Best Kept Secret in the Big Block Mopar World

-
You can put enough head on there to make 600HP.
What a defeatist you are..

That’s ridiculous. Why would you limit HP with a weeny bore? ALL Chrysler big blocks are cylinder head limited. And you suggest to limit the head even more with a small bore. No thanks. Torque is the fools errand. Give me horsepower any day of the week.

You can put enough head on there to make 600HP.
What a defeatist you are..
Tell us the combo that's going to make 600 HP ?
I don't care about power adders either
No aftermarket head will work with that bore size.

That’s ridiculous. Why would you limit HP with a weeny bore? ALL Chrysler big blocks are cylinder head limited. And you suggest to limit the head even more with a small bore. No thanks. Torque is the fools errand. Give me horsepower any day of the week.
Not really what I'm talking about, but anyway, sure,we all know you build the highest HP per cube big blocks in the Country.. There...I massaged your Ego.
Obviously if we were talking about 4.125+ Mopar smallblocks, then you'd be talking out the other side of your mouth..
When I opted to build a big block, I went straight to the Gen 2 Hemi, because why would I want to limit HP with a weeny weak 2 bolt passenger car block and valve shrouding?

Last edited:
Last edited:
i have a 230 block, date code is 12/10/71. it is at the machine shop now getting sonic checked. was supposed to have been done last week. it is not the cwb. i re-read the 440 source on blocks and saw that all 230 blocks we not cwb. so i called them and they said that although the cwb is highly sought after, there is nothing wrong with using the std 230/630 block for your stroker 512. my 230/630 blocks are not $1k blocks but probably $500.00 blocks after sonic checking and hot tanking.
In that 440 article it says that the 400 is the strongest block Chrysler ever made. And the weakest of the 400 blocks is still stronger than any other Chrysler block.

Here's one.. You wouldn't even need the fancy bottom end..
Over 600hp... with a dual plane
255@50 650 on the intake.
Mopar 412 Big-Block - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Now do me a favor, go piss off and annoy someone else.

And you could have started with a 400, had a bigger bore and made MORE power. I guess you like low power, low performance ****. That sounds like you.

Piss off? What are you, 10? Do I annoy you? Who cares. Grow up.

"Torque is a fool's errand."

Where do you think horsepower comes from?

Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm. H = T x rpm/5252, where H is horsepower, T is pound-feet, rpm is how fast the engine is spinning, and 5252 is a constant that makes the units jibe. So, to make more power an engine needs to generate more torque, operate at higher rpm, or both.Apr 15, 2016

"Torque is a fool's errand."

Where do you think horsepower comes from?

Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm. H = T x rpm/5252, where H is horsepower, T is pound-feet, rpm is how fast the engine is spinning, and 5252 is a constant that makes the units jibe. So, to make more power an engine needs to generate more torque, operate at higher rpm, or both.Apr 15, 2016

Right. I subscribe to the higher rpm. Horsepower makes the car quicker and faster. Not torque.

Here's one.. You wouldn't even need the fancy bottom end..
Over 600hp... with a dual plane
255@50 650 on the intake.
Mopar 412 Big-Block - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Now do me a favor, go piss off and annoy someone else.
Oh you got pissed off, lol .
Look at those heads, any other short block would have pulled another 75 HP at 6000 rpm instead of barely cracking 600 a 7000 rpm lol.
You wanna call that a win go ahead I call it a joke just like your opinions.

"this Mopar oddity proves that innovative thinking and a mastery of machining talent can pull unexpected power from an unlikely source."

So if you aren't a machinist, plan on spending some good money for the mods done to a 361.

Mancini was selling new 400 blocks for 200 bucks in the 90's.

Y'all acting like Pontiac guys on here...what a disgrace to the mopar culture..grow up. Build what you want. Love what you want. Take pride in what you want and respect someone else's right to do the same. Nothing wrong with friendly disagreements and discussion to learn and grow but this is pathetic to even read. Build anything and everything to the best of you and your wallets ability and enjoy it. That's why we are here and why we build these cars!

Build anything and everything to the best of you and your wallets ability and enjoy it.
That's the point I'm trying to make, at least with the 361. Cost effective power, it's always been my goal, and all the parts I've collected will help me achieve that.

