Bought some property and a shop.

-

kaharshs

Reaction score
Well, last year I was thinking about my future and what I wanted to do. I decided that I wanted to open a part time shop, get a different full time job, and move back to Oregon. I currently live in the bay area. I started looking for a place and decided to contact the owners of a property I knew about growing up. I was surprised that they were interested in selling, so I made an offer that was really low and they said yes. I closed on the property in January. It is an old Arco gas station originally built in 1955 and added on to in 1975.

Before anyone jumps on me yes I have perform due diligence inspections. I know about the underground tanks (no product) and lead paint used in the original construction. Its about 1700 sqft total. The property is rural commercial so it has a mobile home on it right now, but I may build a house. I need to replace some rotten wood on the lower roofs and get the whole thing re roofed. I will be doing that in July and I will most likely put on new siding (metal or wood). It still has one inground single post lift, but I will remove that and install new lifts.

kimg0477-jpg.1714883565.jpg

View attachment KIMG0477.jpg

kimg0476-jpg.1714883566.jpg

View attachment KIMG0476.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Life is too short to not be happy. I think its great you made the move!!

Its been a long time since I heard "ARCO". I started working in an ARCO station when I was 15 years old pumping gas and helping the owner work on cars.

Congrats to you. I would like to find an old shop or a old station and dabble with repairing and selling older cars. I have a customer that just bought a old Dodge dealer on Main Street in a small town nearby. The shop is set up, the building is insulated, and it is full of equipment. Damn him! LOL

ARCO Graphite? I am only 33 years old, fill me in the with the details.
Graphite based lubricant sorta gray/black looking. Turned into a bunch of deposits in the engine. Leaked out of everywhere, pretty much a total fail. I once put it in a '73 350 Impala...rpm's went up 300 but I wasn't impressed.

My Dad had a Sinclair station back in 68 and 69 then ARCO bought Sinclair out.
I hated to see the big green dinosaur leave.
Defiantly a flashback looking at your pictures. Same fanbelt racks circling the shop
and single post hoist. He built some fast cars in that old station. Chevy's Fords and Plymouths.
He wasn't as picky about what he raced as I am. Would go back to those days in a second.

I think it's awesome. Most people don't get to shoot for their dreams. Wish you all the best.

I think you should make it look like a miniature Mr. Norms! Lots of potential there!

Very Cool - Very happy for you. Nothing quite like the adventure of chasing a dream. Congrats and keep us updated!

Excellent!! That would be an excellent shop, how many cruise -ins are you going to have ? Lawrence

that is wicked cool, happy for U and good luck! I ran arco graphite oil in my 1974 360HP in 1978,9 and wailed on it all the time with no problems. fastest car in high school, the principal told the police every day when I leave I do a burnout, cuz 1 day when I was leaving I see a cop and leave easy, he pulls me over and gives me a ticket for unsafe starting and says it was for yesterday. tried to fight in court, lost cuz the loophole gives the cops 48 hours to give a ticket (for like when U leave in a hurry in an ambulance)

wisdom start by fixing the roof. no use in fixing anything below just for it to get wet. use roll off dumpster to clean it out asap. This keeps riffraff out (2 and 4 legged). that thing is awesome and will be tons of fun.

Thanks for all the support. It will be a lot of work to repair the building and get it set up the way I have planned. I plan on opening a side business providing metal fabrication. Preferably toward automotive fabrication, but I have worked in all the industries, so I will provide commercial and aerospace fabrication. I have a bead roller, air/hydraulic tube bender, all types of welders, saws, drill press, and a large assortment of others tools/equipment. One of main the focuses of my services will be the CNC plasma table I am building. I may purchase a mill and lathe. It's all a side job currently so I will keep it that way when I move, because my main job pays well. I may also open half the building as a gym as I think it would create a revenue stream to finance my hobbies.

I may have to find a can of this graphite oil for my display shelf.

Kyle

img_2603-1-jpg.1714883816

View attachment IMG_2603[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back