best place to get big brakes?

-

wracks71

Reaction score
i am looking to upgrade to big brakes. anybody priced around and found any good deals? looking for rears first.

Discs on the rear I am assuming? Big as in 11", 12.19", 13" or 14"? I bought my Wilwood stuff from Bill Reilly (RMS) he had better prices then Jegs/Summit.

Some of the bigger brakes are gonna make your spacing different and may cause wheel fitment issues

dude. we need to talk! and yes i am wanting rear brakes first. do they space out further?

Rears first? With big front brakes you don't even need to change the rears. 13 inch front rotors work just fine with factory 10 inch drums in the rear. I have several road race customers who run that setup. My 13 inch Viper kit up front is all the brake an A body will need up to about 150 mph.

Rears first? With big front brakes you don't even need to change the rears. 13 inch front rotors work just fine with factory 10 inch drums in the rear. I have several road race customers who run that setup. My 13 inch Viper kit up front is all the brake an A body will need up to about 150 mph.

This is the car with the Brembo Viper caliper and 13"? disks. And it runs the mustang spec rims you have too. I think AndyF can design them so you don't need a spacer?

This car is fast with a very capable driver/owner/builder that is a road course instructor. It's not some "Pro Touring" bling car that is an exercise in how many cool aftermarket/custom parts you can put together just for the fact they are aftermarket/custom. It's just build to go on the track and HAS repeatedly been on the track!!

IMG_2635.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2688.jpg

2007-05-03_037.jpg

2007-05-03_038.jpg

More pics showing motor and cage details:

http://www.mrmopar.com/SpringFling2007/WillowSprings/

AndyF I think has picture of this car dicing with a Porcshe 911 GT2?

Yep, that is Tim's car. He runs one of my 13 inch front rotor kits with late model Viper calipers. The Mustang rims bolt right on without a spacer.
At the moment he is running 17x9 rims but he has also run 17x8 rims in the past. That car ran 10 inch rear drums for several years. He recently converted over to rear disc brakes using a bracket system that I designed which retains the tapered roller bearings. The rear discs are slightly lighter than drums and they have a linear response which is better for high speed racing.

AndyF, how's it going? Long time no see.

Can you provide a few details about the rear disc set up's out there? I'm a bit lost on what I can do on both, as in "On the cheap" and if I had a few extra bucks for better than average equipment.

Yep, that is Tim's car. He runs one of my 13 inch front rotor kits with late model Viper calipers. The Mustang rims bolt right on without a spacer.
At the moment he is running 17x9 rims but he has also run 17x8 rims in the past. That car ran 10 inch rear drums for several years. He recently converted over to rear disc brakes using a bracket system that I designed which retains the tapered roller bearings. The rear discs are slightly lighter than drums and they have a linear response which is better for high speed racing.

i have nothing against the drums,other than i hate them! i like the simpicity of disk. i have front disk now,factory,and that will be fine for now. no bling here either,i want function,i drive my ****! anyway,the only problem with the wheels is the outer tie rod still hits with a 10mm thick spacer. i ground it a little,but i don't like to do that. i am thinking about drilling the mount for a heim joint. i found some kits as well. i am running 17x 9's front and rear. is there a way to get ahold of you? i would like to talk to you about the viper setup for the front and if you have something for the rear. the big brake kits are pricey for sure! thanks,eric

DoctorDiff has a good rear disc setup for the Mopar rearend that retains the tapered roller bearings. It is one of the very few rear disc kits that I'd install on a car.

can you be more specific? you seem to be the man with the brake situation! i am wanting to do this pretty soon. thinking of just doing the viper front deal. how much farther does the viper front move the wheels out over stock stuff?

More specific about what? If you already have 17x9 wheels then you'll need different wheels with the 13 inch kit since the hub surface is moved out about 0.750 inches. The 13 inch kit is designed to work with Mustang rims that have the 5.72 backspacing. On some cars you need to go with even more backspacing than that. It takes some real effort to cram big brakes and big tires into the small space that the factory engineers left us to work with.

AndyF-
any car guy who uses terms like "linear response" definitely has my respect. you rock man!
thanks for sharing your knowledge and for your contributions to our hobby.