I know guys that build blown poly 318s and they enjoy them. If your into a slant 6 and your passionate about them, great. 273,318,340,360,361,383,400,413,440,426 build them all and be proud of what you and others have done. not everyone has the same skillset or bank account. At least he ain't building and bragging about a damn ford or an LS :drama:

I know guys that build blown poly 318s and they enjoy them. If your into a slant 6 and your passionate about them, great. 273,318,340,360,361,383,400,413,440,426 build them all and be proud
I agree. I don't always do the best work or make the smartest decisions, some will say, but I do what I can and am usually satisfied....thats what counts. I don't have to be the fastest, the biggest, the best... happy will do!
Decades ago, a young guy moved to Mo. from Ia. just down the road, with a wagon and a 361. I have no idea what he had, but it was one running son of a buck. But I do know, it was LOW cost! Was it the fastest...no.

I agree. I don't always do the best work or make the smartest decisions, some will say, but I do what I can and am usually satisfied....thats what counts. I don't have to be the fastest, the biggest, the best... happy will do!
Decades ago, a young guy moved to Mo. from Ia. just down the road, with a wagon and a 361. I have no idea what he had, but it was one running son of a buck. But I do know, it was LOW cost! Was it the fastest...no.
Twenty years ago, I wanted all my cars to be ready for the track, I haven't gotten one there yet. They go plenty fast for what I do. That said, the Dart will at least be ready if I ever take it to the track. Big block with aluminum everywhere and fiberglass front end, bumpers and trunk lid. Some day.

I know guys that build blown poly 318s and they enjoy them. If your into a slant 6 and your passionate about them, great. 273,318,340,360,361,383,400,413,440,426 build them all and be proud of what you and others have done. not everyone has the same skillset or bank account. At least he ain't building and bragging about a damn ford or an LS :drama:
You forgot 1, the 350 big block.

Right. I subscribe to the higher rpm. Horsepower makes the car quicker and faster. Not torque.
That right there is funny. You're going to gain horsepower by RPM but you're not going to calculate in the torque that the RPM is multiplied bye. Do you even have any idea what you're talking about? Or are you just trying to BS us all into thinking you're some brilliant individual engine building Jose?
So far you have not impressed me.

Y'all acting like Pontiac guys on here...what a disgrace to the mopar culture..grow up. Build what you want. Love what you want. Take pride in what you want and respect someone else's right to do the same. Nothing wrong with friendly disagreements and discussion to learn and grow but this is pathetic to even read. Build anything and everything to the best of you and your wallets ability and enjoy it. That's why we are here and why we build these cars!
No one on here was talking about building a 361, what's his name was just bitching about no one making pistons for the 361, a couple of us members stated reasons why they don't make pistons, he started to cry, he's a baby, don't stick up for him, he'll definitely let you down!

That right there is funny. You're going to gain horsepower by RPM but you're not going to calculate in the torque that the RPM is multiplied bye. Do you even have any idea what you're talking about? Or are you just trying to BS us all into thinking you're some brilliant individual engine building Jose?
So far you have not impressed me.
Just fyi, rat bastid knows that & probably better than most on this site

It's just sad...
I post an article to a 600HP 361 stroker build and both these guys are still unhappy.
One guy is carrying on with the "you could build this for that" story, which we've all heard and discussed countless times before, somehow thinking it's a revelation and he's a genius for repeating it.
The other guy's upset because the 600HP story showed he was incorrect in his assumptions and because I thought it was a pity no one made a piston for the 361 so you could take advantage of the B series stroker rotating assemblies available.

It's just sad...
I post an article to a 600HP 361 stroker build and both these guys are still unhappy.
One guy is carrying on with the "you could build this for that" story, which we've all heard and discussed countless times before, somehow thinking it's a revelation and he's a genius for repeating it.
The other guy's upset because the 600HP story showed he was incorrect in his assumptions and because I thought it was a pity no one made a piston for the 361 so you could take advantage of the B series stroker rotating assemblies available.
No, both of us are just smarter than you by far & it started to really piss you off to where you started calling names also we realize even though you found 1 build lol it's still the dumbest build you can do for a big block Mopar. You can keep crying now!

-
Back