advantage of small block over Big block

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I have a pretty close to 600hp BB 440 in my Road race car
My RPM range is 3000 to 6200rpm(act stroked to 496 and I bet I am over 600HP) dyno it some day?
I always get" you should have built a small block"
I am a hobbiest so its not professional competition.
Other than a slight weight advantage would i really have more fun with a screaming 360? Whats the big deal???

I like the torque of the BB coming out of corners
A Straightaway at Road America that is uphill and 1.4miles in length. Its like 1 mile drag race against other modern cars and I haven't been passed yet. Nice to have the BB there!!!!
Milodon road race pan and 3 quart accumulator so hopefully I won't starve the bearings? Been running great for 2 seasons! I LOVE my girl!
So lets hear good reason why a BB is only good for drag Racing?

What are you running for heads and cam to get that much HP? I have a stroked 440 (505") in my super bee.

The only things I can think of are not exactly a great reason to do a small block. I can say that the differences are small in a way. Expense can add up though. On a straight up swap, building the engine level being left out of the whole mess.

Pro's for a small block would be a little cheaper.

If it is a small block car already, that saves on swap mounts.
Perhaps saving on a drive shaft cutting/shortening.
Still use the OE brake system? Perhaps.

Cheaper headers, though I would advise against them. Better off spending for tti units.
T-bars even from a /6 could be used for drive duties on a everyday base. IDK how anybody else would feel about driving a big block car with /6 T bars. Some will not care and call it OK and cool to do while others will complain. And very well rightfully so. A lot depends on what your OK with. Much like engine streetability. What is streetable to you is not to someone else.

it's easier to change plugs when the headers are hot...Bob

Well, ya can "fix" that with a hemi LOL

Other than being easier to work on, maybe a little more block strength....??

stroker 11 to 1
edelbrock ported and polished heads
Hughes Cam lift 628 lift at @.050
Duration 252 at @.050
1.6 ratio rockers
Intake runners matched to heads
Its a beast and has held up Well so far

A small block revs quicker and thats probally the big advantage i imagine correct?
DIDN"T HEMI"S DOMINATE NASCAR AT ONE TIME???

IMO it's all about piston speed.
The big block can make the hp at a lower piston speed.
More suited to high RPM's than a stroked small block.

But if you already have a small block in there then I would stroke a 360. If /6 then for all the changes you would have to make then I would go with a stroked 400 bb turning it into a 512 with alloy heads to get the weight back close to a small block.

What body style are you racing? Any pics? I was talking to a guy last night who was out cruising his '66 vette road racer. Used to run b production with it. Had real magnesium minilites on it!

Depending on your budget, using an aluminum block will take away the weight advantage.

With the small blocks , you can see all the pretty cars go by..... LOL

I've seen some god awful fast small blocks , But I like the big-blocks , especially when they get stroked

Until you spend some real money it would be difficult to duplicate your performance with a small block.

Especially with a road race car, weight and packaging is everything. The big block is taller in the chassis, and overall in any configuration heavier, the bobweights are more, the headers are heavier, the transmission or flywheel/bellhousing is heavier. If a 727, it saps more horsepower than a good 904. If/when the rest of the car is scienced out, and your driving skills reach the level where the car is the limitation, you will notice a difference. And yes, I've driven a 500hp B wedge over 150 in a car that can handle... The small block IS a better choice overall. Anything smaller/lighter is better. A car that's fast enough around the turns and can out-brake you will be so far ahead going into the one or two long straights that it won't make a difference if you can pull great on the straight. You still have to slow at the turn and you'll have to get on them before the guy with the 600hp small block.

Sounds like you have a torque monster for the hills.

You could probably benefit from the lighter weight of the small block on the turns but hey, keep the big block and build a second small block car to play with so you have the best of both worlds.

IMO it's all about piston speed.
The big block can make the hp at a lower piston speed.
More suited to high RPM's than a stroked small block..

I'm not sure I buy all this. You can now get SBs stroked to 440, they actually have a longer stroke than a stock 440!!

Long stroke means higher piston speed, I'm not sure how you are equating that with "more suited to high RPM"

Factory
440 4.32 bore 3.75 stroke

SB 440 stroker, 4.105 bore, 4.00 stroke

Is it really fair to compare a SB of different CID to an RB?

I'm not sure I buy all this. You can now get SBs stroked to 440, they actually have a longer stroke than a stock 440!!

Long stroke means higher piston speed, I'm not sure how you are equating that with "more suited to high RPM"

Factory
440 4.32 bore 3.75 stroke

SB 440 stroker, 4.105 bore, 4.00 stroke

Is it really fair to compare a SB of different CID to an RB?

I think you misunderstood me, my fault. My sentence didn't come out the way I meant.

The 400's shorter stroke has a lower piston speed allowing higher rpm hence more hp for a comparable cid.

So, comparing apples with apples the same stroke (4.250") in a 360sb will give 434 or so cid, and 400bb will give around 510 cid. Both with the same piston speed.
If I was building a car for track work and I had a choice of a sb or bb, I would go with the 400bb like I said earlier. And I don't think the weight will be that much of an issue in car that weighs 3300pounds, seeing as the bb is only 80 pounds heavier than a 360sb.
We're only talking about 2.5% weight difference in the whole car for a gain of 80cid.

The ability to rev a engine fast is a combo of things starting with a shorter stroke and a light weight piston. It is possible to rev a stroked big block faster than a stock stroke small block. It's the parts within for starters. Next is. Am profile and valve. On trip via the springs. But for sake of simple same am profile and spring rates for. Both engines.

I like to keep a ready to drop 440 , I enjoyed a few 383 engine on the street and hwy and it seem I like it best. Main thing here is enjoy, I have the best of three world's and they all have there place.

Some great replies here.

Everyone can give advice but there is no replacement for displacement !!

No replacement for displacement. Keep the big block.

Thanks, I get a lot of $#it Because I Have a Big Block and its nice to hear some positive reenforcement quit frankly!!!
I could have built a killer small block but I Had a BB and has proven to been incredibilly FUN and Reliable!

Thank for your replies

I think people give you a lot of crap about the big block hopin you'll stab in a small block and they will have a better chance of beatin you.

..and how bout postin some pics?

BB will last longer then then SB that makes enough power to keep up with you...

You said it's a hobby so longs your happy that's all that matters, Is it competitive? Can you get her hooked up coming out of the corners? Do lose to much speed in the corners? In a highly competitive class the small would be the better choice.

I'm not sure exactly what the weight difference is between a SB and a BB but IMO the advantage would be the weight saving and the fact that its coming off the front end which is good. But to me, Big Blocks are just plain more fun mainly because of all the extra grunt and just plain brute force. Making something work while going against the grain is cool too. I'm building a Big Block Duster and not moving the rear springs or cutting anything. I've already got a few coments from my buddies who think I should move the springs in. Alot of people follow the path most travelled but its more fun to go against the grain.

-
Back