74 Swinger Project

-
My youngest is 8, still playing with the race cars. All 4 will ask during the weekend days "what are we going to do to the car?" or at least say "can I come out while you are working on the car?" It's nice

That is awesome. I have to get my cars closer. Spent the evening in a tree stand with my 15 year old and watched him get his first deer with me. Pick the 74 up next Sunday and then we can work on it together and if I run into issues I have some guys close that can help!

Long drive and this beast is home.

img_0036-3-jpg.1714675865

View attachment IMG_0036 (3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I need help if you are following this thread. Front wheels are rubbing fenders. Really don't want to start another one and can't find actual info on tire and wheel thread. I have a set of stock police wheels. 15 x 7 with 4 7/8 backspace. I have 15 inches on car right now with 205/70/15 on front and 225/70/15 on rear. About an inch or so on each side clearance in rear front rubs inner fender on hard turn. Took the car to tire/alignment shop and seem to get run around....I think they are reluctant to help since they have to put manual specs into machine.

I will definitely need to fix the carb. I had the one that was on it rebuilt, but the previous owner did something to the electric choke. I was trying to stay in a budget, but as I have found I should have just replaced it. Hard start in the cold, but once warmed up just fine. The .040 over 360 runs like a beast. I cant find my specs on the comp cam anywhere, but with the 360 head, big valves with a nice valve job it will make plenty of HP. There is a dyno right up the street. Might check it our after new year.

let me know if i can help ya find any parts. nice car ya have there. see ya on the abodies fourm, mike. happy thanksgiving.

Are you still running a 8.25 in the back? what gears?

Gears are 3:23 in the 8 3/4...previous owner said 4:10...not.[/QUOTE]

If I had a dollar for everything the previous owner told me that was inaccurate I could buy lots of stuff to fix things he didn't do even close to right...

Wow just catchin up with the thread and man the paint scheme looks bitchin'
On the wheel clearance issue is the height of the suspension compared to the height tire the issue? Is it rubbing on the top of the wheel arch?

Wow just catchin up with the thread and man the paint scheme looks bitchin'
On the wheel clearance issue is the height of the suspension compared to the height tire the issue? Is it rubbing on the top of the wheel arch?

Rubbing on front portion of fender at extreme of turn. Thanks on paint. Scared me shitless picking out colors from color chip in a NAPA store, never mind this is the first time I have done any of this.

Gears are 3:23 in the 8 3/4...previous owner said 4:10...not.

If I had a dollar for everything the previous owner told me that was inaccurate I could buy lots of stuff to fix things he didn't do even close to right...[/QUOTE]

Yeah the funny thing is that the kid I bought it from acted like he was selling me a 5k car. I paid $1100. Would rather he told me that everything is jacked. Would have saved me time in discovery!

The car looks great I love the stance. I had to go with a 195/60 R15 on a 15x6 rim just to get the right amount of clearance. The width on a 195 on a 15x6 rim is 7.9" and a 205 is 8.2". Add an extra 1" on to those totals for that 15x7 rim and you will be rubbing.

QUOTE=Evildart;1970241365]The car looks great I love the stance. I had to go with a 195/60 R15 on a 15x6 rim just to get the right amount of clearance. The width on a 195 on a 15x6 rim is 7.9" and a 205 is 8.2". Add an extra 1" on to those totals for that 15x7 rim and you will be rubbing.[/QUOTE]

@ Evildart. Thanks...I brought the front end up 2 inches from where it was just to drive it. It was worse where I originally had it. There isn't a single technician I have found that has solid advice or wants to help. One more local place to check. I used a calculator on line and did the same math you just did...I just had no reference to tell me it would work. Funny, even at the Dodge dealer. They all just stared at it.

QUOTE=Evildart;1970241365]The car looks great I love the stance. I had to go with a 195/60 R15 on a 15x6 rim just to get the right amount of clearance. The width on a 195 on a 15x6 rim is 7.9" and a 205 is 8.2". Add an extra 1" on to those totals for that 15x7 rim and you will be rubbing.

@ Evildart. Thanks...I brought the front end up 2 inches from where it was just to drive it. It was worse where I originally had it. There isn't a single technician I have found that has solid advice or wants to help. One more local place to check. I used a calculator on line and did the same math you just did...I just had no reference to tell me it would work. Funny, even at the Dodge dealer. They all just stared at it.[/QUOTE]

The dealer...
That would be like telling my kids to call one of their friends using a rotary dial phone.....

That is funny. I just a a conversation with my son about phones! He is 15, does not understand that when I was his age, there was one phone, 500 feet of cord, and if it rang and you were there you answered it! If not whoever called knew you were OUTSIDE..and came over!

My kids look at me with a horrified stare when I tell them we had one phone on a party line and if a neighbor was on the line you had to wait until they were done talking, and that the one phone was in the kitchen and you needed to have any conversation even if it was with your girlfriend in front of your mother.....

I think it was all done that way on purpose. Now home design decentralized everything. I got the cord to stretch around the corner to the stairs though!

Sweet Dart, I like both sets of wheels, but the steelies add to the sleeper look :D. I wanted to add that I like the front clip of the 73 and up darts. Most don't like them, but I do. In the past, in my high schools days a 75 and 76. The past few years, a 73, and now a 75.

Yeah I hear you on the front end. I was not crazy about it at all. Grew on me for sure. I tried to subdue it a bit by blackening out the grill and hood and adding the six pack scoop.

-
Back