71 Duster 360 (new project)

-
But there was only two shocks and springs that showed up today...Man..those shocks are nice...

Even had my 3 yr old grandson recount them for me...

Attachments

• IMG_1071.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_1072.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 497
Anyway...I got the lower shock mounts welded on...and brackets for the track bar on each end of the rear opposite of each other...

So basically, I got the upper shock mount to weld on ...and set the ride height on the shocks....and cut and tap one end of the track bar...

checked to make sure all the bolts were tight...and did a little touch up caulking on the wheel wells...

So i am done for the week....Going to the national event at the strip and hand out ET slips...

me and another person passed out 2600 et slips over the 4 day event.....legs and feet ache...

Wont get back to the Duster until latter part of this week.....

got the old stock upper shock mounts removed along with the support panel.....did some minor trimming to upper shock mount 1 3/4 inch ...bar slid in pretty good...

assembled the shocks with no springs...bolted them on to lower shock mounts...adjusted shock to ride height as shown in the instructions and then began moving upper shock mount around...up and down/back n forth until shock is 90 degree front and back...and left and right...

so everything is straight up and down....and the ride height on the shock is correct.....

will fire up the welder tomorrow...burn them in...

then take shocks off...and put springs on...bolt them back on....and then begin putting the old Duster back together...

oh wait...forgot Track Bar....that should go pretty easy...just need to cut one engine and tap the threads again....bingo

Ok...coil over shocks are on the car...the car weight is on the springs...and nothing fell off...nor did the car fall on the ground.....Diagonal Link is done.....

Now..starting Monday...I gotta put the crap all back together...as i got wires...battery cables..batteries...fuel lines...and other stuff hanging all over the place...

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 440
well..got the fuel line repaired and back on .....battery cable is back in place...carpet is back in car...wire to fuel pump relay is good again...made a couple patch panel for where the rear struts go thru the trunk floor...and pop riveted them in...

need to get tail light wire repaired.....probably wont get that done until batteries is back in car so I can figure out which wire is hot...

should have the car back on the ground by end of week....and after a week off....

should start working on a new power plant for the car....

need to get a removable steering wheel hub....

Got the everything done in the rear suspension except bleeding the rear brakes since I had to take the brake lines off the rear housing while welding on it......

Got the bigger tires down from storage...going with taller tires..9 x 29.5 x 15 on a 10 inch rim..
....God..there is alot of room in the wheel tubs now...and no springs in the way...

Car is on all four tires now...need to mount new light weight seat and brace the rear of it....

then turn my attention on putting an engine back together.....still got 2 sets of P& P eddy heads in the closet....

more pictures...short block...and bucket seat....

What brand of seats are those? Will you be driving your car on the street? I am looking for a comfort able race seat that is moderately priced. lol

Got a removable steering hub ordered from Jegs....suppose to be here on Wednesday....

probably will need to remove column from car to get installed..did the same thing with Demon...have to do some minor grinding on shaft to make it work....

plus need to get seat installed...

then it is engine and trans time to get started on...

was hoping Jeggie would have thanked me for all the parts I bought this year from jegs while excepting the PS trophy...

got seat mounts on seat....waiting for jeggie to bring my quick disconnect hub today...

disconnect takes a 5 bolt steering wheel...I got a 3 bolt...found an adapter last time on ebay for a few bucks last time...can not seem to find it this time..

and got tail lights rewired yesterday....

also need to order a couple items for transmission....CSR shield....and Tranzact brake.....

Seeing your mention of the CSR Shield has intrigued me to where I looked it up and found when it should and has to be used. I guess I will be investing one soon. Only issue is the engine and trans are in the car. I saw you have these on your other cars. What tips and or instructions do you have to share, if any? Thanks!

Seeing your mention of the CSR Shield has intrigued me to where I looked it up and found when it should and has to be used. I guess I will be investing one soon. Only issue is the engine and trans are in the car. I saw you have these on your other cars. What tips and or instructions do you have to share, if any? Thanks!

I have two of these CSR super shields installed on 904 transmission.(Dart and Demon)..You will have to cut off several of the mounting lugs that are on the 904,,,,which should not take more then a few minutes...LOL

Depending on what you use for oil lines the front one can be a problem to get installed...I use #6 steel braided line and I install the line on the trans before it goes in the car...

