blueprint 408

-

ir3333

Reaction score
475 ft.lb. 375 hp
any first hand experience with this engine?
hard to build one in my area for 3500.00.
looks like an ideal street combo with that much torque.

Not personally but use the search function and you'll find a thread about 1 of our members night mare with one of their engines. What a piece of crap it was. That's why they can build it for $3500

Have seen a few threads here and other boards where guys were having problems and blueprint was of no help.

I will chime in here and say DON'T buy it, bought one of there 408 Short Block lost oil pressure at 500 miles due to just plain piss poor machining.it took me a year to get the issue with them fixed, they sent me another short block, I have had no problems with this one. just not worth it. DON'T BUT IT

AJ71DUSTER

All of the above plus, I researched them for about a year. I saw nothing but complainants. Many complained that upon receipt they pulled apart the motor and found many non kosher things. Others had runability issues and Blueprint blamed the consumer; not covering anything under warranty. Save up and find a reputable builder. I lucked out and found a new crate motor in a barn.

First off AJ71DUSTER I am sorry that you had trouble with your first engine and I am glad that the replacement that we sent out fixed you up,

After a freaking year. That in my book is totally unacceptable.

I am like a lot of you. Read some bad feedback regarding the Blueprint Engines. However, I don't give a rat's butt whose "crate" engine it is, if I ever buy one (I likely won't because I build all my own) I would tear it completely down and measure and inspect everything. That's a lot of money to take someone's word for the quality of work and the promise of what's in the thing. Not saying anyone would do something unsrcupulous, I am simply saying cover your butt, so to speak. The Blueprint engines have an attractive price. Knowing that ANYONE can have quality control issues should be enough to warrant a teardown, regardless of where the engine came from. It's not about mistrust, it's about protecting your investment.

Oh and welcome aboard, Andrew. Maybe you can shed some light on some of the quality control issues. We're all ears.

I am like a lot of you. Read some bad feedback regarding the Blueprint Engines. However, I don't give a rat's butt whose "crate" engine it is, if I ever buy one (I likely won't because I build all my own) I would tear it completely down and measure and inspect everything. That's a lot of money to take someone's word for the quality of work and the promise of what's in the thing. Not saying anyone would do something unsrcupulous, I am simply saying cover your butt, so to speak. The Blueprint engines have an attractive price. Knowing that ANYONE can have quality control issues should be enough to warrant a teardown, regardless of where the engine came from. It's not about mistrust, it's about protecting your investment.

Oh and welcome aboard, Andrew. Maybe you can shed some light on some of the quality control issues. We're all ears.

That's nice and all.....but tearing the entire engine down and inspecting everything completely defeats the purpose of buying a crate engine. You buy a crate engine so you don't have to build one yourself.

By the way, I also build my own so if something goes I have no one to blame except the guy in the mirror:D.

That's nice and all.....but tearing the entire engine down and inspecting everything completely defeats the purpose of buying a crate engine. You buy a crate engine so you don't have to build one yourself.

By the way, I also build my own so if something goes I have no one to blame except the guy in the mirror:D.

That's certainly one of the reasons. But you ARE also buying everything all together. All the parts are there. I don't give a squat who put the thing together, if it comes to my shop, it's comin down. What's the most you're out? A gasket set? It's simply getting to the point that the only one you can trust is yourself. As such, people better learn how to do this stuff themselves. Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but the cost of a gasket set is cheap insurance. The bottom line is the money, not the convenience.

AJ71DUSTER,

I would like to do some investigating into your particular engine to see what the holdup was and why it would have taken us that long. Would you by chance either have the serial number off of your engine or the claim number that you were working with us, you can either post it directly here or p.m. me so that I can look into this for you.

Thanks,

Andrew

My suggestion would be to collect everything you need for you stroker by asking the right questions, researching the parts, and if you can't build it, take it to a machine shop you trust and that can do the work you are looking for. I had my stroker 340 built for $3500 (bought a '73 340 for $100) by being smart buying the parts I wanted and having the block checked, double checked, and then the work done. Good communication was a plus, and in the end I ended up with a motor that dyno'ed at 420hp with 475 lbs of torque. Runs great and I'm happy with my results. I know every part that is in that motor.

Cheap is cheap. You want a QUALITY built engine, with love and attention it deserves, call us, we will hook you up. We dont use the cheapest stuff money cant buy, we use quality parts that are proven to work well together..

$3500 for a complete stroker? That wont even buy the right parts for a good stroker. And our machine work is spot on perfect. Our engines dont burn oil, dont smoke(except the tires!), and perform well for years and years.