AndyF-
any car guy who uses terms like "linear response" definitely has my respect. you rock man!
thanks for sharing your knowledge and for your contributions to our hobby.

lol! yea i have pretty much figured that out! i will be talking to him! hows your junk going pauly?

just past noon here. got a call from gil, a local club guy http://www.moparshawaii.com/
i'm taking a big brake b-body rear end (alotta B's) with 3.20something open case and a 3.91 sure grip on the side off of his hands for 600.00

i'm gonna go get it in a couple hours. good deal ???
hope so bec its hard to find that stuff here, if i dont get it now, i may be waiting a long time before the opportunity comes again.

otherwise, sunny and 85 lol
aloha- pauly

i think you can get them cheaper over here. but considering shipping,and it had big disks,don't sound bad! i am thinking of taking the rear out of my '69 gtx clone project to put in mine.

two sure grip chunks in good shape an a housing with really big brakes, maybe from a cop car or c-body. i think they're 11". i'm happy with the deal.
the guy though the diff thats in the housing was open, so that was a nice surprise.

More specific about what? If you already have 17x9 wheels then you'll need different wheels with the 13 inch kit since the hub surface is moved out about 0.750 inches. The 13 inch kit is designed to work with Mustang rims that have the 5.72 backspacing. On some cars you need to go with even more backspacing than that. It takes some real effort to cram big brakes and big tires into the small space that the factory engineers left us to work with.

that is what i pretty much needed the specifics on. and i am running mustang 17x9 bullitt wheels! i cnc'd some spacers at work (10mm thick) and i am still hitting the outer tierod end when i turn. i am thinking of heating them up and tweaking them,but i am not sure how that will affect them metalurgically. sure as hell don't want them brittle! if i could find one of the arms,i will look into making some billitt ones. do you have a number i can get ahold of you at? thanks.

that is what i pretty much needed the specifics on. and i am running mustang 17x9 bullitt wheels! i cnc'd some spacers at work (10mm thick) and i am still hitting the outer tierod end when i turn. i am thinking of heating them up and tweaking them,but i am not sure how that will affect them metalurgically. sure as hell don't want them brittle! if i could find one of the arms,i will look into making some billitt ones. do you have a number i can get ahold of you at? thanks.

The lower steering arms are part of the lower ball joint. Have you filled and grinded the casting flash? If you ran a little more spacer would it help?

Can you see exactly where it hits?

The lower steering arms are part of the lower ball joint. Have you filled and grinded the casting flash? If you ran a little more spacer would it help?

Can you see exactly where it hits?

i thought they were part of the arms! never really had the frontend apart myself yet! i ground the **** out of the tierod end,but like i said,i wouldn't trust it racing. i have 10mm thick spacers i made on it know,and i am almost into the fenders! i may have to just go to 18's like pauly and make it easy!

i thought they were part of the arms! never really had the frontend apart myself yet! i ground the **** out of the tierod end,but like i said,i wouldn't trust it racing. i have 10mm thick spacers i made on it know,and i am almost into the fenders! i may have to just go to 18's like pauly and make it easy!

How much more spacer would it take to have them not hit? Then just cut the lower front fender lip. I think you allready did that once, so it's not a virgin there.

To run 18's you'll end up with thinner sidewalls that are less forgiving when autocrossing.

Do you have pictures of the grinding you've done to the tie rods so far.

why can't you trade the 17x9s on front to 17x8 rims? should solve all that.

heres 17X8 with non adjustable tubular uca's, no spacers...

wheel pics 003_1_1.JPG

but the 9's look so good in the front!! lol! i thought about it,but i wanted to be able to rotate them. i called around today pricing viper front brake kits,i think i am going that route. i might even trade up and get 18x9 cobra r wheels like yours to clear the front. or i might sell the two fronts and get 8's for the front. anybody want two 17x9 bullitt's for the rear with tires? $200.

why can't you trade the 17x9s on front to 17x8 rims? should solve all that.

heres 17X8 with non adjustable tubular uca's, no spacers...

If the 17x9 have 5.72" backspacing and the 17x8 have 5.72" backspacing, how would running 17x8 have with tie rod clearance ??

-
Back