Factory eco injection.

-
You could retro-fit all the EFI stuff from a Magnum motor on to an LA no problem.

You could retro-fit all the EFI stuff from a Magnum motor on to an LA no problem.
LOL I don't know what you call "no problem." Crank trigger is a bit of a trick, and you will need an appropriate manifold to mount injectors. It IS expensive no matter what you do.

People make fun of TBI and there other options besides FI tech an Sniper. Mine was an older TB only with Holley external CPU. So more programming options

If TBI is so awful because "wet" then explain to me HOW DO CARBURETORS EVER MAKE POWER

I dunno, Rusty- the magnum intake has different bolt angles, and the shape of the "kegger" intake kinda eliminates the possibility of redrilling them at the LA angle. No provision to mount the crank position sensor on the LA, either. Not insurmountable, but...
The '88-'92 factory TBI setups would fit, but they're not tuneable and some of the parts are going NS1.

Is there any type of factory E F I that will fit an LA small block engine.
Holley is a factory. You can bolt their EFI throttle body kit and fuel system upgrade and go.

If that's cheating in your book, I used a 1999 factory ECM and TB on the 408 in my '68 Barracuda, but it is remapped, has a Hotwire Auto wiring harness and has 45lbs Ford racing injectors(4 hole).

Just saying....

Heart (Medium).png

I dunno, Rusty- the magnum intake has different bolt angles, and the shape of the "kegger" intake kinda eliminates the possibility of redrilling them at the LA angle. No provision to mount the crank position sensor on the LA, either. Not insurmountable, but...
The '88-'92 factory TBI setups would fit, but they're not tuneable and some of the parts are going NS1.
That wasn't RRR, but He used that avatar for a little while, lol. The only low-buck tuning that Buick GN guys & FWD Mopar guys used is adjustable fuel pressure regs & injector selection.

I had the old analog Holley set up on a tool truck years ago. It worked quite well.

That wasn't RRR, but He used that avatar for a little while, lol. The only low-buck tuning that Buick GN guys & FWD Mopar guys used is adjustable fuel pressure regs & injector selection.
DOH! :BangHead: I gotta pay more attention to that stuff- my brain sometimes locks into the past (guess that's why I love A bodies).

I have heard of useing the GM throttle body stuff on a mopar. Its cheap in the JY and there is some aftermarket support for it.

LOL I don't know what you call "no problem." Crank trigger is a bit of a trick, and you will need an appropriate manifold to mount injectors. It IS expensive no matter what you do.

People make fun of TBI and there other options besides FI tech an Sniper. Mine was an older TB only with Holley external CPU. So more programming options

If TBI is so awful because "wet" then explain to me HOW DO CARBURETORS EVER MAKE POWER
It’s not that TBI is awful and can’t make power, it’s just completely untunable and has no aftermarket support. If using a completely stock engine, a completely stock TBI setup will work just not any better than a carb if you know how to tune a carb.

OE Magnum wouldn't be that hard. Here's an adaptor for the crank sensor:

3.9/5.2/5.9 ENGINE - Crank Sensor Adapter - HiPoTek

There are reasonably simple solutions to any of the other issues that would come up.

For most of us, OE Magnum would be the cheapest option to get MPFI on a small block, and when you're done all your replacement parts are catalogue Chrysler pieces. Just go down to a local yard or find a guy parting out a 2nd gen Ram and pull the harness, PCM, distributor, intake with injectors, sensors, and throttle body. (While you're at it, just could pull the 5.2 or 5.9 and use the engine too, but that wasn't the OP's question.) I got that entire list or parts off a guy for $100 CAD. He was parting a truck and only wanted the engine.

I did that same thing lol. I read it and thought "he knows better!"

I would throw a sniper on it and be done IMO. Factory lack of tunability and serviceability isn't worth the hassle.

There are reasonably simple solutions to any of the other issues that would come up.

For most of us, OE Magnum would be the cheapest option to get MPFI on a small block, and when you're done all your replacement parts are catalogue Chrysler pieces. Just go down to a local yard or find a guy parting out a 2nd gen Ram and pull the harness, PCM, distributor, intake with injectors, sensors, and throttle body. (While you're at it, just could pull the 5.2 or 5.9 and use the engine too, but that wasn't the OP's question.) I got that entire list or parts off a guy for $100 CAD. He was parting a truck and only wanted the engine.
That's a neat adapter- I'll have to save that link.
I still don't see how the factory kegger manifold could be adapted to LA heads, though. Redrilling the manifold bolt holes at the proper angle would have the center bolt holes going into the plenum, and no good way to get in there to bolt them on. Let alone getting in there to machine some flat pads for the bolts to seat to. Possibly redrill the heads at the Magnum angle, but then you'd probably be better off just swapping on Magnum heads (which in turn requires the necessary valvetrain mods)... and at that point, just swapping in the whole motor becomes a lot easier..
1675111206479.jpeg

Am I missing something?

