David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even when I had the strictest of budgets I still built the most cubes possible. I full ported 318 heads (because I had them and they were rebuilt), and stuck them on top of a 360 and it was ran very respectable. BUT it would have made 50 more hp with the same work to a set of 360 heads. Bad money spent is bad money spent period and for me time is money. I would be happy to build a 318 but it would at least get a set of speed masters even if it was going in a truck and it would flat out out pull/perform any set of 318 heads that could be built for same money- with a ton less time involved.

Do NOT come in here and talk common sense. That is STRICTLY VERBOTEN when it comes to this craptastic debacle.

You just can’t do that. It hurts too many feelings.

You are banned for 72 hours.

Take your punishment in shame and go…

LOL. Damn I’m funny…

Sorry but David's a somebody and you're a nobody that inhabits a little forum pretending to be the "Authoritative" voice on the hobby.

What's it like to see other people live their lives the way they want? David doesn't give a **** what you or anyone on this forum thinks thank god.

I don’t give a **** what he does. It’s HIS reputation that’s getting murdered.

And it’s not just me. Evidently he is getting lit up in his comments. It’s so bad he had to make a video to clean that **** up.

Its too bad you defend garbage like this because your life is such a cesspool of failure you have to live vicariously through some one else’s bad dreams.

Guess what so did I but you cant use them because the forum gods dictate you can't.

Sorry but that’s a lie. DV and AW laid out the rules and 10 minutes in that back tracked because even they knew they can‘t polish this turd.

UT, DV and AW made the rules. And they lived with them for 10 minutes.

Weak **** right there.

And it’s not just me. Evidently he is getting lit up in his comments. It’s so bad he had to make a video to clean that **** up.

Its too bad you defend garbage like this because your life is such a cesspool of failure you have to live vicariously through some one else’s bad dreams.
Aww you hurt my feelings......... :rofl:

Guess what so did I but you cant use them because the forum gods dictate you can't.
No, I wont use them because the only way it makes sense is if a guy has the ability to port heads and wants to experiment (which is one reason I did it) and/or has the stuff laying around for free (the other reason I did it). The problem that I have is this leads allot of guys with little to no experience to think they can build some magic 318 with all powerful 302 heads with a harbor freight grinder and a few hundred bucks. The reality is the dude next to them with a wrecking yard 5.9 blows their doors off for half the money and effort. Its not an efficient exercise in how to make power period.

Junk builds usually don’t make more power with better heads so I’m not surprised your junk underachieved.

In fact I expect it.

Thanks for that. First its "any bigger head will make more power" then its a "but a junk build won't" when it doesn't.

No, I wont use them because
I don't care what you use.

Guess you didn't do them right lol
Obviously........The engine knows without a doubt that the smaller head that flows the same as the bigger head is on it so it decides to run slower.......In protest because its smaller.

:rofl:

Thanks for that. First its "any bigger head will make more power" then its a "but a junk build won't" when it doesn't.

I don't care what you use.

Obviously........The engine knows without a doubt that the smaller head that flows the same as the bigger head is on it so it decides to run slower.......In protest because its smaller.

:rofl:

You have zero concept of cylinder head design, preparation and function if you really think flow is all that matters.

Carry on in your foolish ignorance.

You have zero concept of cylinder head design, preparation and function if you really think flow is all that matters.

Carry on in your foolish ignorance.
Tell that to Tony Mamo @ Mamo Motorsports formerly from AFR Cylinder Heads who designs race heads with swirl.......You know the thingy that those shitty 302's do. Maybe go watch that Darren Morgan vid again where he talks about WHAT THE FUEL IS DOING.

New Product Launch....Mamo Motorsports 235 cc - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

The 235's are naturally aimed at larger displacement (a perfect choice for a street/strip 416 build), but this head would also be right at home in an aggressive 6.0 liter build if the focus was on max power.

Yeah You know more than he does........Only a clown would want an open chamber head..........The world has moved on from shitty large open chamber head designs maybe you should too.

