Fastest Duster on stockish suspension?

-

polyjohn

Reaction score
Looking to build a track Duster into the Tens.

On stockish factory suspension with either a big or small-block set-up?

Whats your best on rear springs, no tubs?

Is their a crossover between super revvy SB to grunty BB...

Not a street car just Fun days at the track lol.

HNY to all in A Bod-land

You don’t need anything really special to get a leaf spring A body deep into the 10’s. If you can make the power. Most are way over-sprung. You just want enough rear spring to hold the rear of the car up and enough stiffness in the front section not to distort. Then control it with the shock. Remove the rear clamps. You might to add some extra front clamps. A 8-9” rear tire and a good double adjustable rear shock. A good single adjustable for the front will help with timing the weight transfer. QA1-R’s work in the front for me, but I’m never going to lift the front tire very high.

HNY to all in A Bod-land
F.A.S.T. series cars are regularly into the 11s/high 10s. And that's on stock skinny bias plies.

ken (physixx) from this site is consistently in the 10's on mopar SS springs and stock front suspension..

DSC_0097.JPG

DSC_0100.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

DSC_0102.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

I got 10.70s with nothing but s/s springs and extra clamps. Mp rear drag shocks and no snubbed. But ended up twisting the rear-end badly. If you go this route back brace if it's an 8.75. Oh. And 29.5 10.5 slicks.

“What I would do”.....

550-600hp stroker
4500-5000 stall
4.10’s
9x29 slicks
Cal tracs and their springs.

I went well into the 9’s at 3350 pounds with full interior, back seat, not minitubbed, 28 by 10 tire, super stock springs, abd cheap CE 3way on all four corners.only fiberglass was the bumpers and hood scoop
Car was deadly consistent..1.34 60 foot, would hook anywhere.
W5 smallblock
0F01B0D7-F8B7-4C34-A761-E94C0E7F5EA8.jpeg

Ken is a good fella. I would like to re-meet him one day when I’m not pressed for time like last time.
Same @ValiantRacing , ya got a good fella over there as well.

The real key here is, do you want to do a big or small block.

I'd go with a supper revey big block, easy to build 750 - 800 hp.

Gonna be very challenging to hook a big block making that kind of power and torque, especially with the requirements posted by the OP
500-530 horse well done small block stroker will get a Duster in the 10’s easy.

Gonna be very challenging to hook a big block making that kind of power and torque, especially with the requirements posted by the OP
What requirements?
The hardest part so far is the unknown weight of the car.
Rear springs could be S/S springs or CalTracks. He doesn’t need to rub the rear in order to run a 10.99 or less. 10.0’s are a different story. If that’s what your thinking.

Guys hook 1500 hp on 28x10.5s and Caltracks. I'm of the opinion that you build the fast than your goal and slow it down. The difference between 600hp bb and an 800 hp bb is just a camshaft.

What requirements?

The hardest part so far is the unknown weight of the car.
Rear springs could be S/S springs or CalTracks. He doesn’t need to rub the rear in order to run a 10.99 or less. 10.0’s are a different story. If that’s what your thinking.

He said stockish leaf spring suspension with stock wheelwhells. Figured stock or super stock springs
On a Duster( with correct backspace) 10 inch 88 circumference tire is your limit.
That said, those two above limiters are more than capable of running anywhere in the 10’s plenty have done it, including me.
Dusters have great rear overhang and make great racecars. Doesnt take much to get them to work at all

Guys hook 1500 hp on 28x10.5s and Caltracks. I'm of the opinion that you build the fast than your goal and slow it down. The difference between 600hp bb and an 800 hp bb is just a camshaft.

wow, i want to gain 200 hundred ponies swapping cams.
So if i have a 600 horse 493 stroker with ported eddies on it, and swap cams, it will make 800?
I love this forum, learn new stuff every day

I'm building a low 10 second car (hopefully)?
I am minitubbing the car though & moving the springs inboard.
I'll be using Calvert split monoleafs
Calvert sliders, Calvert shocks.
Assassin bars & a narrowed Dana 60 4.56 gears.
Front suspension will be stock slant 6 t-bars.
Calvert 90/10 shocks for now.
470 bb (Maybe 650 hp not dynoed yet)
727 5000 k stall.
3200 with me & cage
Tire somewhere around 30by13.
My goal is 10.00 foot brake,
Might go 4.30 gears though.
I know guessing isn't exactly helpful but it's a formula done by many an a-body

I'm building a low 10 second car (hopefully)?
I am minitubbing the car though & moving the springs inboard.
I'll be using Calvert split monoleafs
Calvert sliders, Calvert shocks.
Assassin bars & a narrowed Dana 60 4.56 gears.
Front suspension will be stock slant 6 t-bars.
Calvert 90/10 shocks for now.
470 bb (Maybe 650 hp not dynoed yet)
727 5000 k stall.
3200 with me & cage
Tire somewhere around 30by13.
My goal is 10.00 foot brake,
Might go 4.30 gears though.
I know guessing isn't exactly helpful but it's a formula done by many an a-body

See lots of guys seem to think foot-braking a car is a liability when it comes to how fast it is….
Fact, if the convertor is specced correctly to the car, the difference off the foot or brake shouldn't be enough to even mention. Might be a touch faster off the foot, or a touch faster off the brake, but the difference isnt squat 98% of the time.
Seen tons of stockers and NSS car’s that 60 foot hard off the foot on the bumper.
If one sees a big difference, most all the time something isnt right in the combo.
Reaction time is obviously quicker off a brake, but that has zero bearing on ET

wow, i want to gain 200 hundred ponies swapping cams.
So if i have a 600 horse 493 stroker with ported eddies on it, and swap cams, it will make 800?
I love this forum, learn new stuff every day
Your a moron, built it for 800 you don't need to change much to go slower but thanks for making my point, it can be a ***** to add power but if you don't build it in the first place.
I wouldn't go telling everyone your only making 600hp with Edelbrock heads, seems like somthing you would keep to yourself, hell I have made 650 with 915 heads.

Mopars have gone into the 7s on factory leaf spring rear supensions.

“What I would do”.....

550-600hp stroker
4500-5000 stall
4.10’s
9x29 slicks
Cal tracs and their springs.
Just out of curiosity, why 4.10s with a 29inch tire?
Because I've been thinking if I really should run a 4.56 with a 30 inch tire, I'd rather not be turning over 7000 rpm with a 471 & standard port tf's.

-
Back