Another small block turbo early valiant

-
Yeah not sure either. You'll get it figured, I'm waiting for a few pieces to finish my twin turbo exhaust, see how I need to route it lol.

awesome, good luck. We’re you the guy that bought mad darts twin turbo kit?

Now following this thread. Didn't know I meet the OP. This was a killer car before he started this project. Can't wait to see it finished.

Very cool.

I will add from my short time playing with turbos ignition is a big deal. You'll still need to close the plug gap under boost but I'd use nothing less than a 7 box.

Yep moved up to Idaho. I'll be living in Nampa once everything goes through on the house we are buying. For sure I'll be at the track as much as I can lol

You going to run a intercooler?

I was just looking at an old set of truck manifolds that I have lying around and wondered if that would work on the passenger side for a turbo set up! Definitely going to look into that!

Yep moved up to Idaho. I'll be living in Nampa once everything goes through on the house we are buying. For sure I'll be at the track as much as I can lol

You going to run a intercooler?

At some point I’d like to run an air to water but I don’t think it’s gonna happen before it gets on the road.

Well if you want I have two of them good till 600hp each, if you want to pay for shipping or when you come over this way I can give them to you.

Don't know whether I can contribute to the thread but I remember the topic about manifolds/headers for a turbo application from a few threads...
I do remember that people were building the hot side using these: 94-04 Dodge Ram Durango Dakota 5.2/5.9 V8 S/S Racing Manifold Header Exhaust | eBay

Thinking about it they might be mighty tight in an early Valiant though...
Subcom did this with 1 header and 1 manifold. I believe he said that was the only way it would work.

Don't know whether I can contribute to the thread but I remember the topic about manifolds/headers for a turbo application from a few threads...
I do remember that people were building the hot side using these: 94-04 Dodge Ram Durango Dakota 5.2/5.9 V8 S/S Racing Manifold Header Exhaust | eBay

Thinking about it they might be mighty tight in an early Valiant though...

yeah it works for the drivers side but the passenger side is a hard no with inner fenders unfortunately, these early a bodies are cool but there’s no damn room! Lol

Subcom did this with 1 header and 1 manifold. I believe he said that was the only way it would work.

my worry about that is having one side with a 3” outlet and the other a little choked down from a manifold with a 2” outlet. Anyone have opinions on this?

my worry about that is having one side with a 3” outlet and the other a little choked down from a manifold with a 2” outlet. Anyone have opinions on this?

Yep. First turbo I did had manifolds. And the turbo sat right on top of the passenger side manifold.

It was a night mare because half the engine sent no exhaust to the turbo, and the other side fed the turbo.

It sucked. You couldn't get it happy, as the engine saw the same boost while the exhaust was different bank to bank.

I think any discrepancies between banks is not good. An inch difference in outlets is a big deal.

My bet is you'll have to fab your own exhaust. Those early A's (as you well know) are very tight.

Both outlets are a hair under 2". Both the eBay manifolds and shorty headers.

Both outlets are a hair under 2". Both the eBay manifolds and shorty headers.

I was gonna end up using an original 273 passenger center exit manifold and a mid 90’s Jeep Cherokee manifold. There’s actually about a half inch difference. I’m back to a Dakota header for the drivers side and a Headman block hugger for the passenger side at this point.

I was gonna end up using an original 273 passenger center exit manifold and a mid 90’s Jeep Cherokee manifold. There’s actually about a half inch difference. I’m back to a Dakota header for the drivers side and a Headman block hugger for the passenger side at this point.

I don't think the latter is a bad option. In fact, probably a pretty good one.

I like that idea. Really curious to see how the block hugger works out.

The block hugger fits really nice, I do have to pull the valve cover to remove or install it but once it’s on it is sitting right where I want it. I also ordered a pair of pacesetter headers for the magnum engines because it doesn’t have that ugly loop (I’m a little OCD I know). After Thanksgiving I will be moving it to my friends house to get some real progress on the turbo mount, hotside and such possibly installing an A/W intercooler also.

245BD98E-478B-4032-8FA1-EBC77A4CBD38.jpeg

28CBFE99-BCAA-4FE1-A616-C4C6CD4E7215.jpeg

27A9D26A-C7C4-4803-9A70-A67148BF9A08.jpeg

5738BA00-8B34-4AE4-B31E-3400E216D240.jpeg

16F9BAEB-0DB4-4F11-BABA-D96DE2912B55.jpeg

Making progress!!! Super excited how it’s turning out!!! At this point it’s mostly all mocked up and tacked. Hotside is all done in 2” stainless steel, used a pacesetter “Passenger” header on the drivers side and a headman block hugger on the passenger side. Exhaust is gonna be 3” stainless to about the frame rail on the passenger side then will go to a mild steel and possibly down to a 2.5 to get by the T-bar. Any opinions? Is 2.5 too small?

0425E3C2-7FE2-433A-ADB7-6D9285C2A9D3.jpeg

03E945A8-9BB7-4F3C-BF08-19131E4E2277.jpeg

482AE9DB-D467-4F19-91A2-662E392F91CB.jpeg

1A79884B-AAD2-463F-8F92-C3E572F24853.jpeg

05A7AEE9-827F-4FE4-BC42-97E216F71C3F.jpeg

097D350E-C2D5-44B3-B343-B21F8A68A3D2.jpeg

0516BA7E-7ACC-4E54-8981-C83FBACEAE48.jpeg

7B614707-8DC2-4CB4-8AFC-CE172124D275.jpeg

9D8AF8E5-80E9-47B9-81BE-DF63D2D87FD3.jpeg

87603844-B263-457A-84F9-D7E362E3CDEE.jpeg

Making progress!!! Super excited how it’s turning out!!! At this point it’s mostly all mocked up and tacked. Hotside is all done in 2” stainless steel, used a pacesetter “Passenger” header on the drivers side and a headman block hugger on the passenger side. Exhaust is gonna be 3” stainless to about the frame rail on the passenger side then will go to a mild steel and possibly down to a 2.5 to get by the T-bar. Any opinions? Is 2.5 too small?

View attachment 1715434205

View attachment 1715434207

View attachment 1715434208

View attachment 1715434209

View attachment 1715434210

View attachment 1715434212

View attachment 1715434213

View attachment 1715434214

View attachment 1715434215

View attachment 1715434216

Ahh Dude that's looking Sick.. Loving it!

Since i'm looking at doing the same in a 65' let me ask you a ? as your reducing pipe to go around the TBar. I know there expensive as F, but how much benefit in terms of pipe routing ease and clearance would you be having now if you had one of the Alterkation or HDK front ends in your sweet ride.

Ahh Dude that's looking Sick.. Loving it!

Since i'm looking at doing the same in a 65' let me ask you a ? as your reducing pipe to go around the TBar. I know there expensive as F, but how much benefit in terms of pipe routing ease and clearance would you be having now if you had one of the Alterkation or HDK front ends in your sweet ride.

eventually it will get a HDK front end. My first goal is to get it back on the road and enjoy it a little. I haven’t been behind the wheel for way too long. Lol. Just a suggestion, twins would probably be easier to pull off.

eventually it will get a HDK front end. My first goal is to get it back on the road and enjoy it a little. I haven’t been behind the wheel for way too long. Lol. Just a suggestion, twins would probably be easier to pull off.

Can you tell me why so on the Twins, is it the plumbing?
After talking with someone else recently they had me leaning towards a Single PT88 and says the "Precisions have a smaller footprint".

-
Back