Birth of the Blue Missile

-
Do you have a sketch of the "finished product" that you have in mind? I would be interested in seeing it. You have some original ideas going here. I think it's cool.

Stroker, here are the original concept drawings from '06.
Also Guys the book is now available nationally through Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc.
Andrew

Attachments

• DUSTER2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 759
  • DUSTER3 rotated.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 768
RJ,
I am ordering a couple of gallons of black epoxy primer and will jam and do the window openings first. But a storm already blew off two tarps that were secured to the car and got some of the electronics wet. I have to get the car watertight again. And since the black primer will be the base coat anyway I dont think it will hurt.
Andrew

Copy, just didnt think it rained in Texas:D

The primer will protect it. Just leave off the trim or take it off again before you spray

Yeah, but when it rains it can be nasty. Also the trim is getting painted black with the car. I have been watching Rocket City Rednecks and am trying to figure out how to attach charcoal briquets to the car for the real stealth finish:D
Andrew

Hey Yall,
I can not tell you how honored I am to have been given an award for Technical Achievement by the classic MoPar club yesterday at the Christmas party.
"Fish that kills" and "Texas swim dad" were there along with the modern club.
If any of you lurkers live near Austin come join us its a great group of gearheads.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo609.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 700
Congratulations, I would have to say it's well deserved......Some of the stuff you fabricate is beyond words, thats meant in a good way !!! keep it up.

The epoxy arrived and I have gotten the front and rear window channels done and the glass guy is coming on Tuesday to put the front windshield in. Im still waiting on the rear gasket ordered last week to arrive.
In the mean time since its cold and wet outside I started in on the trunk relay center for the lights,spoiler,compressors,and ignition circuits for the afterburners. I have all the mechanical fabrication done next is connecting it all together.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo614.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 654
  • Photo613.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 664
Congrats on the Award....to parrot Ross....well deserved

Mopar to ya'
Denny

OK,
to continue in the OMG WTF theme of the build I have finished wiring up the ignition modules for the afterburners. You guys can rag on me about the afterburners later. The circuits are IC555 pulse generated/power transistor triggers for an ignition coil. The pulse rate is fast enough to create a continuous full width spark across a .110" gap. That aught to do the trick.
Sorry about the slightly blurry nature of the photo, the camera in my phone seemed confused.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo619.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 649
this build is so cool. so different. And likely will weight 2000 pounds in wiring alone.

.....and then there is the weight of the shielding for the naquadah based hyper-drive:burnout:
Andrew

but when you flip the anti-gravity switch....whats weight????

Ok, here's why custom cars cost so much, I have a week invested in this little box. It's made from a computer power supply box. It controls the rear lighting scheme as well as housing the afterburner ign circuits. It allows me to use a single bi-color LED in a side marker for both running light and turn signal, and in the case of the rear ones choose the DOT (red) color scheme or blue. This box along with one in the engine compartment will allow me to switch the car's lighting from street legal to all blue with one switch in the console.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo624.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 578
  • Photo623.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 569
  • Photo622.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 565
In preparation for putting all the glass in, there were some welding chores left to do. So I spent sat and part of today inside the trunk finally welding up the fuel cell hole and the rear down tubes for the cage, as well as reinforcing the area under where the battery box will go. I just welded down a piece of 16Ga over the existing floor of the trunk.
After that in true MoPar fashion I slapped a coat of seam sealer over all the seams in preparation for a coat of epoxy primer.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo628.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 548
  • Photo631.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 544
Seeing your trunk... FYI the 5th ave power trunk releases have the same style locking mechanism as the duster. in fact i beleive they have the same bolt hole pattern.

Hemi
rather than going with an electric lock for the trunk,I dont like them electrik contraptions :D, I opted to go with a very high security replaceable core locking system by "Best", I use them for high security commercial buildings. As it happened it fit quite nicely with just a little massaging in the original hole. I had to fab a new clamping plate for the back, but that was a minor job.
Andrew

Attachments

• trunk lock 002.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 529
Hemi
rather than going with an electric lock for the trunk,I dont like them electrik contraptions :D, I opted to go with a very high security replaceable core locking system by "Best", I use them for high security commercial buildings. As it happened it fit quite nicely with just a little massaging in the original hole. I had to fab a new clamping plate for the back, but that was a minor job.
Andrew

simply said ..... your amazing. :thumblef:

Guys,
to tell the truth sometimes I amaze myself in that I actually pull some of this crap off!
In the mean time, The trunk now has two coats of epoxy primer, and some of the pieces are finding their place. I still have to order and install the trunk lid supports before I can bolt down the battery box.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo634.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 505
  • Photo636.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 503
We can't stop you....we can only hope to contain you..

Well I finally got the glass in the front and rear windshields!!!!!
Next are the doors, Im waiting for a replacement hinge from another member of the club here in Austin, then I will pull the doors and "jam" the door openings and paint the inside of the doors and put in the electric regulators and new glass.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo638.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 837
  • Photo637.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 842
-
Back