Difference between the RAM 2500 and 3500.

-

grassy

Reaction score
Apparently, this is a secret because a Chrysler dealership in Halifax cannot seem to answer.

When I am pricing the two, the 3500 is 5K cheaper even with the dual wheels.

Is it because the 2500 now has coil over spring in the rear..which btw, reduce both it's towing and hauling capacities..

thanks

I didn't think of that..:banghead:

I hate talking to car salespeople...

About 1/4 ton capacity.

Are you comparing apples to apples? a 3500 with a 5.7 or even 6.4 is gonna cost at least 6-9 grand less then a 2500 with a diesel and all the Aisin trans adds another 2 to 3 grand. Gas trucks are cheaper than diesels, and compare similar trim levels too.

The big difference is more cowboy types think they need a 2500, and that a 3500 is too much, so they crowd the market place, putting demand on 2500 sales. So, the dealers don't negotiate as much, because of Increased demand. I bought my 12' 3500 for less then the comparable 2500. I Told the salesman people are nuts! So I got more for less. I drove both, and the 3500 rode as good, even though the front axle load rating was around 5,000, instead of 2800. Better brakes, and safer all around for towing. Much better towing package, same mileage as the 2500. I did buy the single trac one ton long bed, as I didn't want dually wheels. So, I can hall a heavy car, or three, a couple 440's, and a slew of 727's in the back, and not miss a beat. I should have done it years ago. Again, some people are just stupid.:happy1:

Oldmopardude,

I thought it may have been the rear suspension..

Thanks.

Equivalent specs, 5K difference...when I priced it out , I wasn't buying a lot of the options.

Why no dual wheels ?

2wd or 4wd ?

Thanks

WOW! so 2500 has coil spring rear!!?????????????? that's hard to s wallow!!??? useless..... unless peterbuilt air bags in rear!?????
Yes, US "cowboy" types tend to buy trucks big enough to haul a gooseneck and brakes on truck enough to stop the rig if trailer brakes fail.
Generally heavier trucks have larger compoments that last longer. yes the cummins adds some weight to front, but then again it s a 1,000,000 mi motor. the mopar truck will be in scrap pile long before the cummins need a rebuild.
car salesmen? don't even get me started.

No dual wheels, the single trac wheels are larger and wider than dually wheels. The rear springs are also heavier than the 2500, but I have had seven 2500's from the 96' thru the 07', and this truck rides great.My Brother's luck with his was the Inner always blew, not the outer. He also quit buying Duallies. I sold every single track to people that said they wouldn't even have looked at a dually., if mine was a 3500 I was selling. Also, My wife wouldn't even attempt to drive the dually, another issue. I also use the Truck in town for Real estate business, and the dual wheels are a hassle. Mine Is a Cummins Diesel, with four wheel drive. 160 inch wheel base. List was 49,800. I walked out with it at 39,000 even. Woodhouse is the biggest truck dealer in the U.S., and they didn't have one 2500 set up the same way for sale. They had one short box, which is worthless to me. it was 37k plus. I was in a bit of a hurry, as I didn't want a 13' that had to use the additive. Chrysler knew there would be a run On the Cummins, so they were built thru November 12' as 2012 models. I always believe if you are towing 10k, have a capacity of 20k. So in my case, I could go to 20k if I had to. I wouldn't do that in the 2500. I like the 2500's, but I have no regrets getting the Increased capacity for basically the same price, or less. In my area, according to a good friend that has been selling for Ram for Dodge many years, the single trac will resell faster on the lot than a dually. In my case, it is my last truck. So as long as I can get in it, it stays. Just an old Mopar hoarder's humble opinion. Ram's do rule!:coffee2:

Not looking at any other brand. Have had great luck with my RAMs.

Wasn't sold on the duel wheels...my wife is the same. Thanks for the insite.

In Canada...I think I am looking at 50K plus for a 2wd.

Hopeful, no snow is in our future so I am not sure the benefit of 4wd. Didn't have it on my first RAM. We are looking at trailers in the 7500- 8500 range. I think I have been talked out of a fiver..

We will probably be buying in the mid states... are RAM dealers there allowed to sell to Canadians ? I know that the states that run along our border and not allowed to with the threat of losing their dealership..

I cannot purchase this year so we have time to explorer and plan,,,,.

Thanks
ian.

I will ask and let you know, My Friend fred has been there at the dealer 20+ years. if there is a way, I would be more than happy to help in any way I can. Another drawback I found to the Dually,is I CAN'T SEE MY CAR TRAILER!

i drive a 2500 every day. its a 92 cummins. rough riding rattle trap but it'll run for ever and haul anything you want especially with the granny 1st gear

single wheel one tons are nice if you drive more without the trailer or haul less than 15,000 lbs normally

also with dual wheels if one blows you can still roll down the road, a lot of semi guys don't like the super singles for that reason.

but with singles you get better MPG

Always refreshing to run into a salesman now and then that knows their stuff but
in more than 30 years in the car business my experience, by and large, has been
that salesmen are just one step up the evolutionary ladder from the ground squirrel.

