Crime and cost of living in your area.

-
I suggest you suck it up ButterCup. You asked about opinions of your situation. Thats what you get. Go back and re read my opinions. Out of here Bubba.
I actually didn’t ask for opinions buttercup. I asked for facts. Cost of living and crime rate. I didn’t ask about the weather. That’s all you guy. That’s you projecting all of that in my thread.

I am raising a young family. I have 2 boys, and a little girl on the way.

there are plenty of paces to move that are affordable with land and all if you don't have kids. for me the education system would be the biggest things with small children. I'd sacrifice what i want to give them the best education i could. you will pay to be in an area with good schools though.,,. when my now 13 year old was young (before kindergarten) we looked to maybe move further south.. North Carolina area maybe.. we have a few friends that live down that way.. besides my friends not being able to show me on paper where i'd be saving all this money, yes property taxes were cheaper but you pay sales taz on clothes down there, not in nj, some areas we looked you had to pay for trash pick up, and there were a bunch of other things that added up to not very big savings, plus the wages would be lower because of the area. on top of that the school systems were too hit or miss for me. i'm sure there are decent schools down there in areas but you will also be paying more to live in those areas.. we ended up deciding to stay where we are in south jersey. we both make pretty good money, great schools in the area and in the grand scheme of things for jersey our taxes are not very high on our 2 acre property. 250k doesn't buy much in this area these days. my son just spens 200k on a weird floor plan 2 bedroom house. anything cheaper was tiny as hell or a basket case. with interest rates going up maybe the market will settle out some.. the daughter is now in 8th grade so in 5 or so years when she graduates high school maybe we will move. the wife makes good money and can work from almost anywhere, ill be able to get a part time job by then and hopefully have fun and travel.. we will see what happens when the time comes..

there are plenty of paces to move that are affordable with land and all if you don't have kids. for me the education system would be the biggest things with small children. I'd sacrifice what i want to give them the best education i could. you will pay to be in an area with good schools though.,,. when my now 13 year old was young (before kindergarten) we looked to maybe move further south.. North Carolina area maybe.. we have a few friends that live down that way.. besides my friends not being able to show me on paper where i'd be saving all this money, yes property taxes were cheaper but you pay sales taz on clothes down there, not in nj, some areas we looked you had to pay for trash pick up, and there were a bunch of other things that added up to not very big savings, plus the wages would be lower because of the area. on top of that the school systems were too hit or miss for me. i'm sure there are decent schools down there in areas but you will also be paying more to live in those areas.. we ended up deciding to stay where we are in south jersey. we both make pretty good money, great schools in the area and in the grand scheme of things for jersey our taxes are not very high on our 2 acre property. the daughter is now in 8th grade so in 5 or so years when she graduates high school maybe we will move. the wife makes good money and can work from almost anywhere, ill be able to get a part time job by then and hopefully have fun and travel.. we will see what happens when the time comes..
That’s what made me pick WA actually, the schools and child resources are amazing here. That and the “perfect weather” apparently.

I’m trying to stay local, we really love everything but the people here. Wherever we go I want to stay until the kids are out of school.

Jared

I did not read threw all the pages and usually do not reply to most threads but you seem sincere with you question. Only two real options in my opinion, Texas or Florida. Come on down. :thumbsup:

I’m over here in Springfield Oregon it’s pretty nice. Cost of living pretty similar to where you are. I was fortunate to buy a small house here 7 years ago before everything got to put of reach.

I moved to west, TN in 2001 from upstate NY. We're about 35 miles from the Mississippi river, east of Memphis. Memphis is NOT the place to live but Fayette and Tipton county are very affordable.
We're trying to downsize and have the house on the market at 540k. House is a 3200sf custom that I built. However, there's lots of stuff in the less than 2000 sf range that's very affordable. Gas is fairly cheap as is food. No state income tax, low taxes. Several colleges, great medical.
Winters are mild. Summers are hot and humid. Tons of entertainment and dining venues in the area. East TN is also beautiful with the mountains but is very touristy.
The point of this thread is to help me decide where to move my family. I have no political intentions, and would like to keep politics out of this thread. I understand that is hard for some to do, especially when crime rate is discussed. I would love to hear everyone’s input on this one as I am pretty open.

I would also like to mention that I know that bad things can happen anywhere. I know that small town doesn’t automatically mean safe. I know things everywhere are more expensive now.

Here we go, I am 34 and I am raising a young family. I have 2 boys, and a little girl on the way. I recently moved from Las Vegas NV to Lacey WA in efforts to move my family somewhere safer and family friendly.

It’s beautiful here. I love the weather, and the scenery is awesome. Although Lacey was a great little town when I was younger, it has devolved in recent years.

The average cost of a house in the county I live in is $500,000. I am paying $1500 a month for a somewhat dingy 2 bed room apartment. I do have a secured garage, but it is shared with other tenants. Small yard, and we can hear our neighbors through our shared walls. Not the perfect situation, and very expensive for what it is.

The real issue is what I refer to as The Walking Dead. My neighborhood and the surrounding areas are full of homeless encampments. Drugged out losers wandering around, causing trouble, setting fires and worst of all wandering into my fenced yard where my children play. Right up the street are two giant half way houses. This wasn’t disclosed to me before signing the lease.

Is this just the way of the world now? My wife is a stay at home mom, and I work. I can barely make ends meet. I can’t save, and If I don’t sell parts, I can’t afford this hobby.

