Budget D100 360 Suggestions

-
that 360 will run great in that truck , just mild warm it up , like the cop car motor . don't forget that you must use the 360 counter weight on your conv , yes on the 600 to 650 carb , afb or avs from a 340 works great and an intake . just went 383 on mine , been working out the extra heat issues . remember more horse power more heat more radiator . just did a 5 hundred dollar core and new fan n clutch for it and built a shroud . napa motorhome hd fan clutch .

DSC06665.JPG

DSC07848.JPG

DSC07786.JPG

A valve job, rings, bearings oil pump and gasket kit will cost more than a good running used magnum and will not make nearly as much power.

If you have a used 360 LA... Just clone the 78 E58 360 cop car/Lil Red Express pickup engine combo (true dual exhaust,headers would be nice..A good dual plane manifold( Eddy Performer,stock cast iron four barrel-340 manifold would rock here.. stock converter? Recommend Sum K6900 cam and lifter kit. Used several of this grind style in smog legal 5.0 mustang builds,and is a safe cam choice..I would recommend a stock style 340 spring,for a new replacement..318willrun,has it listed in his low buck thread..
Yea..another low buck armchair engine builder post.. If you didn't have an LA core,I would 5.2/5.9 Magnum it.....

A valve job, rings, bearings oil pump and gasket kit will cost more than a good running used magnum and will not make nearly as much power.
Sure wish I lived near you! Love that price comparo. Not happening here!

That MP cam is a BIG jump from the stock 340 cam from a duration at .050 standpoint. Stock 340 cam around 208/214 at .050.

That MP cam is a BIG jump from the stock 340 cam from a duration at .050 standpoint. Stock 340 cam around 208/214 at .050.
I had that cam in a 360 with 3.23 gear and loved it. Idled so smooth it sounded stock. I thought it responded like the character of a stock 340 4-speed cam regardless of what specs are listed.

Exactly! At the stock duration, it is a testament to the rest of the package. It is a tiny cam. Moving up to that "HP replacement cam" as MP put it so many times is a really nice awaking.

Big jump? Maybe. But a get you going cam, definitely!

Sure wish I lived near you! Love that price comparo. Not happening here!
Do you pay less for machine work or more for magnums?I though magnums were cheap on East Coast, I have jeep customers that pick up whole trucks all the time in NY and NJ for $500-$800.

I just paid $185 for guide hone, comp valve job and assy on new heads,if you throw in $150 for good valves, $55 springs for cam, $100 for bearings, $60 rings and $50 oil pump and you have $600 which is more than a good running magnum, out here you get a free trans and truck with it. Magnum has advantage of roller cam,better heads and gaskets, a regrind is cheap and can reuse lifters, didnt count gaskets or timing set because they both need it. I have a yard full of LA's and will buy a magnum before I build an LA anymore, machine shop plus parts is nuts and I get discounts....just my $.02:D

Holy chit that's some expensive prices for some of the machine work! But it is all realitive to not only where you live but who does the work. So, moot I guess.
I have not gone looking for Magnums. There in running trucks that cost triple on the cheap end of your listed high end. 2 wheel drives difficult to find. Also do realize that I live in an island and getting off requires a trip through NYC at a high cost. Starting at $15 a bridge. (Several bridges required. Or tunnels.)
This cost basically moots any cost savings between two way tolls and traffic driving. Which will drive you over the edge to NEVER do that again to save a buck!!!!

I currently have a Magnum ('00) in my Magnum ('79)

I'm not knockin what you suggest but I do scoff at the cost you think it will cost because of what you pay and think everyone else does or should or can.

The only draw back of the Magnum is intake selection and cam expense.
A refrains isn't always do able for all builds and purchasing EQ (or whatever) heads with a drilled LA pattern isn't always the answer. But it does seem to be for you.

Do note that I would rather build a Magnum block than a LA.

I tried talking him into a magnum, but as I said before, I found the 360 LA for practically free. Just traded a some beer I was able to get from a buddy of mine. I realize it may end up nickle and diming him for more than the cost of a used running magnum 5.9, but we won't know that for sure until he starts evaluating everything for machine work. Plus, he wanted something to tinker on and not something to just clean up and drop in the truck. This 360 I picked up suits his needs perfectly. Is it ideal? Probably not, but for him and what he wants out of it, it'll work well enough to put a smile on his face.

Between building the two blocks, if such was the case, if one was worried about cost, I'd say your in the wrong hobby.

Stick with the stock intake but if you decide to change it stay far away from the SP2P. Any dual plane will work fine but Offenhauser makes one called a Dual Port and they work really well for heavy vehicles. Stay with the 1850 Holley. M/P makes a small 430 lift cam that made gobs of torque with the low compression Pistons you have. A 68 340 manual trans cam is still made by sealed power and a host of other folks is a good choice too. Use the electronic ignition. You can find small truck headers cheap at a swap meet, I haven't payed over $50 in 20 years for a set. Get a B&M flex plate and use your stock converter. It should run pretty well. Whatever you do don't go wild on the cam or carb, that's what kills off your bottom end on a budget build like this. If you switch to a magnum it will just cost more for little gain because when you go to freshen it up you'll find the heads are cracked and all the parts cost twice as much. I've actually got a couple of good small cams laying around that I'll probably never use( or at least I haven't used them in the last 20 years) I'll sell you one for a song if your interested.stock rockers and springs will probably be fine but I might even have some springs if I look around.

