Compression PSI too high?

-

Valiantdogs

bark, bite n buzzzzz
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, 190-200 dry, 200-210 wet, opinions, will I have head gasket problems?

What do you think happens when all that compressed air and fuel explodes? There's a LOT more pressure than that, LOL

Now now, we all know that mix BURNS, not explodes just like gunpowder.
I guess we should ask what rate of burn crosses over into explosion turf :). You will be fine
as long as the fuel you use doesn't allow detonation or pre-ignition to occur,that is all.If it
does, your headgasket and pistons/rod brgs. will leave you eventually.

higher compression will raise your NOx levels, but who gives a **** its a slant! I think your good.,

Ok, the gas mixture burns real fast...

I've been running 200psi for about 10 years now with no problems on my 360, using 93 octain and the better felpro gaskets.

some of the 305 gm truck engines in 85.-87 had 210 psi but required high test fuel with a knock sensor and computer under the seat with a 750 q-jet carb (est), so it can be done with timing control. mixing vacuum advance and springs will take some time but that's where the fun is.

It always runs great, and doesn't ping or knock (I run ethanol free premium). I'm just tryna figure how coolant's getting in the pan.. ha, fun :D

It always runs great, and doesn't ping or knock (I run ethanol free premium). I'm just tryna figure how coolant's getting in the pan.. ha, fun :D

Wait,was that wet compression check taken intentionally or????? Sorry, didn't
mean to make light of the fact that you have a serious problem.Head gasket or cracked head/
block,really that's it, hope it's just a gasket!! Keep with the updates :coffee2:
P.S. detonation isn't always audible unfortunately,it can manifest as a growl/
rumble w/o any dramatic noises that stick out,word to the wise.

Great looking car and that slant sounds tough. It must be ZZ1 paint code. Hope there's no major problems with the coolant issue.

some of the 305 gm truck engines in 85.-87 had 210 psi but required high test fuel with a knock sensor and computer under the seat with a 750 q-jet carb (est), so it can be done with timing control. mixing vacuum advance and springs will take some time but that's where the fun is.

I bought a 13,000 mile 426 hemi out of a rolled/junked 1968 road runner , it had from the factory 200-205 # on all cylinders , with a .020 steel shim head gasket ------just sayin

Both my cars crank out 200psi when warm with no detonation, but both have aluminum heads.

A buddy had a pinhole leak in his timing cover one time. It was leaking coolant into the motor. It took a while to find that. There's alway Barr's Leak Stop or black pepper as a bandaid.

You're at the line. If I remember right... 12.1 was an issue for some people racing the slant , head gasket were changed somewhat frequently.
225 psi iirr is about where they just cant hang at all in competition use.

I notice a lot of people are comparing V8s to a slant six in regards with compression induced head gasket issues, not the same..

You're at the line. If I remember right... 12.1 was an issue for some people racing the slant , head gasket were changed somewhat frequently.
225 psi iirr is about where they just cant hang at all in competition use.

I notice a lot of people are comparing V8s to a slant six in regards with compression induced head gasket issues, not the same..

bfd !

The member hasn't been seen since June 24 2017, what do you think?????
I think there are reasons the member hasn't posted in a while, I get on w/o logging in often. I have been extremely busy the last couple of years as well, for some unfortunate personal reasons as well as life in general. I bumped it to the top, & if We get a response great, if not so F'n what? I generally have better things to do than to interject sarcastic Prickness into a thread I wasn't part of, nor had anything useful to contribute...even in a smartass manner(which I don't have a problem with)..........

-
Back