Easiest 727/904 rebuild thread...

-
Keep on rocking @j par i learn something every single post!
One thing without fail almost every time I rebuild one of these transmissions the dirtiest ones have the best insides and the cleanest ones are broken or burnt out... I would say buy the cleanest one you can to avoid how hard they are to clean but then again buy the dirtiest one so it will actually have good guts in it LOL... It's crapshoot...

I've been following your thread @j par .

It was comments from you that prompted me to rebuild a 904 for the first time to go behind a 5.9 Magnum that was my first complete engine build. I agree with you...anyone can do it. This thread will help others decide to learn, have fun, save money, and feel pride that comes from success.

I reckon My 5.9 is 375 - 400 hp and I beat on it every time I take it out, which is weekly. Absolutely no problems yet. Well...early on the 904 acted up and I found the part throttle cover was loose. Guess I missed tightening it down!!! But I've been beating on it for three years and no problem since!!

I used a book along with the old school video. Took my time and like EVERYONE says...keep it CLEAN!! Here are pictures of my table. I bought a roll of thick brown paper at Home Depot and kept changing it, lol. CLEAN :D

IMG_20200518_125701.jpg

IMG_20200506_130328.jpg

@j par

Hey bud.

I didn't know a auto Trans from a hole in the ground.. J par convinced me (and walked me through it) to just do it and my first 904 came out perfect. (Thanks) In fact it is still in use in my race car to this day.
I will also thank CRT, CopeRacing Trans (no relation) and Ultimate converters for all their advice.

As much as my friends in N&P like to argue different, J par is a solid guy.

Stay well brother!

Last edited:
@j par

Hey bud.

I didn't know a auto Trans from a hole in the ground.. J par convinced me (and walked me through it) to just do it and my first 904 came out perfect. (Thanks) In fact it is still in use in my race car to this day.
I will also thank CRT, CopeRacing Trans (no relation) and Ultimate converters for all their advice.

As much as my friends in N&P like to argue different, J par is a solid guy.

Stay well brother!
Well you did all the work brother.. I just had to give you a little shove in the right direction that's all... I knew in my heart of hearts that you're vastly too intelligent to let someone do what I know you could do.. over the years you displayed so much creativity and ingenuity I knew it would be a piece of cake for you....
Appreciate your testimonial here in this thread and again it's more geared towards the first timers kind of getting rid of those excuses I've heard of the years like not enough space not enough time not enough tools all of which is a bad "reason"... I usually do a stock rebuild with a Transgo shift kit and maybe some high performance clutches and steels, but I know you put some high performance parts in yours and maybe some particulars for the guys who want to take it to the next level would be great...

I called CRT and told them I wanted a "bulletproof" 904 for racing. They sold me all the parts. Clutches, bands, drums, etc. It was not cheep but then again buy once, cry once right? That Trans has never let me down.

Same for the guys at ultimate converters. They said something that has stuck with me to this day.

Be honest about your car. I still tell customers this. "You need to be honest about your intended use for the car" (and your budget) I told them what I wanted the car to do, kick *** at stoplight racing.
How much power I was making, engine configuration and a few more things He wanted to know and they built the converter.

The only regret I had was the TF3 valve body. My choice, not anyone's fault but mine. That thing sucked and was miserable to drive with. It didn't shift until about 3,800 RPM and felt like a donky was kicking your seat back on each shift.
I drive the car on the street exclusively so that means lots of cops around. A full blown race car, cage, slicks, pro stock wing.... yeah.. no need to draw any more unwanted attention from the boys in blue.. and that dang valve body would NEVER SHIFT. the car would be screaming and I'd have to goose the throttle to get it to shift, then BANG, DONKY KICK to the back of the head.

I replaced the TF3 with a full manual, reverse valve body and it is SO much better to drive.

Now when a cop pulls up next to me he don't think I'm trying to race him. I simply bump into second at about 1,200 RPM, nice and quite like. No donky kick, no screaming exhaust, no tire chirp, just a nice easy and quite shift.

My advice is this. Be honest about what you want. Be honest about your budget and be honest about how you will actually use the car.

Thanks again bud it's people like you who make this such a great place.

I called CRT and told them I wanted a "bulletproof" 904 for racing. They sold me all the parts. Clutches, bands, drums, etc. It was not cheep but then again buy once, cry once right? That Trans has never let me down.

Same for the guys at ultimate converters. They said something that has stuck with me to this day.

Be honest about your car. I still tell customers this. "You need to be honest about your intended use for the car" (and your budget) I told them what I wanted the car to do, kick *** at stoplight racing.
How much power I was making, engine configuration and a few more things He wanted to know and they built the converter.

The only regret I had was the TF3 valve body. My choice, not anyone's fault but mine. That thing sucked and was miserable to drive with. It didn't shift until about 3,800 RPM and felt like a donky was kicking your seat back on each shift.
I drive the car on the street exclusively so that means lots of cops around. A full blown race car, cage, slicks, pro stock wing.... yeah.. no need to draw any more unwanted attention from the boys in blue.. and that dang valve body would NEVER SHIFT. the car would be screaming and I'd have to goose the throttle to get it to shift, then BANG, DONKY KICK to the back of the head.