Last edited:
Do you pay less for machine work or more for magnums?I though magnums were cheap on East Coast, I have jeep customers that pick up whole trucks all the time in NY and NJ for $500-$800.
There is the east coast and then there is the northeast coast... 2 entirely different worlds for car parts prices. And you know those NNJ/NYC guys... bullshit like (Eye can bu-eye it cheaper dan youse guys!) is a staple of conversation LOL! Now done here in western VA, $400-$500 for a running Magnum, ready to drop in, IS everyday pricing. Machine work is cheap too..... gearhead Nirvanna.

Excuse me! I'm a bullshiter?

Who the **** are you to judge and based on what now you judge?

Man, my comment had zero to do with you or your post. I was telling Magnummopar to not believe every price he hears.... and trying to be funny about it. I am just ragging on ya guys up there... it was a joke....and 100% absolutely NOT directed at you.

And you know those NNJ/NYC guys... bullshit like (Eye can bu-eye it cheaper dan youse guys!) is a staple of conversation LOL
Oh yes, this is funny. Gotcha ya number bub! Gotcha ya number.

Yes yes yes, it's always good to make derogatory jokes.

I wonder how many "Southern" jokes I can come up with?

Nothing like the continual push of stereotypical ideas and thoughts.

Last edited:
Well, we've been gathering some parts. So far, besides the 360, we've got the proper b&m flex plate in route as well as a performer RPM intake, a 80457S Holley 600 vac sec carb, new timing set, orange box and electronic distributor. All he needs now is a decent cam and lifters and the appropriate valve springs.

Pretty sure this combo will outperform the stock tired 318 2bbl by a long shot. Thanks again for the input guys.

While I dont want to interrupt you guys reenacting West Side Story, let me clarify I have another business that sells Wrangler magnum conversions and since 98, I have had lots of guys doing this install in NY, NJ, MD, RI and Maine. Recently, a customer in Upstate NY bought a 98 Ram for $800, another in NJ got a Dakota for $1000 and a guy in RI picked up a 97 Ram for $700 then got a Durango for $900. Didnt mention crossing any toll bridges but if you live on an island I guess thats par for the course.
GOOD machine work is never cheap, at least not on the West Coast but $185 for honing guides and cutting seats isnt out of line from what I have seen. There are guys in town that would do it for $125 vut you get car lot quality.
The only draw back of the Magnum is intake selection and cam expense.
A refrains isn't always do able for all builds and purchasing EQ (or whatever) heads with a drilled LA pattern isn't always the answer. But it does seem to be for you.
You can get a Magnum x wind for $200 and Magnum AG for $25 more than LA. A regrind cam is less than LA if you consider you can reuse the roller lifters. We do like EQ heads and if you consider the price of building a set of LA heads its probably cheaper to get EQ's. I feel the draw backs of magnum are far outweighed by the advantages. You are free to build whatever you like and the discussion was OP on West Coast looking at inexpensive small block.

If you switch to a magnum it will just cost more for little gain because when you go to freshen it up you'll find the heads are cracked and all the parts cost twice as much.
Not all heads are cracked, and how is it all the parts cost 2x if many interchange? I disagree with you on the cost as its much cheaper to get 400 HP from a magnum than an LA. I am beginning to understand why so many here are reluctant to use a magnum....a Chevy guy would never embrace a mid 70's 350 over an LS.
OK, you guys can now pick up your switchblades and continue with your rumble.

I tried talking him into a magnum, but as I said before, I found the 360 LA for practically free. Just traded a some beer I was able to get from a buddy of mine. I realize it may end up nickle and diming him for more than the cost of a used running magnum 5.9, but we won't know that for sure until he starts evaluating everything for machine work. Plus, he wanted something to tinker on and not something to just clean up and drop in the truck. This 360 I picked up suits his needs perfectly. Is it ideal? Probably not, but for him and what he wants out of it, it'll work well enough to put a smile on his face.
It will certainly be more fun than a 318 2 bbl and keep him occupied. Problem solved!

Last edited:
I have had lots of guys doing this install in NY, NJ, MD, RI and Maine. Recently, a customer in Upstate NY bought a 98 Ram for $800, another in NJ got a Dakota for $1000 and a guy in RI picked up a 97 Ram for $700 then got a Durango for $900.

You can get a Magnum x wind for $200 and Magnum AG for $25 more than LA. A regrind cam is less than LA if you consider you can reuse the roller lifters. We do like EQ heads and if you consider the price of building a set of LA heads its probably cheaper to get EQ's. I feel the draw backs of magnum are far outweighed by the advantages. You are free to build whatever you like and the discussion was OP on West Coast looking at inexpensive small block.

a Chevy guy would never embrace a mid 70's 350 over an LS..

Nice list of dream prices. Wish that was reality for here.

Those intakes meet most needs, not all.

Regrinding cams can be limiting for very high performance/race settings.

I guess I know some weird Chevy guys then.Or maybe just ones that are broke in the wallet.

-
Back