David Vizard, Uncle Tony's garage, Unity motorsport. Mission impossible Dodge 302 Head porting

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the original post: 360 cast head porting

factory small block head castings with some time in them work better than most people can imagine.
Small block in Demon with 587 heads and a .590 Racer Brown flat tappet cam. 1.260 60ft.--6.09 at 111 1/8th mile --9.68 at 136 1/4 mile--No NOS

_UTF-8_B_X01HXzAxMDkuSlBH_-2.jpg

The 308s is one number of head I've never had my hands on..... I've had and have worked on 302s. And I like what I see in the 302s on my shelf, vs the factory 163s on my car now.
Everything is relative

Welp... I HAVE a couple of stone stock 318s and I HAVE a couple of sets of 302s. That I don't have to go out and spend anything to acquire. I'm putting them together for that reason. And it's MY TIME spent to make them the best I can... I'm not at all trying to defend DV, or UT, I haven't even seen any of what you speak of... We don't have an Autobahn here, and I've never taken a car down a 1/4 mile, I'm building a couple of cars for ME, with what I have, the one that isn't totally blown apart in pieces runs pretty decent as a weekend cruiser as is, I just hope that by adding the cam I HAVE, and the heads I HAVE ALREADY, will make it a better cruiser.
If not, I'm not out much. It ain't gonna be any worse than it is now when done. And I'll learn from it.
Everyone doesn't need 300 degrees duration cams or exotic heads or 9 sec 1/4 mile times to have a cool cruiser that is rarely seen these days.... A "nice car" or " cool car" isn't the same to everyone.
I simply want to tweak out what I have and make it the best I can make it be, with what I have .. without starting from scratch with some engine and/or some heads that I don't have.and don't have the money to acquire.
Otherwise I can't afford to do anything with them to make them better than they are at present.
Whether I want to spend it or you want to spend it for me, I don't have any extra money to spend but I love older Mopar cars and trucks so it"s do what I can with what I have or don't do anything at all....

On the 360 heads to a 318, all that's gonna do is make a bigger turd than you started with because they rarely "CC out" to advertised CR, and bigger chambers will..... Wait for this...... Make a low CR even lower! Which sure ain't any good for performance. Most 360s even that spec out in any 70s/80s auto repair manual at 8.2 are most likely not even 8 to 1 stock either...... With tolerance stack up and such.
I'll take my chances with 302s and a mild cam on a 318.....
Your better off banging your head against a wall :) they can't accept people have different wants, needs, interest, goals etc..

Last edited:
Here's the original post: 360 cast head porting

factory small block head castings with some time in them work better than most people can imagine.
Small block in Demon with 587 heads and a .590 Racer Brown flat tappet cam. 1.260 60ft.--6.09 at 111 1/8th mile --9.68 at 136 1/4 mile--No NOS

View attachment 1716024409

Go read your first post on this.

You are at best disingenuous. You tried to palm that off as using a 318 casting and that’s a lie.

You can’t grind, shape, port or anything else short of welding (which would be stupid but at this point you like advocating for stupid so there’s always a chance you’d claim welding cast iron is a back yard shop technique) a 318 port to the as cast size of the 340 head.

And it ain’t even CLOSE.

Thanks for making my point. No one seriously tries to make ANY horsepower using 318 casts unless the RULES say you have to.

Check mate.

You are at best disingenuous. You tried to palm that off as using a 318 casting and that’s a lie.

You are seriously Retarded. Anyone with half a brain KNOWS what a 587 head is. DO I need to show you one as I have a set in the Garage?

You are making **** up in your head because that's all you are capable of. STFU and go back to RED Xing because that's your intellectual limit. GO GET HELP.

Last edited:
I liked his vids at first but now agree with you . They seem to get dumber with every episode !
Mindless rambling and venting .
I was done with Tony after the Lunar Outlaw 318 build and the embarrassment of it on on Nicks garage. Stupid teenage mistakes, leaky core plugs, rocker shafts on backwards.. wrong size bearings. Tony says it wasn't his fault but "Mr. Mopar" was napping on the job...

You are seriously Retarded. Anyone with half a brain KNOWS what a 587 head is. DO I need to show you one as I have a set in the Garage?

You are making **** up in your head because that's all you are capable of. STFU and go back to RED Xing because that's your intellectual limit. GO GET HELP.
user name checks out...

and this is where it all gets fuzzy.

generally speaking when you're building something to showcase you'll want a direct comparison to prove cause and effect.

but this build is super one off and has no apples to apples, or hell, even apples to oranges examples. it's like apples to zebras.

