Don't overlook those antique malls for tools

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Last Saturday we went to a cousin's birthday party and got done early and stopped at a large antique mall we had spotted last time we were in that town. Check out what I found for $60. It's an old Sears 8" 3/4 horse industrial grinder. The pedestal is home made but is real well made. Man this thing runs smooth as silk and I did my best to stall it with a piece of 1/4" and could barely even slow it at all much less stall it. The 3/4 HP units made today must be rated different because every one I've tried that had 8" wheels on it was barely able to sharpen lawnmower blades without stalling and they usually vibrate bad. I know a lot of the vibration is from out of balance wheels but they still lack power even with good wheels. I've found some other useful tools, auto manuals, and car memorabilia at antique malls

Attachments

• 0209151114-00.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 498
Ha- yeah my older brother can spend A LOT of time in those places (it's how he makes his living)....drives me crazy. I just walk through looking for anything car related when with him. I'm usually done in 10 minutes and he hasn't gotten past the first cabinet yet.

Old car magazines from the 60s and 70's are always cool. Grinders are OK too. ;)

I relate.... "she" is into the antique stuff. antique is big in s w MO. the malls are the size of 2 foorballs fields!! LOL

I've looked for anything worthwhile but found 0.

if you find a small town tique store, that has more crap than tiques, you can sometimes finds some useful tools. if you value your time, just as well go buy them elsewhere ?? LOL

farm auctions are the best place to buy hand tools . but beware, lots of time some things will sell for more there than they cost new!!! LOL if they sell a box of tool "stuff", it can hold great treasures for almost nothing.
you can spend hours waiting to bid on stuff there if a large sale.

when it comes to tools in general, no doubt the older stuff is way better!!!!!

Ha- yeah my older brother can spend A LOT of time in those places (it's how he makes his living)....drives me crazy. I just walk through looking for anything car related when with him. I'm usually done in 10 minutes and he hasn't gotten past the first cabinet yet.

Old car magazines from the 60s and 70's are always cool. Grinders are OK too. ;)

LOL... I hear ya. Me and the Mrs are the same way. I usually only look for tools or old radio's. She looks at nearly everything.

I relate.... "she" is into the antique stuff. antique is big in s w MO. the malls are the size of 2 foorballs fields!! LOL

I've looked for anything worthwhile but found 0.

if you find a small town tique store, that has more crap than tiques, you can sometimes finds some useful tools. if you value your time, just as well go buy them elsewhere ?? LOL

farm auctions are the best place to buy hand tools . but beware, lots of time some things will sell for more there than they cost new!!! LOL if they sell a box of tool "stuff", it can hold great treasures for almost nothing.
you can spend hours waiting to bid on stuff there if a large sale.

when it comes to tools in general, no doubt the older stuff is way better!!!!!

Dang, that's some big malls! I hear ya on farm auctions. I've found some good deals there and seen some stuff sell for more than new

I honestly can say that I have never seen anything useful at the antique stores we have around here. Lots of wall art tools, but never anything as awesome as a grinder with stand.. Nice score!

Clothes, bad furniture, and Mantovani LPs are all I find at those stores. Nice find, Fishy!

You may end up on an episode of Pickers soon....

Don't forget local pawn shops. I got great deals on some shop tools and a bass guitar amp.

Don't forget local pawn shops. I got great deals on some shop tools and a bass guitar amp.

True for sure :glasses7: When my wife and I go treasure hunting in old little towns (seem to be best) I always stop in and make sure there is not a treasure waiting on me to use or resell, I bought 3 #10 MAC wrenches a couple weeks ago for a buck a piece at the Hippie's Old Antique mall in Sercy Ar. I am always looking :cheers:

Buddy had a 1.5HP 3 phase industrial grinder he liberated from a closed Aerospace plant, talk about torque! It had a magnetic relay power switch.....CLUNK! My generic 1/3 horse grinder is a joke, I have to chuck a grinding stone on one side for a flywheel to run a buffer wheel on the other to polish metal, but my 3/4hp HF buffer kicks ***. Old stuff is usually better than the new, I like old brass desk fans.

Buddy had a 1.5HP 3 phase industrial grinder he liberated from a closed Aerospace plant, talk about torque! It had a magnetic relay power switch.....CLUNK! My generic 1/3 horse grinder is a joke, I have to chuck a grinding stone on one side for a flywheel to run a buffer wheel on the other to polish metal, but my 3/4hp HF buffer kicks ***. Old stuff is usually better than the new, I like old brass desk fans.

Sounds like a whopper. I have a buddy that scraps and comes across deals like that every now and then. Unless you pay big bucks for them older grinders are usually a lot better than new. This grinder I picked up is rated at 3/4 hp and it's all I can do to slow it down just a little with a piece of 1/4" steel baring down on it nearly as hard as I can. Last year I bought a 3/4 hp grinder at harbor freight and it was a joke. Would barely even sharpen a small lawn mower blade. Took it back and got my money back.

-
Back