driving power steering without pump connected

-

Ottmundr

68 Fastback
Reaction score
I just got a new water pump for my 318 and it is missing two bolt locations. One for the power steering pump bracket and the other on the alternator side. I can jury rig something for the alternator bracket but can't fab up a bracket for the power steering this weekend, nor can I make it to a pick and pull.

Will I experience any damaging issues to the power steering gearbox if I just disconnect the pump and throw it in the trunk and drive without the pump until I can t my new (used) manual steering gearbox installed.

Uh, whut? Photos!! I think you are mistaken.

I don't think U are mistaken, I think U got the wrong year water pump. U are going to change the box anyway, so just connect a hose on the power box and don't worry

No problem running without the pump. Just cut up an old hose to connect the inlet and outlet on the PS box. Do it to keep from dumping the fluid that stays in the box along the underside of the car & prevent junk from getting into the box.

Drove my '75 that way for over a decade.

As mentioned, you likely have the wrong water pump. If that is so, you'll also find the lower rad hose on the wrong side, and the belt pulleys won't line up.

You may find yourself miles ahead by getting the proper pump.. jmo

hope it helps..

I don't think U are mistaken, I think U got the wrong year water pump. U are going to change the box anyway, so just connect a hose on the power box and don't worry

Isn't that a mistake? LOL

drove my buddies 71 Mach 1 for years without the pump hooked up. A bear parallel parking but on the road it was fine. Free Firm Feel! BUT out 77 Lincoln Town car stalled during a left hand turn and I bout parked it up on the sidewalk, I was lifting myself out of the seat trying to turn that bi-atch!

Don't do it.
If you get into an accident, you might as well throw your insurance policy out the window, and you will be automatically at fault.

I got it all working, I'll have to post in the, "What I did to my car today," thread. I deliberately got the newer style water pump due to the radiator I had on hand.

Now I get to tackle the electrical gremlins (not the AMC Gremlins, for they can be fierce sleepers)

-
Back