How the heck can I afford a half million dollar home if I can’t save for the down payment? I am a non-CDL truck driver. I make a decent hourly wage, but it’s not enough.

I want to move my family somewhere safe, where home ownership is a possibility. I also need to be able to find work, but I’ve noticed that’s pretty easy these days.

Where do you live? What is the average price of a house in your area? How is the crime?

View attachment 1716012754

I moved to west, TN in 2001 from upstate NY. We're about 35 miles from the Mississippi river, east of Memphis. Memphis is NOT the place to live but Fayette and Tipton county are very affordable.
We're trying to downsize and have the house on the market at 540k. House is a 3200sf custom that I built. However, there's lots of stuff in the less than 2000 sf range that's very affordable. Gas is fairly cheap as is food. No state income tax, low taxes. Several colleges, great medical.
Winters are mild. Summers are hot and humid. Tons of entertainment and dining venues in the area. East TN is also beautiful with the mountains but is very touristy. There's tons of jobs local. Warehouse, drivers, medical and the local community college often offers free training for technical jobs that are available locally. Wages are pretty good. Crime is low away from the metropolitan areas.

I don't give a damn how "nice" and "crime free" the area is, if you live in a state with you-know-what for a gobt, you are PAYING for that AGENDA. Can you spell inslee?

I don't give a damn how "nice" and "crime free" the area is, if you live in a state with you-know-what for a gobt, you are PAYING for that AGENDA. Can you spell inslee?
Better off paying for that agenda than anything you'd agree with. Another thread about to turn to sh/t because somebody cant help himself

Better off paying for that agenda than anything you'd agree with. Another thread about to turn to sh/t because somebody cant help himself
Anyone wanting to move needs to take that aspect into account.
Like it or not that factor can make or break a young family.
This isn't a time I would want to be young and raising children.

Anyone wanting to move needs to take that aspect into account.
Like it or not that factor can make or break a young family.
This isn't a time I would want to be young and raising children.
And the time you and I were young, raising families was so much better?

With how much I make, my realistic max is about $250,000. It’s hard to find places where $250k buys you a house AND land. That’s why I started the thread. Georgia looks great, I can find jobs, and property in my price range. But the south is hot and humid in the summer. I tried Florida and Texas, and it’s just not my thing. I’d rather have frozen winters, than hot summers.
"But the south is hot and humid......"

I'm certainly not arguing that, but the simple FACT is, there will be a "BUT" with every single location you look at, because there's not a "PERFECT" place.

And it’s never you that can’t help yourself. Like I said, politics matter. You don’t have to be a rocket surgeon to see which cities have been devastated and how it happens.

And it’s never you that can’t help yourself. Like I said, politics matter. You don’t have to be a rocket surgeon to see which cities have been devastated and how it happens.
He lives in the shithole Rumble left.
People are fleeing New York.

SE Florida. Been here for 20+ years and love it but is a tough sale for a young family unless you make really good money. Property cost, property taxes and sky rocketing home owners insurance will make Fl less desirable for many. I love the PNW also. I have family up there and enjoy visiting.
OP- Have you considered finding another rental in your area just to get out of what sounds like a really despairing situation/area to give yourself some breathing room to think about long term plans. Whatever you do, best of luck.

SE Michigan's suburbs around Detroit. Not Detroit, that place is a festering sewer. Everyone who could get out, got out a long time ago and moved to the suburbs. But outside of Detroit the living is good, the cost of living is very reasonable compared to the rest of the country. A 3 bedroom ranch house in a subdivision will cost you less than 150K. The farther out from Detroit you go, the more land space is available. 30 or 40 miles out from Detroit, a reasonable commute distance, you can pick up a house with 10 acres or more property. $500K will get you a F#*k!ng 4000 ft^2 mansion on significant acreage. Renting a 2000 ft^2 house will cost you between $1K to 2K/month (depending on location, cost decreases with proximity to Detroit).

Jobs are OK. A lot of automotive engineering firms. Factory work is available (again in the suburbs, not much in Detroit proper). A lot of trucking firms in Romulus near the airport, just west of Detroit. Schools are OK, better the farther away from Detroit you get.

The majority of Michigan outside of the SE corner is mostly rural, farms, & small towns. Lost of parks for recreation, state land for hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, and off-roading. A lot of regular joe's can afford a home near work and property to play on or a cottage on a lake up north.

In general the cost of living is about 1/2 of the rest of the country, especially compared to the cost of living on the west or east coast. Water is plentiful. Climate is generally mild. Tornado's are rare events. Earthquakes, flooding, severe storms, and wild fires never happen. But we do get snow in the winter.

BTW are you a big enough man to admit you were wrong yet in the thread that was deleted?????
I kind of doubt it.
You and a few a-clowns here are just as much the problem as anything.....Strange isn't it that the screwed up state you live in lets junkies camp anywhere they like in your state but my state that **** aint never and doesnt happen
Doesnt make me wonder

was it though? or did you just not hear about all the bad because that **** was kept more localized compared to today with the internet and social media.
He lives in a vacuum, consumed by his own ignorance....Taking into consideration populations there is more dope addicts , meth freaks, crime, unemployed, homeless, teen pregnancies, high school dropouts and illiteracy were some of these guys live than NJ NY combined

Last edited:
you could never make it in or survive here
Anywhere in this country would be better than living next to somebody like you
LOL My dad grew up in Philly, and my mom grew up in Trenton.
We lived just outside of Trenton until I was 15 in 1976.
Survival? 20 + years in the corps honed that skill.

-
Back