I replaced the TF3 with a full manual, reverse valve body and it is SO much better to drive.

Now when a cop pulls up next to me he don't think I'm trying to race him. I simply bump into second at about 1,200 RPM, nice and quite like. No donky kick, no screaming exhaust, no tire chirp, just a nice easy and quite shift.

My advice is this. Be honest about what you want. Be honest about your budget and be honest about how you will actually use the car.

Thanks again bud it's people like you who make this such a great place.
All I can think of with the transgo 2 was maybe the kickdown wasn't adjusted correctly or the valve body pressure lever? I usually have to fiddle with those back and forth till I find the correct shift spot. But I know with my Transgo 3 all I did was wire the lever all the way open and it worked perfect...
And my apologies for this hack job guy^^^ (who by the way named himself appropriately.…)
He's been making up things that people say and then making comments on them LOL I'm sure he's got some kind of mental problem....

Yes the TF3 is a manual shift kit. If it wasn't shifting until 3k rpm, that's a sign that it wan't installed correctly, because it should go into whichever gear you put it in at any speed. In "D", it should be in 3rd even at a complete stop. Not shifting into 2nd until 3k rpm means it's time to redo it and find the mistake. Which is why I'm here. "My tf was just rebuilt by a competent shop but...".. I want anybody to feel free to correct me if anything I post is wrong. I don't get to be wrong very often, so when I am wrong, it's very entertaining for me.

Yes the TF3 is a manual shift kit. If it wasn't shifting until 3k rpm, that's a sign that it wan't installed correctly, because it should go into whichever gear you put it in at any speed. In "D", it should be in 3rd even at a complete stop. Not shifting into 2nd until 3k rpm means it's time to redo it and find the mistake. Which is why I'm here. "My tf was just rebuilt by a competent shop but...".. I want anybody to feel free to correct me if anything I post is wrong. I don't get to be wrong very often, so when I am wrong, it's very entertaining for me.
Well you're totally wrong he was talking about the trans go 2... He said when he put the three in it worked perfectly... Again you read and understand and comprehend what you want to and it's nothing anybody has said...
Is this a medication issue?...

I'm positive the trans go two was probably nothing he did wrong. Likely just an adjustment was needed..

Well you're totally wrong he was talking about the trans go 2... He said when he put the three in it worked perfectly... Again you read and understand and comprehend what you want to and it's nothing anybody has said...
Is this a medication issue?...

Where does he say is was a TF2? I see TF3.

I forget what the model number was of the first valve body was. I thought it was TF3 but it may have been a TF2 and the TF3 replaced it.

I just know I was not happy with it.

Maybe I messed it up but who knows? I'm sure Mr hack job can retroactively inform us of all the mistakes everyone here has ever made. He seems like a super likeable and knowledgeable guy. I'm sure his car and life are awesome. I wish I was him.

his post reminds me of a joke.

"I was wrong once. I thought I screwed up, Turns out I didn't."

:rofl:

stay well folks.

Well there we go I'm the one with the comprehension problem here. I closed swore he said too and then he did a three because of the problems that he was having. I've done several twos and I always had to adjust the kick down back and forth till it was just right. I did it's three and it worked perfect just pulling the kick down wide open with a wire. Now there is adjustments to the valve pressure itself inside and it comes with a warning not to go past flush...
I'm so used to this guy making stuff up I just naturally assumed he was on par LOL...

I forget what the model number was of the first valve body was. I thought it was TF3 but it may have been a TF2 and the TF3 replaced it.

I just know I was not happy with it.

Maybe I messed it up but who knows? I'm sure Mr hack job can retroactively inform us of all the mistakes everyone here has ever made. He seems like a super likeable and knowledgeable guy. I'm sure his car and life are awesome. I wish I was him.

his post reminds me of a joke.

"I was wrong once. I thought I screwed up, Turns out I didn't."

:rofl:

stay well folks.

Ok, that would make sense if you installed the TF2 kit. It’s an automatic shift kit. So yeah, that would suck if it shifted that late.

If you adjust your kd so it's at max when the carb is at max and it requires "fiddling", then you have the wrong arm on the trans. Any other way is wrong information that will cause damage to the trans. We don't "fiddle".. And that just so happens to be one of my favorite jokes. This thread is chock full of bad info by the original poster plus a few others. But it's the internet so some people love to suck it right up. I'll do my best to continue to call out all the mistakes but it's cutting into my rebuild time.

If you adjust your kd so it's at max when the carb is at max and it requires "fiddling", then you have the wrong arm on the trans. Any other way is wrong information that will cause damage to the trans. We don't "fiddle".. And that just so happens to be one of my favorite jokes. This thread is chock full of bad info by the original poster plus a few others. But it's the internet so some people love to suck it right up. I'll do my best to continue to call out all the mistakes but it's cutting into my rebuild time.
The funny part is all the bad info is coming from you LOL I think at this point I'll join all the people personal messaging me about this thread and or outright saying it here on the thread and go ahead and put you on ignore at least till the thread is over with... Bye bye..,

-
Back