Bolt in Harness Bar don't do it!!!

-
I did the math my self using a chart from a steel tubing vendor and It seems that the wall thickness is somewhere between 0.095 and 0.15 seems plenty thick to me.

It's likely .083, if you are lucky, don't count on it it's .109.

.083 plus plug weight might be right, still inadequate, but hey it's your deal. I still wouldn't rely on that crap to hold me in.

Bad design, insufficient material, no thanks

Interesting the vendor can't even get the specs right...

.083 is the minimum NHRA requirement for chrome-moly, and NHRA knows a thing or two about what is safe and what isn't. But I really really doubt this thing is chrome-moly....since it's marketed to people who want to "look the part" and be pretend racers in their street cars.

It's likely .083, if you are lucky, don't count on it it's .109.

.083 plus plug weight might be right, still inadequate, but hey it's your deal. I still wouldn't rely on that crap to hold me in.

Bad design, insufficient material, no thanks

Interesting the vendor can't even get the specs right...

I am going to run it. the vendor probrably does not know the difference between radius and diameter. not every one has an engineering degree. they just sell them they dont make it.

well i don't want to rain on your parrad but for your safety i would not trust those bars in any kind of crash. one all the hemi joints should be double sheer, this means that there is a tab on both sides of the hemi joint. two, what ever you are guessing the wall thickness is on those tubes is no were near what it needs to be it should be at least .1875 or 3/16 wall and dom, no seams in the tubing, or chrome moly. and three with a cage not roll bar every thing is triangulated so that every does not collaspe in on its self. I am not telling you this to put you down but to help you yes it looks really cool but i would be more affraid that you might get hurt in a simple fender bender. alot of the people on here are giving you these anwsers so that if you do get in to some kind of crash you don't get hurt. but we may say in a way that offends you then well i am sorry but i do not wish a fellow A-Body owner get hurt over something that is more for decoration the for safety
Sorry I have gotten long winded and my spelling sucks but every one is looking out for you. Rob

Funny how reducing the diameter by 50% only gives another .020...lol its more like .12 but I will conservativly estimate that is is more like .095

well i don't want to rain on your parrad but for your safety i would not trust those bars in any kind of crash. one all the hemi joints should be double sheer, this means that there is a tab on both sides of the hemi joint. two, what ever you are guessing the wall thickness is on those tubes is no were near what it needs to be it should be at least .1875 or 3/16 wall and dom, no seams in the tubing, or chrome moly. and three with a cage not roll bar every thing is triangulated so that every does not collaspe in on its self. I am not telling you this to put you down but to help you yes it looks really cool but i would be more affraid that you might get hurt in a simple fender bender. alot of the people on here are giving you these anwsers so that if you do get in to some kind of crash you don't get hurt. but we may say in a way that offends you then well i am sorry but i do not wish a fellow A-Body owner get hurt over something that is more for decoration the for safety
Sorry I have gotten long winded and my spelling sucks but every one is looking out for you. Rob

I understand. Thanks. who makes a roll cage that keeps the rear seat?

Mowrycuda68, I went over to the site that you bought and looked threw it they seem not to give you any info on the product other than some really bad pics. my I ask a question how do the welds look on the product you? are they nice clean or are they ground down

the roll cage thing is some thing that i can not answer for you.

Still haven't seen any proof that this bar is a POS

i still haven't seen any proof that the damn thing actually works.

when it comes to safety i think one should askto have something proved that it works instead of flying blind and asking for proof that it doesn't work.. kind a backwards thinking that your doing if you ask me. but hell it isn't my life or body so do as you wish..

Here is another issue with harness bars:

In a roll-over accident, if the roof caves in on you you have no method to move during the impact of the roof with your head. The seat side bolsters are restricting enough, add the full harness and you become one with the seat. By far the safest situation would be a roll bar. If you are going to do all the fab work just to help the harness bar mounting, why not fab a 4-point roll bar that you can (fairly) easily bolt in and out.