Always refreshing to run into a salesman now and then that knows their stuff but
in more than 30 years in the car business my experience, by and large, has been
that salesmen are just one step up the evolutionary ladder from the ground squirrel.

You sir, are just being polite :)

To tell you my situation, depending on whether my wife is employed in April, 2015 we will be working on selling our house. We figure that will take 2 years. We than want to get an apartment and head out on the road for @ 8 months. We want to wonder down through the states but to really explore New Mexico, Arizona and visit a cousin in Texas...maybe wonder over to California. I also want to do the Alaskian highway.. trying to develop a bucket list of sights.,.

From then on we probably be in the states most winters until I no longer able to drive.. which isn't easy for me at the second.

I think we have tossed the idea of a 5th wheel and are liking a 28 to 34 foot TT..we will also be traveling with 2 beagles.

Hence the questions... I suspect my 1500 could pull but I want a decent buffer...and my truck is an '06. With that much driving, we want something newer..

I really appreciate your comments...my wife and I discuss them..

Thanks !

I found I cannot believe a word that either a rv salesman nor car salesman says.. you know the old joke...how can you tell if a "Insert type of salesman" is lying ? His lips move...

I would say the 1/2 ton has to go. My 2500's worked out for me because at the time those years a person could order a heavy duty spring pkg.(96',98', 01',03.) for about 275.00. By 04 I believe the 2500's got heavier springs as standard equipment. If you tow a fifth wheel, at least be sure to get the heavy duty pkg. By the way, why two years to sell your house?

....The difference is "1000" The 2500 is single axle in the rear the 3500 is a dually, right?

Reading, sounds like the dually is cheaper BUT much more heavy built truck!

I would say the 1/2 ton has to go. My 2500's worked out for me because at the time those years a person could order a heavy duty spring pkg.(96',98', 01',03.) for about 275.00. By 04 I believe the 2500's got heavier springs as standard equipment. If you tow a fifth wheel, at least be sure to get the heavy duty pkg. By the way, why two years to sell your house?

We want to work on it (update the bathrooms, etc) but I live in a economically depressed area in a economically depressed province. All the kids are leaving so it is becoming a "retirement" province...our house isn't for a retirement couple...It is a great place to live if you have a decent job. Beautiful landscape and if you drive around the province, many different types of landscapes. ..but it is dying...

The story is the same .... bad governments and large companies taking the cash ..then running... We have 15% sales tax and according to the economic council, we have the worse rate of return on our provincial taxes... Town, cities are begging the government to take the capped housing values off our houses so they can squeeze more money out of the home owners. Mind you, our house prices are very low compared to other parts of Canada..

We are promoting oour kids to leave NS because we don't see a future for them.... my mother passes this year (dad in '99) so there is nothing holding us to this province anymore...my wife is from another province..

Sorry for being a downer. This place was the best place for raising kids so we lucked out there. My daughter was unable to find any job this summer. I have been trying for 2 years...cannot even make it to the interview stage even with the help of a organizatioon helping disabled folks to get back into the workforce, nothing is available even with my experience / qualifications and bag of free money hanging around my neck.

Ian.

I am sorry to hear that. I have never heard of capped housing values, and 15% sales tax! Sounds like the Gov't is the problem. I've been selling Real estate,for 22 years now. The concept sounds odd to me. Are there other provinces more prosperous that you could move to? What may I ask is your area of expertise?

Yes.

Most of Atlantic canada is suffering. Alberta is where you go if you have a strong back / legs to make money. It's economy is driven by oil. My son..once if finishes his courses, will be heading there.

It, project management, sales (no desire to go back to that) but I have essentially changed jobs everyn 3 years to move up the ladder. I work best in buffer jobs or some call middle management. ..this is a class that has been completely gutted. I have owened a few business and, oh, I am certified to do payroll. Because I can only work p/t, I have been applying for everything...wine kit clerk (used to make bunches of this), mowing lawns, account clerk positions, invisible shoppers, job Councillor for the disabled, ..I am not particularly fussy :) Meeting with my Councillor next week..

Grassy if you get a mega cab be sure to check what you can tow as some Provinces (maybe some states )differ on trailer length they'll allow ( British Columbia ) .

Grassy there is a lot of opportunity in NFLD as well as the western provinces, If someone isn't working in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba it's because they just aren't looking , I can tell you there are help wanted signs hanging in business windows in Alta.

That is what my son says....it is good to hear that NFLD is getting some success...it deserves it.

I am looking for at lease a 50% buffer while towing but I shall look uop the various provinces...

....The difference is "1000" The 2500 is single axle in the rear the 3500 is a dually, right?

Reading, sounds like the dually is cheaper BUT much more heavy built truck!
The 3500 is rated to actually carry 2200 lbs in the bed. The 2500 is 1650. Also the 3500 has a 5,000 plus load rating on the front suspension. You can get the 3500 in single or dual wheel. The single wheel is wider, and the tire is larger. My Brother has a 4wd 2014' standard cab Cummins single wheel,3500 and he pulls a 36footer all over, with a Gold wing and atv Inside the trailer. So the truck can do the job.

-
Back