotchkis' kits for the Dart and for around $3500 I can get front and rear parts, but the rear is still a leaf spring set up. for about $500 more I could get that beastly system there!

My only question is that it says "A body with stock gas tank removed". I'll be dropping a different tank in there anyway, half in the trunk, half through the floor because I want to keep the factory fuel door location, and maybe go with a 20 gallon tank. Not sure exactly yet, but I'd like to get some more feedback on that Unlawful Racing system!

I believe abodyjoe had the RMS Lynx? setup on his Dart?

If so, he will be a very good source for the pros and the cons of that setup.

I have a control freak setup,triangulated four link, "mini tubbed",2" narrowed 8-3/4 and wilwoods,325/50/15 m&h on leftover 15x10 cragar 610ss's. install was nice and simple .without the street lynx lower arm I could probably put a 390 under it .I got a great deal on it.one was up for sale on racing junk.I called control freak to ask questions about their system before contacting the seller.they offered the kit new for less...sold

Attachments

• 20140423_171253.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 670
  • 20140423_171304.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 633
  • 20140509_200711.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 611
  • 20140424_171156.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 604
To maximize the benefits if the mini-tubs you are going to need to relocate the forward leaf spring mount and pads on your rear end. RMS sells boxes that you weld into the frame with the mounts. I am in the process of doing this (and mini-tubs) on my Street Lynx equipped '67 Dart.

Bill from RMS has a '69 Dart. It is mini-tubbed with the relocation kit. He fits a 18"x10 w/7.2 BS with 305/40R18 tires with a standard width rear end. The car is in the photo gallery on his website ( green with black hood).

I have been researching this quite a bit lately. Search "maximum tire height" and you will turn up several threads with good information on both height and width with mini tubs.

First, I'd like to know how wide a tire (with a mini-tub) you guys were able to fit in the rear and with which kit. I know the inner fender wells only go in an inch or two before you run parallel with the frame rail anyway, but every inch counts, and the way the lower links look on the RMS kit, it would appear the tire can't go much wider than stock, but I could be wrong.

i used the RMS street lynx.

my car was NOT mini tubbed and it fit a 275/50-17 under it.. that works out to be something like 27.8 X 10.8......

dartcarlisle.jpg

Bill from RMS has a '69 Dart. It is mini-tubbed with the relocation kit. He fits a 18"x10 w/7.2 BS with 305/40R18 tires with a standard width rear end. The car is in the photo gallery on his website ( green with black hood).

533764_10151304058465330_266921051_n.jpg

I have a control freak setup,triangulated four link, "mini tubbed",2" narrowed 8-3/4 and wilwoods,325/50/15 m&h on leftover 15x10 cragar 610ss's. install was nice and simple .without the street lynx lower arm I could probably put a 390 under it .I got a great deal on it.one was up for sale on racing junk.I called control freak to ask questions about their system before contacting the seller.they offered the kit new for less...sold

Hey, it's Doug's son, Bryan... bought my headers and rear from ya ;)

A week or so ago I found that Hotchkis has parts and a kit for front a rear suspension. It'll stay leaf spring, but for now I just want to get it on the road. I think I'll do kits later on and keep the leaf spring style rear for now. Still, I'll need this great info sooner or later, so thanks a lot to everybody for the input!

Hey, it's Doug's son, Bryan... bought my headers and rear from ya ;)

Hey Bryan,I didn't know it was you.why didn't you just measure everything while you were here?Good luck with the stuff.....don't scratch that chrome housing and those shumachers are gonna slide right in.

I just finished installing a RMS Street Lynx in my 69 valiant. Went in really slick and easy. Haven't had it on the road yet. I'm just about to drop the motor in (also on a RMS front end kit). I bought some 17's that were on a mustang 235's I believe, but not totally sure. Will check and let you know.

Sorry guys. Haven't been in the garage in a while. House burned down so I've been kinda busy and pre occupied over the last few months.

I was able to easily tuck 255 45 18 rims and tires under my 69 valiant with the rms altercation and street Linx kit.

The rims were off a newer mustang (2012ish). The rear is an 8 3/4 with wilwoods. Could go with something wider in the rear if the rim had an off set. Lots of room on the outer edge but it's tight on the inner well. Was thinking about going with taller tire wall in the back to rake it slightly, maybe a 55

Damn, man, sorry to hear about the house.

Thanks for the info though, it is much appreciated

-
Back