The bolts that come with the shield tends to be too long and bottom out inside the back of the motor...so either shorter bolts or i use a couple harden washers to space it them out...

To me..there is only one way to install the shield...engine and trans together with shield on trans....especially in an A body with very little room behind the engine...

My first experience of install the motor/trans/ and shield together on the 71 Dart was not very successful as the mounting plates on the shield would hit the firewall before the deep sump on the moroso pan would drop down into the K member...after a couple hours of trying everything...I gave up...

I ended up cutting and sectioning the k member...in fact I did it on this duster while the K member was out..and the Demon has a tubular k member so it is no problem...

They fit pretty much like a glove....make sure you shifter linkage and any kickdown linkage clears...

10.99 and faster need them....

Probably going to order another one next week....as soon as we figure out the engine/trans/converter combo

Well...my quick disconnect hub showed up today from Jegs...but it was missing a part...LOL..

Called Jegs...asked for jeggie ...but he did not come to the phone by the lady and tech guy figured out the part that was missing and they shipped it out today 2nd day UPS...was missing the spline insert that goes on the steering shaft.

Did a few small things...cut carpet around roll bar ...got the kickpanels installed...

Well...my quick disconnect hub showed up today from Jegs...but it was missing a part...LOL..

Called Jegs...asked for jeggie ...but he did not come to the phone by the lady and tech guy figured out the part that was missing and they shipped it out today 2nd day UPS...was missing the spline insert that goes on the steering shaft.

Did a few small things...cut carpet around roll bar ...got the kickpanels installed...
Pics or it didn,t happen...LOL J/K :D

I have two of these CSR super shields installed on 904 transmission.(Dart and Demon)..You will have to cut off several of the mounting lugs that are on the 904,,,,which should not take more then a few minutes...LOL

Depending on what you use for oil lines the front one can be a problem to get installed...I use #6 steel braided line and I install the line on the trans before it goes in the car...

The bolts that come with the shield tends to be too long and bottom out inside the back of the motor...so either shorter bolts or i use a couple harden washers to space it them out...

To me..there is only one way to install the shield...engine and trans together with shield on trans....especially in an A body with very little room behind the engine...

My first experience of install the motor/trans/ and shield together on the 71 Dart was not very successful as the mounting plates on the shield would hit the firewall before the deep sump on the moroso pan would drop down into the K member...after a couple hours of trying everything...I gave up...

I ended up cutting and sectioning the k member...in fact I did it on this duster while the K member was out..and the Demon has a tubular k member so it is no problem...

They fit pretty much like a glove....make sure you shifter linkage and any kickdown linkage clears...

10.99 and faster need them....

Probably going to order another one next week....as soon as we figure out the engine/trans/converter combo

What issues would I encounter if I tried to install with the engine/trans already in the car?

What issues would I encounter if I tried to install with the engine/trans already in the car?

Frustration...anger...alot of cussing...bleeding fingers and knuckles...

I myself would never try to put one of these things on a trans that is already in the car...If you dropped the trans cross member and lower the back of the trans..on a 904 you might get it to slide on......then you have the issue with the long bolts with allen heads on them...

Was trying to see if I had any good pictures of the shield on the trans...only got these two...

Attachments

• IMG_0871.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0872.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 335
Frustration...anger...alot of cussing...bleeding fingers and knuckles...

I myself would never try to put one of these things on a trans that is already in the car...If you dropped the trans cross member and lower the back of the trans..on a 904 you might get it to slide on......then you have the issue with the long bolts with allen heads on them...

Hmmm in that case I think best bet would be to get correct length bolts but with hex heads, if I was to lower backside of transmission.

one other thing...you will need to do something with the transmission dipstick tube...it will no longer fit where it bolts into the back of the motor using that outside bolt...

I have safety wired one to the transmission bracket..and the other I have bolted it to the firewall

Ah okay. I think I like the firewall idea. I forgot to attach mine to the bolt anyways.

Ok..UPS guy showed up today with some parts for engine...Ross pistons...found a good deal on the 4.030 Flat tops...half price...

Have had the rods for sometime...couple of weeks..might be putting things all together...or putting something else all together...or putting something else in duster all together...

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1088.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 276
-
Back