Alterkation or HemiDenny

-
What's wrong with a 73+ K? It handles well if you do the reinforcements. For 5K you can cobble up some pretty nice engine mounts. Unless its burning a hole in your pockets, I'd use what you have.

What's wrong with a 73+ K? It handles well if you do the reinforcements. For 5K you can cobble up some pretty nice engine mounts. Unless its burning a hole in your pockets, I'd use what you have.

I like the idea of the adjustability of coilovers and not having to double check my ride height 20 times after i reassemble it.(annoys the crap out of me)

Wow. I go to bed and this post explodes with information and opinion.
Thanks to all.
Denny, thanks for chiming in, hope you don't take this as putting down your product or anything, I know we have chatted quite a bit through PM.

@poison, the 73 K I just to like the limitations of it. 1 the hemi is so damn tight in the engine bay as is that the stock k limits it even more. The Tbars are in the way of exhaust, the power steering pump hits the heads. Its rough.
I want room for headers, I want power steering...so an aftermarket setup like alterK or HD is only way to go, for me.
Even then, its going to be a beast to wrestle in..going to have to do something w the brake booster, possibly move it.

That's where I am coming from.
Thanks all for the comments.

some people want the other stuff that comes along with one of the kits. coil over shocks, rack & pinion, QA1 joints, etc.

either setup can work. denny set mine up so i could use the 7qt milodon oil pan i wanted with my 400. (# 30930, i'm using the milodon 1/2" pickup also)

I'm not gonna split hairs here. The AlterK and the Hemidenny K are like comparing apples to apple's. The thing I like is I will be needing custom lower control arms to work with my air suspension. I know Denny will work with my shock guys and me to make those arms and I won't recieve a bill for custom arms. Heck I needed some steel for my seat mounts and Denny sent it no questions asked no bill in the mail. I've chatted with Bill and he knows his stuff, I've chatted with Denny and he knows his stuff too. Both have been doing this the same amount of time just one has been going at it purely professionaly and the other guy was a serious hobbiest that had people notice his stuff and wanted it. You won't go wrong with either one, but, my vote is for Hemidenny and spend the extra $1000 on that hemi.

Both have been doing this the same amount of time just one has been going at it purely professionaly and the other guy was a serious hobbiest that had people notice his stuff and wanted it.

how do ya think bill got started? he built the first alter-k just for his own car. as people saw it they wanted it. it snowballed from there.. seriously ya think a guy that intended on starting a business for mopar suspensions would have only made a-body setups at first? lmao.. hell no they would have gone right for the e-body money crowd..:)

I like the idea of the adjustability of coilovers and not having to double check my ride height 20 times after i reassemble it.(annoys the crap out of me)

I wasn't aware you had to. There is a measurement, you set it to that, and your done. Difference between between bottom ball joint, and torsion bar adjustment blade 2 1/2" + or - an 1/8th. Unless you like it different than factory.

To snapetwo:

I'm just trying to help, maybe play devil's advocate a little. The truth is those aftermarket k-members are sweet pieces, if I could justify the cost I would already have one. If I was to pick I'd go HDK.

Seems like you know the pros and cons, I'll STFU.

Enjoy!

:D

if your not feeling love how about this. I have the alter k and as abj said bill is a stand up guy and will talk to you all day every day. If something is wrong he will fix it. If you lose a part he will replace it. He's been doing this longer and has way more real world miles on cars to back it up.

Go to the bigblockdart.com forum.

Bill is a mod or runs it or something. Lots of talk about it there.

I love mine by the way. Handles like a mustang now. Quick and responsive. Tons of room for headers and working on it underneath.
I have about 4000 miles of driving on pot holed streets and have nothing but positive things to say about the product.

Not trying to sway you but like abj said. You need to decide what the intent of the set up is for....drag racing or street driving or curves or a combo then make your pick based on that.

Good luck.

Mop

x2

I wasn't aware you had to. There is a measurement, you set it to that, and your done. Difference between between bottom ball joint, and torsion bar adjustment blade 2 1/2" + or - an 1/8th. Unless you like it different than factory.

To snapetwo:

I'm just trying to help, maybe play devil's advocate a little. The truth is those aftermarket k-members are sweet pieces, if I could justify the cost I would already have one. If I was to pick I'd go HDK.

Seems like you know the pros and cons, I'll STFU.

Enjoy!

:D

It not noticable if you have wheels with good bit of backspacing. My wheels are 4.5BS so the ride height becomes a little more critical. And i've put together my car and had the suspension settle 4 different times before it stayed where i wanted it. :wack:

if you were closer you could come out to one of the goodguys autocrosses we will be at and would take you around. it will scare you how good the car will handle with the RMS stuff. i was geared up to run the Heidt's event in Joliet,but my junk got wrecked! hope to have it back after goodguys nashville,sucks we have to miss it.

