Did I pay too much?

-

72DartSwingerV8

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am building my 318 to a good little street engine and possibly a DD and here's what I spent on the machining. Keep in mind that I'm 19 so I might think that this is a lot of money but hopefully I'm wrong.

I had the 318 heads bored to .88 and .60, milled, new valves, new seals, new springs, 5 angle valve job, freeze plugs, hot tanked, and cleaned.

The block was bored to .030, squared up the head mating surfaces, cam bearings installed, hung the pistons on the rods, hot tanked and cleaned.

I paid $700 for all of this stuff and was wondering whether or not that was a good price. I just want to get a feel for how much I should be paying for stuff like this in the future. Hopefully some of you will let me know!

Thanks

It's not really expensive, no. The question more to the point is "was the price worth the result?" Sounds like you got basic work done for a basic price. So as long as you're happy with it, it's fair to me.

You got a good deal. Now shut up rubbinit in. lol

I think a lot of it depends on where you are too. Prices in my specific city are pretty high compared to what I've heard from a lot of people, but if I look around me I can get them to come down some. Some cities are made of machine shops, others don't even know what one is, lol.

What you spent was perfectly appropriate for "results" of what you are building.

IMHO, that is just as impressive as some big dollar builds that people throw wild money after and have a inconsistent level of parts.

If you spent another $1000 on super trick machining, you might gain 10 hp on your 318 daily driver motor.

A friend of mine dropped his motor off, clean and in pieces. Immediately wrote a $2000 check and still doesnt have it finished yet. It was a 10.0 engine to start with. But thats race car stuff, I think you did well.:thumrigh:

I'm into my 340 for $1200,...that includes hot tanking, x-raying, polishing the crank, truing the bores, balancing the rods and crank and used TRW pistons,...haven't got to the heads yet,...You did allright kid....

I didn't mess with the crank seeing as there was no scratches or grooves so I'm just putting new bearings on it. I'm relieved to see that that is a good price for all the stuff. I'm tryin to make a really budget dd with a little bit of power and more gas mileage. Thanks for the comments.

I didn't mess with the crank seeing as there was no scratches or grooves so I'm just putting new bearings on it. I'm relieved to see that that is a good price for all the stuff. I'm tryin to make a really budget dd with a little bit of power and more gas mileage. Thanks for the comments.

You really ought to have the crank checked (measured) and at least polished. It shouldn't cost to much. Consider it cheap insurance.

You got out of there pretty cheap.

I am in the process of have a 360 built. The short block I am into it for $1,000 in just machining. It includes, tanking it, decking it, boring it .030" over with torque plates, line honing it, turning and externally balancing the crank, installing new rod, main and cam bearings, checking the factory rods, ARP bolts, freeze plugs. This price also includes him assembling the short block and getting a 1 year warranty.

I am into it a few hundred dollars more for KB107's, oil pump, double roller timing set, comp XE284H.

A good and honest machinist is a good friend to have.

You got out of there pretty cheap.

I am in the process of have a 360 built. The short block I am into it for $1,000 in just machining. It includes, tanking it, decking it, boring it .030" over with torque plates, line honing it, turning and externally balancing the crank, installing new rod, main and cam bearings, checking the factory rods, ARP bolts, freeze plugs. This price also includes him assembling the short block and getting a 1 year warranty.

I am into it a few hundred dollars more for KB107's, oil pump, double roller timing set, comp XE284H.

A good and honest machinist is a good friend to have.
This sounds exactly like my stroked 340(372)build,same pistons and cam.I had it dynoed and it made a whopping 452hp.:hello1:

-
Back