It’s not that TBI is awful and can’t make power, it’s just completely untunable and has no aftermarket support. If using a completely stock engine, a completely stock TBI setup will work just not any better than a carb if you know how to tune a carb.
I was not referring to FACTORY TBI

Well you are pretty much gonna NEED the engine too, at least the heads and other hardware and crank trigger...............

Any fuel injection adds a layer of complexity that many users don't want to deal with.

It's not that tbi doesn't have benefits, it just doesn't have EXCLUSIVE benefits.
I was not referring to FACTORY TBI
What he said still stands and is relevant to the OP

Last edited:
FYI that nifty crank sensor bracket is the least of your worries. Running an automatic and converting to the magnum crank trigger is easy. Standard transmissions are a *****.

I live in Australia

I live in Australia

Yeah, I saw that. That's why I said the Magnum retrofit option would be cheapest for "most of us", and I also didn't suggest you just grab the Magnum engine at the same time.

EFI is pretty expensive for anyone, but shipping is obviously a killer for you. Being in Canada I'm a lot closer to the US, but we are very much in the same boat as you when it comes to buying from the US: We have a weak dollar compared to USD, shipping to Canada is around 3 times the cost of US domestic shipping rates, and the de minimis for duties on shipments inbound to Canada is $20 - so we basically pay duties on everything. The de minimis in AU is $1000 AUD, so while you get hammered on the shipping and exchange at least you're not paying another 13% in tax like we are in Canada!

I didn't really want to go with EFI unless I could have a MPFI setup. I never had and real problems with my carb setups, so moving to some kind of aftermarket TBI didn't make sense for me. The cheapest way I could see for me to get MPFI was to pull a 5.9 Magnum plus everything I needed out of a 2nd generation Ram truck (actually mine was from from a B van, but same thing). That's where we are in totally different worlds - I'm sure there aren't a lot of 90s Dodge pickup trucks in your local scrap yards, but there are still tons here in Hoth.

In your case the most cost effective option is an aftermarket TBI setup like the Holley Sniper. All the usual suspects also have MPFI options, but it gets spendy to considering the MPFI options also require fuel rails and fuel injectors, plus a specialized MPFI intake manifold. If you do go with a TBI setup you will 100% want to make sure you take advantage of the ignition timing control, otherwise you're only getting half the benefit of the system. Yeah, so that means you have to buy a distributor too.

Yeah, I saw that. That's why I said the Magnum retrofit option would be cheapest for "most of us", and I also didn't suggest you just grab the Magnum engine at the same time.

EFI is pretty expensive for anyone, but shipping is obviously a killer for you. Being in Canada I'm a lot closer to the US, but we are very much in the same boat as you when it comes to buying from the US: We have a weak dollar compared to USD, shipping to Canada is around 3 times the cost of US domestic shipping rates, and the de minimis for duties on shipments inbound to Canada is $20 - so we basically pay duties on everything. The de minimis in AU is $1000 AUD, so while you get hammered on the shipping and exchange at least you're not paying another 13% in tax like we are in Canada!

I didn't really want to go with EFI unless I could have a MPFI setup. I never had and real problems with my carb setups, so moving to some kind of aftermarket TBI didn't make sense for me. The cheapest way I could see for me to get MPFI was to pull a 5.9 Magnum plus everything I needed out of a 2nd generation Ram truck (actually mine was from from a B van, but same thing). That's where we are in totally different worlds - I'm sure there aren't a lot of 90s Dodge pickup trucks in your local scrap yards, but there are still tons here in Hoth.

In your case the most cost effective option is an aftermarket TBI setup like the Holley Sniper. All the usual suspects also have MPFI options, but it gets spendy to considering the MPFI options also require fuel rails and fuel injectors, plus a specialized MPFI intake manifold. If you do go with a TBI setup you will 100% want to make sure you take advantage of the ignition timing control, otherwise you're only getting half the benefit of the system. Yeah, so that means you have to buy a distributor too.
I have a 340 in my dart and I don’t want a 360 of any kind so the Holley sniper will have to do.

I have thought about this a few times. Just add injector bungs to any cheap LA intake. I bought a set of injector bungs but don’t have time yet. ICT Billet 551313 ICT Billet Fuel Injector Bungs | Summit Racing

I think there is a Chinese single plane available in Australia that is not offered here in the US, so no idea what it costs.
There is an Edelbrock Super Victor EFI that is LA pattern with big injector bosses and holes drilled.

Even on a Magnum, making power with factory EFI gets sketchy because no SFI flex plate is available. So how just making a smaller size, more typical style front mount tone ring and mounting a crank sensor up front. I have not tried it yet but it’s on my mind.

With the crank trigger bracket posted above, and notching the bellhousing of your current automatic trans, you could adapt the magnum efi to almost any LA efi intake manifold. The MAP, tps, and iac are all integrated into the throttle body. So all you’d have to do is run a magnum distributor, the crank position sensor, and add a second cts and you’d have magnum efi on an LA.
If you pull all of that stuff off a running truck grab the PDC also and all the wiring to the jtec ecu and it’s as simple as hooking up battery cable and a few wires to make it run.

-
Back