View attachment 0326131620a.jpg

how do ya think bill got started? he built the first alter-k just for his own car. as people saw it they wanted it. it snowballed from there.. seriously ya think a guy that intended on starting a business for mopar suspensions would have only made a-body setups at first? lmao.. hell no they would have gone right for the e-body money crowd..:)
isn't that the truth.....

(you also can't say its the same quality part.. hell HD's set up looks damn sweet. no one can deny that. but theres no data to say how it works.. i know if you call RMS they can tell you any info/data you need to know about the geometry. )

not true. his friend have been running them for years.
geomerty is there i promise

plus u cant get as low of a stance with the alter K compared to the hemmidenny with out masive alterations. idk bout u but if im spending 4-5000 bucks on something im not chopping it up to make it work.

check out my build or johns build .

i bought the alterK last year and bill has been there to help all the way his customer service is second to none and if you need something special he will build it for you and be totally honest about everything i just approached him with building a custom suspension for one of my other projects and he was very helpful and willing to build the parts i need (an its being slamed as low as i can get it )

(you also can't say its the same quality part.. hell HD's set up looks damn sweet. no one can deny that. but theres no data to say how it works.. i know if you call RMS they can tell you any info/data you need to know about the geometry. )

not true. his friend have been running them for years.
geomerty is there i promise

being able to show you the data and saying my friend has it and its fine are two totally different things when it comes to something like a suspension kit. not sure how anyone could argue that fact. so no, you can not compare the two correctly with out the data. not saying the HD geometry isn't right. but being able to show it before purchase is something i would think a customer would want before droppin the coin.

all i'm saying is that if you ask bill at rms the same question you'll get all the specs and data to prove the geometry before you spent any money.

Nice looking parts Denny. What is the intented purpose of your parts? Do you have any graphs of camber gain, roll center height, or bumpsteer?

some 20 years ago, my intent was to get rid of the steering box to allow room for a Hemi in a A body.

The intent is still pretty much the same as when I started, Eliminate the bulky, worn out, 40-plus year old steering box with rear steer linkage and replace with a modern, compact, off the shelf, rack and pinion assembly. Also remove/replace the torsion bars to gain room for almost any exhaust you can imagine. And shed a few pounds along the way.

here is the tricky part, for me anyways.

no welding or cutting....100% bolt-on pieces

no exotic ($$$$) parts

use the existing upper control arm attaching points. This somewhat limits what you can do with roll center, however, it can be tuned/improved with extended upper ball joints. Further difficulty arises because of the simple fact hardly any two cars sit at the same ride height.

keep the front wheel / tire combo tucked into the front fenderwell for turning clearance and a better look

sorry..no graphs at this point. gotta put that one on top of the list. There are some pics on another thread showing camber gain thru-out travel.....it is virtually zero, however, due to the upper arm being shorter than the lower arm, there is naturally going to be some camber gain at full compression.

abodyjoe, sorry but you cannot use the word Mustang along with spindles on this forum unless you have a permit...

Again we are comparing apples to apples here. They are both good set-ups it is more of a coke/pepsi debate. I prefer Coke and Abodyjoe prefers Pepsi. We will argue our point till we are blue in the face. Wracks71 I'll be doing some goodguys events however I am by no means a pro driver. Maybe we could do a comparison once we are both on the track with an outside driver and see what his impressions are with out knowing one car or the other?

Who said you can't slam the AlterK without tons of mods?

The only thing I did was used Ridetech shockwaves instead of coil overs. No mods to the LCA's the UCA's the spindles....nothing. Fit is perfect all the way up or down with no clearance issues.

Is this not low enough for you? My oil pan sits on the ground when parked.

I don't think you can get any lower than that.....:D

Attachments

• 100_2802w.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 894
  • 100_2814w.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 862
thats awsome mopar man! being in the pro-touring circle few a number of years and racing,some people seem to loose sight of the fact that you can really only go so low unless you want to sit in a field and look at it. (no offense) really,the only way to go then is with a chassis,unless you have the time to redo the suspension all over again.

I do not own either of these kits but i do have a few of the parts that RMS offers for stock suspension upgrades. I have the tubular upper arms and the adjustable strut rods. They are both great pieces and have become a great addition to my other suspension mods. I think alot of people buy the kits because they want the header clearance and the look of a track car. I dont think many people would have the balls to push the limits of these kits on the street. I have seen several videos of track day cars running the alterkation kits and they do quite well. I think that the word of someone using a product in real world situations is about as good as it gets for any input about the products.

im not sure anybody has run Bill's stuff any harder than we have. that is pretty much what my car is,the test car.

Who said you can't slam the AlterK without tons of mods?

The only thing I did was used Ridetech shockwaves instead of coil overs. No mods to the LCA's the UCA's the spindles....nothing. Fit is perfect all the way up or down with no clearance issues.

Is this not low enough for you? My oil pan sits on the ground when parked.

I don't think you can get any lower than that.....:D

momoparman.....that is one sweet ride....I read thru your thread one night and couldn't wait to turn to the next page.

I think you suffer from the same disease I have.....cannot use anything the way it comes out of the box.

-
Back