70 duster street strip build

-
There is something I seen that will work I am looking for it now.

You can get this on ebay. I seen this on trucks TV pour small dents he poured a small amount in the dent it self then let it set up. Then sanded it out until they had a smooth surface. I tried to find the episode for it,but could not.
I hope it helps

To shave or not to shave that is the question . I'm thanking about

shaving the side markers and the cowl vent on the duster I won't be needing the vent as I removed the heater .

idk much my self and i just wing it alot but if it were mine id try to tap them out a little with a punch and mallet if it didnt work out id tag it with some spot weld and grind it smooth

Sorry about not adding comments on your Very good build with pictures and some great skills I don't post much in anyone's restoration thread:eek:ops: I enjoy reading and seeing how things are dun, I have fallen short of adding my comments here :banghead: my bad.
Do not stop and keep us/me updated, you have dun some perfect work here and have great tools to put your skills to work with, memike jealous :glasses7: but happy for you.
Thank you for the great info here moparisbest, it does help members like me that will be doing work like this one day :cheers:

The best thing would be to find a autobody nail gun or uni-spotter and pull the dents out.

Them are expensive tools . Don't thank I could afford one just to pull three or four dents I know it would be the best way to fix the dents but how would a poor boy like me do it lol

idk much my self and i just wing it alot but if it were mine id try to tap them out a little with a punch and mallet if it didnt work out id tag it with some spot weld and grind it smooth
maybe weld something like a nail to the dent and try pulling it out ?

You can do body work over epoxy primer but you will need to rough it up a little with something like 220 grit sand paper. As you are blocking if you hit bare metal it would be best to shoot epoxy primer back over the bare metal before shooting the high build primer back on.

Try that first and if that does not work just fill them with weld then put a skim of filler over top.

That was my second choice was to weld them and fill the dents I was just afraid on to much heat damaging the surrounding area

Great work on the build moparisbest! I looked at this whole thread of yours and you are way further along than what any of my builds are. Every once in awhile I visit these build threads just to try and keep me motivated.

John

That was my second choice was to weld them and fill the dents I was just afraid on to much heat damaging the surrounding area

You have to turn the welder down, weld, let cool, and weld again to prevent damage. Trying to fill those holes all at one time will over heat the metal.

Well I took your advice and sand blasted the deep dents in the trunk lid and then welded them full and grinded the weld down flush turned out good and took,very little filler . I also patched a rusted out part of the trunk lid lip were the trunk lid meets the trunk gasket . Cut out rust made a piece . And reweld also turned out nice thanks for the pointers

View attachment image-2439154860.jpg

View attachment image-3220255972.jpg

View attachment image-138679608.jpg

View attachment image-1371994569.jpg

View attachment image-931747907.jpg

View attachment image-1117891974.jpg

View attachment image-1720630605.jpg

View attachment image-2887648200.jpg

View attachment image-2639616201.jpg

Worked on the hood and scoop . Had to cut a hole in the hood because the intake carb and breather I used on the engine was so tall it sticks threw the hood . And then I tried the scoop and it wouldn't fit with the hood down breather to,tall lol so I cut the lip off the bottom of breather plate took off about an inch and re welded the flang back on the breather bottom all fits now had maybe a quarter of an inch from breather to scoop so grinded under side of scoop in the one place so that it clears alittle more man it was close call almost a waste of money but I made it work

View attachment image-1399087327.jpg

View attachment image-2484636917.jpg

View attachment image-1356304449.jpg

View attachment image-2456461899.jpg

View attachment image-4008950775.jpg

View attachment image-80813749.jpg

View attachment image-214559533.jpg

Joe,good to see your making do with what you have.:DAlso getting a little creative I see LOL.You,ve come along way on your build...keep at it!:cheers:

Good work going on here. Good to see the creative juices flowing. Keep up the good work.:coffee2:

Got to put the car in opoxy today . Really nice to see the car all one color . This has been a step i have been waiting for. Now there are a few places that need minor body work done and the on to high build primer . Blocking and the opoxy thinned down to be used as a sealer

View attachment image-832456470.jpg

View attachment image-3028662949.jpg

View attachment image-3489575735.jpg

View attachment image-3290092888.jpg

View attachment image-3921782121.jpg

View attachment image-3810132809.jpg

View attachment image-1675634401.jpg

View attachment image-3435398447.jpg

View attachment image-3281428407.jpg

best you have come a long way with your Duster. What is next?

-
Back