74 Swinger Project

-
Tore out all the interior except the headliner panel and front seat today and cleaned up the back floor area. Will wire brush some surface rust, reseal everything and spray while everything is out after the new year.

dsc_0320-800x491-jpg.1714682064

dsc_0325-800x515-jpg.1714682065

View attachment DSC_0320 (800x491).jpg

View attachment DSC_0325 (800x515).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And the gremlins continue. Finally took it for more than a put around town. Motor is a fresh rebuild and had a slight lifter tick on the 360. I read that this could be normal so no issue. Then I got a bit of an increase in temp at idle to 210-215. Reservoir backed up and belching antifreeze. Add to that and the power steering pump spit fluid everywhere. No belts seem to be loose. Carb is a Holley 7 something and is way too much.

My thoughts:
Recheck belt tension
Flush radiator and system
Replace carb with Holley 600 electric choke
Change oil to 5w30 with break in

Start and observe. If ticking is still there but cooling issue is fixed. Then move to pulling valve cover and looking for something loose, stuck lifter, bent pushrods.

Thoughts

Sorry to hear. It took almost 6-7 months of "Gremlins" for mine. Hang in there it's worth it.

What radiator are you running?

Stuck lifter on a fresh rebuild? How long did it sit before you started it up? If it is a stuck lifter I would put a bottle of marvel mystery oil in the engine oil and let it run for at least 15 minutes.

Then change the oil and filter.

I am thinking the cooling issue was a function of power steering fluid on the belts. Motor was done in May and the damn thing was in paint and body forever until I went and got it. I have put on less than 200 miles and really haven't gotten on it. Stick radiator from 318. Thanks dude.

Good opportunity with everything out & after hitting with a wire wheel to lay down some POR-15 for good measure.

Absolutely agree. Going seal and insulate everything as well. Plan to carry the spatter paint from the trunk inside and then redo the upholstery. I have been addressing some odds and ends inside as well. Going to tear out the cardboard headliner and replace as well. Some wiring issues where the previous owner hacked it up are annoying me. Getting to that as well. Can not afford to have two cars going at the same time so I am devoting my free cash to parts for my 72 project to get it moving forward. I would like to have it running by Mopars at the Rock.

Spent all day cleaning trim from the car. Let it dry really well and then put on a couple coats of rustoleum paint for plastic. A couple pieces just were not worth saving because of cracks so I will put up my needs on the wanted page. Interior is out to be redone. Still chasing some mechanical gremlins. Next weekend I will wire wheel the interior floor in rear and start sealing it back up.

dsc_0462-536x800-jpg.1714687166

dsc_0463-536x800-jpg.1714687167

View attachment DSC_0462 (536x800).jpg

View attachment DSC_0463 (536x800).jpg

Ok. So despite the cold weather I was able to get some work done on the 74. Source of the belt issue was a leaking power steering hose. made an adjustment to the hoses, pump location. Added a rear bracket for stability. fixed all the window seal leaks. Replaced speedo cable. Replaced seal on transmission where the speedo goes in. Replaced radiator with a nicer aluminum one. Bigger surface area. Will put a shroud on another time. It cools my buddies 426 so it should do fine for my 360. Replaced the card with a Holley 750DP with an electric choke. Adjusted timing and a pile of other thingmajiggywhatnots that needed to be addressed.

dsc_0492-800x536-jpg.1714688992

dsc_0497-800x536-jpg.1714688993

dsc_0498-536x800-jpg.1714688994

View attachment DSC_0492 (800x536).jpg

View attachment DSC_0497 (800x536).jpg

View attachment DSC_0498 (536x800).jpg

Nice work, Curious which Holley you went with, Street Avenger by chance? If so, what are your thoughts so far?

This one:
Holley 0-80508SA - Holley 750 cfm 4-Barrel Carburetor with Electric Choke

My thoughts so far are that I turn the key and it fires right up, no acceleration issues from stop, no idle issues, and while I have not gotten back to any kind of highway driving, I think it should work just fine.

Should have some time next weekend to finish interior prep. My buddy got me turned on to a guy who is going to redo the entire interior seats, headliner, dash pad, door panels, and carpet for 1500. Going to try to get it all sealed and prepped by the end of the month and finish the car next month.

Still searching for 3 more pieces of trim. Got a couple folks looking....fingers crossed!

Sounds like you are well on your way to being done......Oh never mind I forgot we are never done, :burnout:but always having fun!!!

Sounds like you are well on your way to being done......Oh never mind I forgot we are never done, :burnout:but always having fun!!!

Yeah. I agree never done. Went last night and poked around a 73 Cuda race car and a 74 Duster 360 4 speed roller. Both beyond my resto skill level. Want to drag race this year!

@bmossin. Agree. Getting him up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday wasn't easy. He is pulling straight A's right now so it was nice to spend the day with him. He also got to start tearing down a 73 440 with me as well. Spent some time explaining what everything was and he seemed to have fun. He thinks he is strong so it was funny to have to break everything loose for him!

Damn, that's a great place for a tach. I'm going to "borrow" your idea if you don't mind. :)

Damn, that's a great place for a tach. I'm going to "borrow" your idea if you don't mind. :)

Not my idea, was my buddy's. The car had a set of gauges hanging there when I bought it, including a tach, but it was not functional. Then a temp gauge was added to the side. I was able to get them all in the line and then we hung the tach there. Was going to mount it on the driver's A pillar but thought it would distract my son when he drove it. Borrow away!

Snow on the ground here. First time since I have lived here. You would think the world just ended! Stay warm FABO

-
Back