Best Kept Secret in the Big Block Mopar World

-
I've seen 2 #230 casting blocks 1 didn't have the huge main webbing and the 1 with the huge main webbing had a crack across #3 main saddle.
I have 3 #630 casting 73 400s, 1 is my 470, 1 has a cracked main saddle (mock up block) & the last 1 is in good shape but will need alot of detailing since it sat outside and will get 8 sleeves which I'm trying to track down a sleeve that will start slightly over the 4.342 standard bore.
I have a 383 Im going to experiment with also might see about getting 440 sleeves to fit, not sure if that's even possible but I'll find out

Oh boy the way Andy f used the 530 late 78 block and put around 800 HP down.
So year it's a matter of using a good block vs just assuming by casting numbers

I've seen 2 #230 casting blocks 1 didn't have the huge main webbing and the 1 with the huge main webbing had a crack across #3 main saddle.
I have 3 #630 casting 73 400s, 1 is my 470, 1 has a cracked main saddle (mock up block) & the last 1 is in good shape but will need alot of detailing since it sat outside and will get 8 sleeves which I'm trying to track down a sleeve that will start slightly over the 4.342 standard bore.
I have a 383 Im going to experiment with also might see about getting 440 sleeves to fit, not sure if that's even possible but I'll find out
We used to bore the 383 .070 thou. No problem at all. Kim

Just remember the nominal ID of the sleeve is just that. Most sleeves come .030-.040 under nominal bore size so you have something to bore to size (for honing of course).

The bigger the ID you start with the thicker the sleeve will be when you are done. I used to have a chart with all the sleeve sizes on it. That went away when the dyno went away. But I would look for whatever bore size I wanted and the length and I would get that rather than looking up a sleeve in the catalog.

Just remember the nominal ID of the sleeve is just that. Most sleeves come .030-.040 under nominal bore size so you have something to bore to size (for honing of course).

The bigger the ID you start with the thicker the sleeve will be when you are done. I used to have a chart with all the sleeve sizes on it. That went away when the dyno went away. But I would look for whatever bore size I wanted and the length and I would get that rather than looking up a sleeve in the catalog.
Yeah, I was hoping a Ford 460 would work but I'll have to recheck the cylinder length.
I suppose what I'm looking to do is have 4.375 be the standard bore or a 4.400

The good old 383's we had with the "thin" webbing had the tar beat out of them. And werent balanced and blueprinted like todays builds. They did ok if I remember. Now everybody needs a 230 block or their 475 hp build will blow up...FWIW I saw 2 400's for sale with real bad core shift. They arent Unicorns. They are a good building block for a wild bracket engine or torque monster. Most people wont be building 780 hp strokers with them anyway. My 2cents.

It is simply a thinker block, it has a certain cast number, I forget what. Hard to find and IF the seller knows what he has, it can bring more $$$. Not gold plated though. Building a bigger more inch 440 is probably more "in" today.
If you actually watched my video you would know what the casting number is. The “secret” is the cold weather block. Most people have never heard of them

The good old 383's we had with the "thin" webbing had the tar beat out of them. And werent balanced and blueprinted like todays builds. They did ok if I remember. Now everybody needs a 230 block or their 475 hp build will blow up...FWIW I saw 2 400's for sale with real bad core shift. They arent Unicorns. They are a good building block for a wild bracket engine or torque monster. Most people wont be building 780 hp strokers with them anyway. My 2cents.
You’re exactly right. For the guy or gal who wants to build something to that level, the 230 block is something to look at. Like I mentioned in the video, it’ll need to be sonic checked.

Oh boy the way Andy f used the 530 late 78 block and put around 800 HP down.
So year it's a matter of using a good block vs just assuming by casting numbers
I’ve followed AndyF for years now. He’s got a really impressive 470. I state in the video that all the 400s are great to use. I just emphasized the 230 CWB for its obvious benefit. I even mentioned the need to sonic check it.

And then there's..........(found on Moparts)

Why does everyone think the 230 400 block is the ONLY 400 block worth building View attachment 1715963621

Just venting a LOT.... I had to go through 3 -400 blocks to find one that did not need a cylinder or 2 sleeved due to core shift for the 470ci I'm building. Guess what, 2 of the blocks were "230" blocks View attachment 1715963622 Both had horrific core shift.. the 830- 74 block I'm building has very consistent cylinders walls averaging .190 -.220 on the major and minor thrust sides View attachment 1715963623

How could this be? It's not the world famous holy grail of all Mopar blocks! The """"230"""" Block
I mentioned the core shift issues in the video. Also mentioned that other 400 blocks would be great to use. It seems like no one on this thread actually watched the full video.

LOL.. For years, even down under here in Australia, people have been sourcing the 400 B blocks for strokers etc...
I think calling it a secret is a little optimistic.
But hey, you got your mug on the wwwintertube right?
Written like another person that didn’t actually watch the video. I was talking about the cold weather block. Not many people know about it. If they have, they may not have actually seen what the mains looked like.

another under 30 young gun that knows far more than anybody that came before him. that secret is older than he is
Another keyboard warrior that didn’t watch the video and just assumed I was just some young ignorant millennial. 95% of the people I’ve spoken to have never heard of the cold weather block.

Written like another person that didn’t actually watch the video. I was talking about the cold weather block. Not many people know about it. If they have, they may not have actually seen what the mains looked like.
Sorry, but that's also known . All makes of blocks are imported here, so if one is perceived as being more desirable than the other, then that's what importers try to source. HD, Truck, cold weather, etc, from whatever brand.
The guy I used to get import parts from would blab about it to everyone interested in getting blocks and everyone likes to be "in the know" so it just spread from there. The Mopar community is small here, so everything spreads fast.
I think the next secret should be stroked 361 blocks..

To anyone who reads this thread in the future:

It’s true that there is a 400BBM 230 casting CWB that has thicker mains. It’s also true that not all of them are good to use and NEED to be sonic checked. It is once again, true that all 400s make great strokers regardless of the casting number as long as they spec out.

I mentioned all of this with full transparency in the video. I really have no idea what sparked the rude and childish responses from some people. They either never watched the video or maybe they had a past experience with a bad 230 block and have become a little bitter. Not sure but, regardless of all that, the 230 block is something to keep in the back of your mind if you ever find yourself strolling through the junkyard or internet looking for an engine to build

-
Back