Oh...and before you nay-say the roll over risk, I would be glad to introduce you to a widow who lost her husband in a situation just like this. Had there been a roll bar or if he had a single late model type shoulder belt, he would have lived. A head and neck does not make a good crumple zone.

That point hits home with me. I survived, with only minor injuries, this wreck of my '68 Barracuda without a seat belt! I was lucky enough to fall into the floorboard. I am so glad I was not "one with the seat" given I had no roll bar. Talk about a bad night...

Attachments

• scan0012.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 296
  • scan0013.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 296
That point hits home with me. I survived, with only minor injuries, this wreck of my '68 Barracuda without a seat belt! I was lucky enough to fall into the floorboard. I am so glad I was not "one with the seat" given I had no roll bar. Talk about a bad night...

that is sad how did that happen?

I was wondering the same thing, but I dont believe shoulder belts were an option in 67-9 cudas, so there wouldnt be mounting points would there?? Im asking cuz I dont know.

Shoulder belts were an available option on the 67 Barracuda so the mounting point is there. Shoulder belts were federally mandated for all vehicle production beginning on 1/1/68.
Even if not an option its pretty simple and very safe to retrofit in most vehicles.
Quality 3 point belt sets (for both front seats) can be had for less than the cost of the "bar" in this thread.

that is sad how did that happen?

I'll just say - If you snooze, you lose. The wreck involved no other vehicle other than my own. At only 35 mph on a winding road, crossed a ditch, cut down 3 trees or so, smacked at least one that wouldn't go down, and ended up on the roof. Talk about lucky, I didn't even get a traffic ticket for the whole mess. I lost a beautiful car though and it still makes me sick. But I count my blessings.

Shoulder belts were an available option on the 67 Barracuda so the mounting point is there. Shoulder belts were federally mandated for all vehicle production beginning on 1/1/68.
Even if not an option its pretty simple and very safe to retrofit in most vehicles.
Quality 3 point belt sets (for both front seats) can be had for less than the cost of the "bar" in this thread.

Not to take this train wreck off topic, but my 67 fastback cuda doesn't appear to have any provisions for a shoulder belt. But I am in the process of welding on the car now so it would be a good time to add something. Does anyone have pics they could post?

By the way, while snippy at times, I'm learning a ton here so please don't lock the thread!!

Jason

I'll just say - If you snooze, you lose. The wreck involved no other vehicle other than my own. At only 35 mph on a winding road, crossed a ditch, cut down 3 trees or so, smacked at least one that wouldn't go down, and ended up on the roof. Talk about lucky, I didn't even get a traffic ticket for the whole mess. I lost a beautiful car though and it still makes me sick. But I count my blessings.

icy road?

I agree with keeping the thread open for "Learning". My spidey sense was tingling and I thought this was going to turn into a train wreck.....cue the pics....

Jim, have you got an option code for the shoulder belts?? for 67 and 69?? I may just end up installing some...

Jim, have you got an option code for the shoulder belts?? for 67 and 69?? I may just end up installing some...

Option is listed in the dealership data books at The Hamtramck-historical library. (thanks Barry W!)

I had 68 and 69 Barracuda's that came with factory shoulder belts and my 69 'Cuda has them too.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ataBook/1967/CCI05152011_00021 (983x1280).jpg

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1969/69_Barracuda0023.jpg

Funny how reducing the diameter by 50% only gives another .020...lol its more like .12 but I will conservativly estimate that is is more like .095

What about the weight of the clevis in that 6 pound total weight number?

Yes, for the same weight tube, if you reduce a tube to 1/2 diameter, the wall should go up by a factor of 2. You have other items attached to the tube making it weigh 6 pounds. If the 2 clevis plugs weigh in at 8oz, then that tube is 5 pounds, 12oz, 4.5, 16oz, then it's down to 4... so the wall gets THINNER.

FTW may mean Follow the Widow...

just weighed it and the bar with the brackets removed bare is 7.5 pounds..the full length of the tubing is 56 inches including the bends.

-
Back