Any idea why this shift shaft seal would be leaking?

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My son's transmission has been leaking since he bought the car. And it has progressively gotten worse. Pretty much knew where the leak was coming from and what I had to do. And of course we forgot to do it while the engine and trans was out of the car. Duh. Oh well I've done them before, not that big a deal.

Got the levers off, reached up there amongst it and something didn't feel right immediately. Stuck my camera up and took these pictures. Really? Why in the hell would anybody bother to do a half *** job like this?

Question is do I press it on in and see what happens or go ahead and change it out. At least it'll be easy to get out. Think I'll just go ahead and change them. Got both seals sitting here anyway.

20220512_192821_1652406772444.jpg
20220512_192909_1652406772146.jpg

Change that crap! Lol. It looks like the shaft is leaning/ out of square? Or am I trippin'? Is it loose? And, don't feel bad, I paid 300 buck to have my ( sitting 14 years after having 700 miles on er, done by P.O.)272 gone through, cat didn't do the shift shaft, Throttle Arm. Gets Better, after the Deceased ex stole the 66 Sat, when I got the Duster, I Forgot to change em, when it was out!

Change that crap! Lol. It looks like the shaft is leaning/ out of square? Or am I trippin'? Is it loose? And, don't feel bad, I paid 300 buck to have my ( sitting 14 years after having 700 miles on er, done by P.O.)272 gone through, cat didn't do the shift shaft, Throttle Arm. Gets Better, after the Deceased ex stile the 66 Sat, when I got the Duster, I Forgot to change em, when it was out!
No, shaft is okay shifts fine. Probably just an optical delusion.
And thanks, I don't feel so dumb for forgetting to change it now. I think we all pull crap like that every now and then.

Darn, my eyes are getting bad! Wow, it's not the shaft, it's the seal cocked in the bore! Who does that kinda **** and leaves it?
Yeah, there you go.
Really it takes a minute to put a mirror up there and look at it.

Last edited:
No, Man, no. I ain't knockin' Y'all !!!! Some body put that I wrong, looks like
Yeah I got you. No worries. I was talking about the dope that put that thing in, too. Yes he definitely forgot to seat it all the way. I don't know I can't figure it out. Just probably forgot to go back and check when they were done. Or maybe didn't know about the C-clamp trick.

What's the easy way to remove the seal under the car?
Two ways I would do it. In order of preference: 1. Special tool from the top or
2. remove pan and valve body tap out from below.

Last edited:
Removing the pan and valve body is WORK...just do it right. Sure, you might get lucky doing it from the top, but most of us are so slow anyway, that the biggest part of the job is jacking up the car. There could be a problem with the shaft or case that you can't see doing it from the top...I don't like to put stuff together and then have to wonder if it's going to work...If you're going to work on your own transmission; dropping a pan and valve body is no big deal.

Trans work sucks. No matter how long you drain the trans fluid, there will be 1 cup left under the valve body and no amount of pans will catch all the drips. At least that is what Ive found. The drips seem to travel to all points of the compass and drop right outside the catch pans footprint. Whomever created the trans pan with the drain plug deserves a beer. I would have tapped that seal in flush before changing it out. May have been a 5 minutes job with a deep socket on top and a crowbar forcing it down or C-clamp if you got one that ballsey.

Trans work sucks. No matter how long you drain the trans fluid, there will be 1 cup left under the valve body and no amount of pans will catch all the drips. At least that is what Ive found. The drips seem to travel to all points of the compass and drop right outside the catch pans footprint. Whomever created the trans pan with the drain plug deserves a beer. I would have tapped that seal in flush before changing it out. May have been a 5 minutes job with a deep socket on top and a crowbar forcing it down or C-clamp if you got one that ballsey.
Well it can still happen. Cuz the way it looks in the pictures is the way it still sits. All I had time for was to get things disassembled. And it took me way longer than 5 minutes just to get the damn linkages and levers off. LOL
But the way I'm looking at it is, I have to press one back on anyway. It might as well be a new one. Might try to run it if I knew how long it had been on there. I have no idea.
And yes I I like a trans pan with a drain plug, too.

I love working on transmissions. My favorite is taking them apart. It's still exciting to anticipate what I'm going to find. It's either interesting because it's something new, or because it's something unusually common...

Both are in and done. Soon as the shift shaft seal hit bottom, the constant oozing trans fluid stopped. It was like magic. Seems to be holding for now I'll check it after lunch.
20220514_120539.jpg
20220514_124428.jpg

Crap, forgot to get a picture of my setup with the ballsey C-clamp. More to come.

-
Back