Damsel in distress

-
Missing oil is a no no even for a tough one like the slant six....look for large vented areas in the oil pan. I've tossed a rod or two on slants back in my racing days.....hopefully it's something minor.....nice looking little abody though...

I nearly suggested this. I would certainly pull the filter off and examine. If you can, "get under" beforehand and see if you determine if the filter is the source of the leak, because, obviously once you loosen it, the thing WILL leak LOL

Good point here. I would check that first. Still doesn't explain the bang, though, unless the bang was a result of running out of oil, which would not be good at all.

Pull the plugs and see if a piston hit one. Also it will be a lot easier to turn it over without plugs. If it turns over you can put some oil in it. If it is leaking spinning it may show you where.

Running a engine out of oil is very, very hard on ALL internals... YIKES!!! I would say it be much cheaper to buy a 225 in good running condition that has the unleaded head for todays fuels than it would be to work with the 170. You would gain torque/power, and I bet you could find a good running one for around 150-200. Drop in and go....

Along with of course oil and filter...

Took her on a outing and she was running like a champ until a loud bang in her engine and then she died and wouldn't start again... Popped hood and 1 spark cover was off and oil was gone (which I had just checked before

Needless to say poor Molly sits in my driveway and won't turn over.

Welcome Molly and her mom!

When you say won't turn over...do you mean the engine spins but won't start?
Or you turn the key and the starter does NOT spin the engine?

Sometimes when changing an oil filter the old gasket sticks to the housing. It's possible when you put the new filter on you may have ended up with 2 stacked gaskets. That would be a guaranteed leak.

By spark plug cover you mean spark plug wire and on the early /6 it indeed has a cover over the spark plug tube.

Hopefully Molly did not run out of oil while you were driving. That would be the worst case scenario. If the starter will not spin the engine, assuming good starter and battery, it may be possible that she has seized from lack of lubrication. #-o

Bill Dedman you need to make a road trip to help this lady out.

I am SHOCKED! Absolutely shocked that it took until post #14 before someone suggested you put in a V-8. This is the /6 forum after all.
Gotta go, lunch time is over. Have to mosey over to the big block section and tell someone to yank their 440 and put in a slanty.

When you said it wouldnt turn over, do you mean it spins on starter but wont fire or it is locked up and wont turn at all?

If it spins with starter, does it make ugly noises or banging noise?
Does oil light work when key is on and engine off?
Does light go off when it turns over?

I would not try to reman a /6, they can be found for almost free, at least on West Coast. I have one that was rebuilt w ceramic coated intake and exhaust with trans and nobody will give me $500 or even offer, two others I put on CL several months ago that are good runners for $200, no calls so they are not worth much. A rebuild would probably cost close to $2000.

Keep the /6, easier for you to learn how to wrench on than with a V8 plus the swap might prove to be too much for a beginning wrench. The key is to get her up and running again ASAP so she doesnt become yard art. Evan

Have you pulled the distributor cap and cranked the engine over to make sure that the rotor is spinning?

If the rotor stops spinning, the engine won't run at all....

If there's anyone in her area (Wichita KS by Zip Code) that could lend a hand/take a look/help troubleshoot, that would be a plus.

I am SHOCKED! Absolutely shocked that it took until post #14 before someone suggested you put in a V-8. This is the /6 forum after all.
Gotta go, lunch time is over. Have to mosey over to the big block section and tell someone to yank their 440 and put in a slanty.

in my defense, the post was still in the welcome wagon when I made the suggestion
I know must of you guys in the slant forum aren't ready for the power that comes with a V8 :D

Someone definitely needs to go help these ladies out before she resorts to pulling the engine prematurely. It is still possible that that's not necessary.

A couple good points have been brought up: first, the oil filter gasket; and second, pull the plugs to see if any got hit by a piston (I would start with the one that the wire got knocked off of). Then report back with the findings.

By any chance, is Molly named for Molly Malone?

I sent her a pm with my phone # I think she lives right here in Wichita Ks-- hopefully this will be an simple fix. Lawrence

Molly's a keeper.
I bet you are too.
Positive vibrations sent your way.
Help out, ya'll.
This is an emergency case.

[ame]https://youtu.be/uLaJkbkG5NI[/ame]

I think everyone has it covered. Remove the drain plug... see if there is ANY oil left (I think you'll have some). If it really is bone dry then I'd just go ahead and pull the pan. Likely the damage will be evident at that point.

You don't think the bang could have been something driven over? I've had things flip up into my engine compartment before and actually punch a hole in my oil filter.

The oil senders would leak dumping all the oil and never turn the light on, I've had it happen going down the hyway at 70, and trash the motor. Not uncommon hope that's not the case. Good luck

Wow! Molly must be getting greasy. Or is that Mom???
Awaiting the report!

ive popped the '' diaphragm'' on oil sender before backing out of driveway, it went with a bit of a bang! maybe give sender a real close inspection, it may have ruptured on top side of it

To make it easy, there's some go/no go quick checks you can do.
Pull the drain plug on the oil pan.
If no oil at all comes out, or what little there is has some big metal bits in it, the engine is probably shot. Feel inside the drain hole with your finger to see if there's any evidence of shrapnel on the bottom. (Be careful here, the metal bits may be very sharp!)
Pull the spark plugs and see if one of the pistons or other shrapnel has bent or damaged the electrodes, if yes, it's probably ruined internally.
If it will not turn over with the spark plugs out using the starter, try manually turning it over by hand by grasping the fan belt on both sides or using a big screwdriver on the ring gear from underneath the car.........if it won't go, you are looking at pulling the engine and replacing it.
That is all only if you have determined that there is no holes in the block or oil pan.
In that case, the engine is toast and you need to find another one to replace as a whole unit.
If you do find that it is blown up internally, pull the engine and do an autopsy on it and let us know what happened.........

-
Back