BFD you made 1hp per cube with all this machine work, and porting and special pistons. if you applied that same tactic and a bunch of money you wind up with Ricky Racer super stock motors that beat the brakes off this horseshittery.

if they had stayed with the original concept of: let's see if we can make 318hp with stock 2v parts that are widely available, reasonable machine work and a little back yard black magic this would be a really cool build.

now it's just weak tang grasping at clicks.
If I recall correctly, the story goes that, Tony said "it should make 275 horsepower" (stock 340 rated HP right?) David Vizard said "we can get it to make more" which brings us to where we are .Vizard is out to prove his claim which evolved from 275 to one horsepower per CI. Someone pointed out that if they overbore and stroke the engine ,now it isn't 318 any more so 1 HP per CI just went up right? also you are 100% on the clickbait.Thats all it is and folks taking it as a "stock 72 318 with an overbore and lightening up of stock parts" were seriously mislead, but that is Uncle Tony to a T from day 1 Tony has been full of it from the start .

Obviously........The engine knows without a doubt that the smaller head that flows the same as the bigger head is on it so it decides to run slower.......In protest because its smaller.

:rofl:
Again, obviously you didn't do it right, a smaller head will never "flow" what a bigger head will when ported CORRECTLY lol. I sure see allot of over achievers at the track with "big" heads and "small" cams, wonder what's up with that?. I mean if you want to take small heads and cam them to oblivion to try to do the same thing be my guest but don't try to convince me that's more efficient.

And another thread bites the dust…and another one gone …and another one gone ……

You do know the 587 casting has a 360 port right? Which is what I said.

Why start with a grind on a 318 head when you can use a 360 head and get a better port without grinding.

You are so disingenuous its sad. You posted a picture of a car that’s not yours (typical) and made the claim he was going fast on 318 heads. And he’s NOT.

You need the help as you are borderline mental. You’re not as smart as you think you are and at best you are a lying poser.

At this point, it would appear the “gratification quotient” is starting to diminish with regards to the 302 head porting.

I couldn’t get thru the whole thing, but at about 5-6mins in there is mention of lightweight Manley or Icon pistons.

That sure doesn’t sound like stock replacement parts to me.

At this point, it would appear the “gratification quotient” is starting to diminish with regards to the 302 head porting.

Someone needs to watch moparofficial's youtube videos on the 302's.

So what is the advantage of the 308 head with a closed chamber and swirl ports?

There isn’t one. Not one. If you have ported very long one of the first things you learn is flow isn’t everything.

The second thing you learn is ALL these engines are under valved and under headed.

The third thing you learn is shape and size are far more critical than flow.

To that end you learn swirl is what the OE’s stew over to get the cats lit. For performance and horsepower you do your best to reduce swirl because swirl kills power.

Then you learn that most of what is said in magazines, on the internet and on forums is 100% BULLSHIT.

There is not a single advantage to a 302 head. Ever.

There isn’t one. Not one. If you have ported very long one of the first things you learn is flow isn’t everything.

The second thing you learn is ALL these engines are under valved and under headed.

The third thing you learn is shape and size are far more critical than flow.

To that end you learn swirl is what the OE’s stew over to get the cats lit. For performance and horsepower you do your best to reduce swirl because swirl kills power.

Then you learn that most of what is said in magazines, on the internet and on forums is 100% BULLSHIT.

There is not a single advantage to a 302 head. Ever.
So the chamber shape or being a closed chamber doesn't help anything ?

I couldn’t get thru the whole thing, but at about 5-6mins in there is mention of lightweight Manley or Icon pistons.

That sure doesn’t sound like stock replacement parts to me.
the ol' razzle-dazzle !

we had to bore for new pistons, so we got these 60-thou positive deck domed pistons...

love it!

11.5:1 compression, E85, titanium keepers... you know, things of that nature.

Again, obviously you didn't do it right, a smaller head will never "flow" what a bigger head will when ported CORRECTLY lol.
Again I didn't need to "max port" the 587's. They both flow about the same and they had a bigger valve also . Guess you cant understand how a smaller port that flows the same CFM didn't kill performance like you hoped it would.........Like I said does the engine know the difference.

Again I didn't need to "max port" the 587's. They both flow about the same and they had a bigger valve also . Guess you cant understand how a smaller port that flows the same CFM didn't kill performance like you hoped it would.........Like I said does the engine know the difference.

MCA. Do you know what that is?

You do know the 587 casting has a 360 port right? Which is what I said.

Why start with a grind on a 318 head when you can use a 360 head and get a better port without grinding.

You are so disingenuous its sad. You posted a picture of a car that’s not yours (typical) and made the claim he was going fast on 318 heads. And he’s NOT.

You need the help as you are borderline mental. You’re not as smart as you think you are and at best you are a lying poser.
YAWN, more character assassination from the clown who cant address the topic. Stop your hurting my feelings....:rofl:

Those 587's are feeding 410 cubes......Yep we should put them on a 2 barrel 318 because it needs MORE FLOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back