Yeah who wants a small efficient port when you can have BIG ports that cause fuel separation. **** even the Ford guys fill in their 4V's..........

Tell that to Tony Mamo @ Mamo Motorsports formerly from AFR Cylinder Heads who designs race heads with swirl.......You know the thingy that those shitty 302's do. Maybe go watch that Darren Morgan vid again where he talks about WHAT THE FUEL IS DOING.

New Product Launch....Mamo Motorsports 235 cc - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Yeah You know more than he does........Only a clown would want an open chamber head..........The world has moved on from shitty large open chamber head designs maybe you should too.

Yeah who wants a small efficient port when you can have BIG ports that cause fuel separation. **** even the Ford guys fill in their 4V's..........

Once again you go off the deep end and make **** up.

You ASSume the small head is correct and the LARGE ahead isn’t.

The FACT is we are discussing the small block Chrysler. And you can’t get too big of a port on these engines. You can get bad ports, big and small.

As for the rest of the **** you posted who cares? I’ve seen and read what Darin Morgan says and like you do, you take his words and twist them.

Don’t make your failures someone else’s failures.

The FACT is we are discussing the small block Chrysler.

Here's a head that's too small according to you.

byronwheelstand.jpg

Smart people can make power with **** you say can't. I've got more examples of "Under headed" combos that make power with shitty heads.

Maybe he didn't get the memo like Vizard did.

Here's a head that's too small according to you.

View attachment 1716024269

Smart people can make power with **** you say can't. I've got more examples of "Under headed" combos that make power with shitty heads.

Maybe he didn't get the memo like Vizard did.

Oh boy…a big wheelie. WHAF about a big wheelie? Did YOU do the heads? Of course not. Your junk doesn’t run.

And how do YOU know it wouldn’t run quicker with a BETTER head? You don’t.

All you know is you love to claim garbage is fast.

Post a picture of YOUR car with YOUR heads and tell us how quick and fast it went.

Or better yet, just clam up.

Holy F@ck Batman it would seem that everyone missed the point on this build lol
Agree 100%
And his Sunday night live show is just him and his wife laughing hysterically and his dog's freaking out in the background .
His live stuff really bores me.
Its an exercise. I think its a great project even if Tony is involved . The porting vids help me visualize what goes into a port job . And he says outright there are better/quicker ways to accomplish more HP. If we were all about quicker/cheaper ways to go fast we would all be running Turbo LS engines.
If you have a open mind you can learn stuff that many people may miss. If you think they are an Idiot or dumb.,,..,, You have closed your mind like a Vault Door. And that is Ok. But there is plenty to learn, on this thread as well as the project. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason...........just saying.
And before someone gets but hurt because they thing this post is point at them.........This post is for ALL OF US! Me included!

Who is “bashing” 318’s?

For those of us who do this stuff for a living it’s a big deal when someone is spending stupid money.

Its not stupid money for the 318. It’s stupid money to spend one red cent on those heads.

Its stupid money to spend one red cent on factory connecting rods with 3/8 bolts and nuts when you could go out and buy a set of 4340 H beam rods with 7/16 cap screws. And have LESS money spent when you are done. And have a FAR better connecting rod.

It’s stupid money using a 2 barrel. You can be frugal and find a decent manifold right here on FABO or at the many swap meets all over the country.

That’s what some of us are bitching about.

