74 Swinger Project

-
A couple interior pics before all the work. Gotta love the plush look.

p7070103-3-jpg.1714653410

p7070100-3-jpg.1714653419

View attachment P7070103 (3).jpg

View attachment P7070100 (3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a clean 74 you have and very lucky to start with such a solid car.
Cant wait to see that bad boy out of paint. Sounds like a killer color combo.
What color are you goin with for the interior?

Another '74 coming to life.
Hopefully if enough of these are being restored they will start making some parts that you just can't get for the '74's soon.
That would be great to get some of the harder to find parts repopped

What I really like in the '74's are the fact it is so light to start with (3000 lb curb weight) an to lighten it up a little bit more with a Fiberglass hood, Tubular K frame, upgraded Upper and Lower control arms, four link in the back instead of leaf springs and she becomes a real runner with out having to use a lot of power.

Whats the curb weight on you 74 with all the listed mods?
Sorry to thread jack Dartn440

Had the run stand built by a guy near me here in NC and hauled it up to VA for my buddy Ron who is building the car. He did a great job on the motor...and the trans...and everything else!

Engine start stands are handy, I built one last winter.

7xbb.jpg

Nice run stand!

Staying with bench. Car is for my son...who knows maybe he'll get lucky. Not sure on color since the car is three tone. Need to see how it looks. I spent hours matching chips. Billet Silver/Charcoal Grey/Satin Black hood

@ sireland 67 that looks like a nice stand to get the job done. @ evil dart...light weight for sure. I guess that is why the mildly built 360 destroyed the back tires in test drive pic!

Car is underway at the second body shop. Made it out of the first in complete primer, but am being told that a lot of that was just cover stuff. So we will see here in the coming weeks.

I think I am going to need to go with a chrome wheel with all the color changes on the exterior. Interior may need to be black. I am trying to have the exterior billet silver brought in on the interior metal surfaces. We will see how it turns out.

Ok. No new pics. Bodywork nearly complete. Need to get new trim clips and a few pieces of some trim that has either been lost, beaten, or destroyed to put back on. Light at the end of the tunnel.

Ok...so car needed 2 new front fenders, too much trouble to try to save. Body shop found a pair of rust free. Done with that. Using some trim from the 72 to keep the 74 going on bodywork.

No news except that all the trim was perfect from my 72 and I was able to pick up the rest of the weatherstrip to complete the build.

Ok. Momentary stall on things. Weatherstrip I ordered for rear was perfect. The front window weatherstrip would not let the stainless trim fit....so out it came and I went back to auto body specialties for another. Guaranteed to be right...they have nailed it on everything so far. A couple new door hinges and some seals for doors. All the cut in work, underhood, trunk, have color. Will send some pics when I get them. This car is still in Va. Should be home in November.

2013 Dodge Dart 1975 Dodge Dart 2012 Chrysler 200
Headroom, front 38.6 37.6 40.1
... rear 37.0 36.7 38.4
Legroom, front 42.2 41.5 42.4
... rear 35.3 31.9 36.2
Shoulder room, front 58.2 56.3 56.3
... rear 56.1 56.0 56.0
Base weight (pounds) 3,173 3,140 3,389
Base price, 2012 dollars $16,000 $13,746 * $18,995
Length 183.9 203.2 191.7
Width 72.0 69.6 72.5

Original is at 2013-2014 Dodge Dart comparisons to competing cars and to vintage Darts http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/dart/comparisons.html#ixzz2gzXJvVrK
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook

Ok...not sure how the above chart will come across from allpar. Buddy of mine asked me why I just don't find a late model interior and put it in the car? Anyone know if the new Dart or 200c interior will fit with a few mods?

Ok. So when I put the color scheme together I spent hours pouring over some Mopar DuPont colors and came up with the Billet Silver, Dark Charcoal, and a Satin Black. The silver is looking sweet so far on the cut in, still nervous about the charcoal since it is primarily an accent color...did find the Viper pic before to see how it looked. So my mistake is that the satin black was a base coat clear coat....shines like a diamond. Hmmm

image-jpg.1714664358

View attachment image.jpg

Idea with the satin black was to have some offset to the clear coat surfaces. Car should be back together in a week...came to an agreement on fixing this that was not how it was initially planned. Isn't that how hot rod building goes sometime?

Since I am not doing a 100 point resto and I did not color match the engine bay I decided to spatter paint the trunk. One coat on. I figure I will put down some black molded carpet in there when I finish the interior.

image-jpg.1714664372

View attachment image.jpg

Floor pan replacement worked out well. Need to make a final decision on rims. 15 inch with BF Goodrich TA on car now. What does everyone think of these?

file_126.jpg

That engine stand is killer. I bet you could sell quite a few of them on FABO or maybe even fleabay.

-
Back