I have sent a PM to Andrew from Blue print Engines I guess I don't have a problem telling him of the problems that I had with the 408 short block. I have told many-- whats one more going to hurt? I hope that he is a man of his word?

AJ71DUSTER

Cheap is cheap. You want a QUALITY built engine, with love and attention it deserves, call us, we will hook you up. We dont use the cheapest stuff money cant buy, we use quality parts that are proven to work well together..

$3500 for a complete stroker? That wont even buy the right parts for a good stroker. And our machine work is spot on perfect. Our engines dont burn oil, dont smoke(except the tires!), and perform well for years and years.

yea 2500 gets the machining done LOL... (not sayin you but for my 512)... let alone at least 2000 for the stroker kit, 100-3500 depending on the block, same with heads, valve train can be another grand if your gonna be straining it... on and on...

SS is right... tear it down... i can see not knowing or wanting to tear it down... but a machine shop would have it apart and checked really fast and they will be happy its clean!

This. Do yall see this? This is the answer. If you can't do it yourself and cannot afford to do it RIGHT, then maybe you don't need to do it NOW. Nothing wrong with waiting. Not a damn thing.

Duster- Got your PM, thank you. I was able to find your claim. You bought a short block …unfortunately we do not offer a warranty on short blocks. I see you reported a problem in July, you tore the shortblock apart. You said the crank was fine but there was bearing damage, so we sent you bearings. We followed up with you in the middle of September to see how it was going, and you said you still weren't happy. We brought the engine back to our facility, inspected it, and found it had abrasives introduced into the oil supply. You wanted the original short block back, which we sent to you the end of October. We should have never sent this back to you without reworking it and addressing the problem, but we did. In December we sent you a new short block. My take on this is:

1. We took way to long in getting a solution to you and I am sorry for that
2. Albeit, late we did give you a new short block to replace the one you had issues with, even though we don't offer a warranty on short blocks.

We could have done some things different here to get this rectified quicker, and I am sorry about that, but I am not sure what else we could have done in the end to remedy our mistakes. I hope your new short block is serving you well and I hope you give us another shot in the future.

Thanks,

Andrew

Lotsa left out info on the OP's part. Pretty typical wit these type threads.

Lotsa left out info on the OP's part. Pretty typical wit these type threads.
I agree Strokerscamp, always 2 sides to every story, would be nice to hear what Aj71duster has as a follow up, It is also nice that our new member Andrew (Blueprint Engines) stepped up to the plate and gave us the other side.

Regardless of what hearsay reputation you hear about Blueprint, it seems they covered the sale with no warranty involved. To me, that speaks a lot for their customer service.

At the least they did step up in the end and it seems they may have learned a lesson or two as Andrew appears to want to correct the problems. Good for them, no one is perfect, God knows I'm not...

Andrew once again we could start an open and long debate on what was wrong with the short block that was sent me the first time,SO lets start all over does your claim file have the pictures of the bearings that I pull out of the orignial short block that I sent? does your file also say that the person that orignialy delt with my claim was fired and I was also told that the person the had basicly machine and assemble the 408 no longer worked for your company because he had a history of bad work? I do believe I still have the pictures that were sent to your claims Dept on the uneven bearing wear. Does your file also say that your claim rep tried to tell that the uneven bearing wear was do to me balloning to TQ? Does your file also state that I spent the money to has an ASE certified Machinst review the block and we was willing to give a writen statement if need becasue of your companies claim of abrasivse that were ran though it. Now remember Andrew I sent a PM to try and keep this on a low profie but since you decided to make an open for public debt your on, Now I'm piss all over again. I want to say I'm really sorry to the first OP on this thread because now it is grown it a pissing match. Guess what Andrew My wife just found the pic's of the bearings want them ?

PEACE

post the pictures..

I want to say I'm really sorry to the first OP on this thread because now it is grown it a pissing match.

i wouldn't be sorry. this is real world feedback that people need.

Ok I have had a minute to cool down. yes they did replace the org SB I was glad they did. and I thank them for it but the damage to the first SB had nothing to do with me.Going for a beer

This is like watching someone get hurt, you really don't want to watch/listen, but its SO juicy! You all dont even want to know what I spent on my 403 stroker...Like whack a 0 off the end! Its getting together right now (see thread on bore notching for rod bolts) and if it pops during the first 500 miles...hey, it was cheaper than a long weekend skiing and I didnt break a leg!

..........Pics will tell the story, let's see them.....it seems that its always the other guys fault...........kim............

-
Back