A 318 HP 318 is really basic. It’s not complicated.
There are many reasons why the LA 318 is inadequate as a performance engine. Too many here want to argue because they have never seen 340 innards in their life. I find that apalling and ignorant that they want to argue the point about 318s. I've had both apart and the parts between both engines are night and day 318 is not a 340 and cannot be made into one. Not on the cheap and Id go as far yo say its impossible because the blocks aren't the same even though there are internet misinformers out there who say they are the same... the 3`8 LA heads are junk as a performance application wether they are ported or not a bunch of morons is waht the 318 side is a bunch of farmers who think they know better than the Chrysler engineers who developed the engine. Their hero is a high school dropout story teller...making up yarnns about 318 performance. I've said it before and will say it again everything that can be done to the LA 318 has been done already there is no new discovery to be had, do the research figure it out and follow an already established recipe. id start with a magnum if I was truly doing a budget performance build not a 72 LA 318 with a 2 barrel its just plain nonsense concocted by Uncle Tony... sometimes I think the man is on dope honestly because of the bullshit lies and claims he comes up with. lastly none of it is cheap if you are racing you are spending money thats how it works...always has been that way always will. The low budget guy is never competitive, not in a world based on reality.

They could have used a 360 head with a 1.88 valve and not spent all that time turd buffing.

Its crazy to tell everyone you are on a budget and you want to make power and then use heads like that and then port them.

Thats cRaZy
Kinda like buying and building a 318 into a performance engine instead of a 360! :realcrazy: :lol:

This Vizard Build is gong the way it is for one reason ...Uncle Tony's claims in regard to that 72 LA 318 2 barrel do not hold water.

Uncle Tony just released a video glorifying failure. this is what his viewers believe from the "Soothsayer of shame" and "the Guru of failure" i would like to take this time to remind everyone of Lunar outlaws 318 build. that was an Uncle tony fail classic. Look up lunars infamous 318 giveaway.. that engine could be used as a smoke machine for Pink Floyds next tour...wise up folks Uncle Tony is a bullshit artist, the only thing remotely positive he has done for the hobby is sell parts.

Welp... I HAVE a couple of stone stock 318s and I HAVE a couple of sets of 302s. That I don't have to go out and spend anything to acquire. I'm putting them together for that reason. And it's MY TIME spent to make them the best I can... I'm not at all trying to defend DV, or UT, I haven't even seen any of what you speak of... We don't have an Autobahn here, and I've never taken a car down a 1/4 mile, I'm building a couple of cars for ME, with what I have, the one that isn't totally blown apart in pieces runs pretty decent as a weekend cruiser as is, I just hope that by adding the cam I HAVE, and the heads I HAVE ALREADY, will make it a better cruiser.
If not, I'm not out much. It ain't gonna be any worse than it is now when done. And I'll learn from it.
Everyone doesn't need 300 degrees duration cams or exotic heads or 9 sec 1/4 mile times to have a cool cruiser that is rarely seen these days.... A "nice car" or " cool car" isn't the same to everyone.
I simply want to tweak out what I have and make it the best I can make it be, with what I have .. without starting from scratch with some engine and/or some heads that I don't have.and don't have the money to acquire.
Otherwise I can't afford to do anything with them to make them better than they are at present.
Whether I want to spend it or you want to spend it for me, I don't have any extra money to spend but I love older Mopar cars and trucks so it"s do what I can with what I have or don't do anything at all....

On the 360 heads to a 318, all that's gonna do is make a bigger turd than you started with because they rarely "CC out" to advertised CR, and bigger chambers will..... Wait for this...... Make a low CR even lower! Which sure ain't any good for performance. Most 360s even that spec out in any 70s/80s auto repair manual at 8.2 are most likely not even 8 to 1 stock either...... With tolerance stack up and such.
I'll take my chances with 302s and a mild cam on a 318.....

302s will up compression and are a nice low buck bolt on but you still run into issues with the small ports if trying to get 300 plus Horsepower which is where this Vizard build is headed.
point is with 318s you always hit a wall with the port size of 318 heads. 308s have the 360 ports and same closed chamber . Folks can grind on 318 ports all they want they will never be the size of the 340/360 port so why not start with the real deal I think is the point...no need to an$wer I know why honestly anyone on a budget now in 2022 should find a magnum and build it...although i understand the heads, while an improvement over the LA 318 head crack its fairly common. Just my $.02 worth of drivel carry on...:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back