Filling up at the gas station

-

paul1bass

Reaction score
I have trouble gassing up my 1964 Plymouth Valiant Signet. The filler nozzle leans way back, causing the pump to shut off even while I'm squeezing the handle. If I turn the nozzle upside down and hold it firmly into the opening, I can get it to keep pumping and filling. But I have to guess when it's close to full/shutoff, because if I wait for it to shut off automatically, right as it shuts off some gas overflows and runs down the side of the car. Any suggestions?

I end up putting a lot of the filler nozzels almost upside down to get a good angle for the fuel to flow at a decent rate into my 65 dart. At like 10 o'clock. And have to keep a good ear out and really slow flow when close to full to not have a spill at the end. That's the only solution I've found that helps

God forbid I run across a California style gas nozzle. I just roll down the street further to one that isnt.

yeah, inverted filler and listen for the fuel to get higher pitched going in. I bought my 65 with the vertical racing stripe too. My 57 Ford was worse, filler behind the pate and it was pretty low to begin with. That laid a trail of fuel if you put too much in.

I have a 64 Valiant and my only ***** is these modern gas nozzles don't have the curve in them need to actually hold them at the right angle. I just hold toe gas nozzle up and it gasses up just fine and cuts off when full. No overflow. Have you checked your vent tube to make sure it's not stopped up?

turn the nozzle upside down and hold it firmly into the opening,
My 63 Valiant was the same way. I would guess-ta-mate gallons and shut it off before it puked fuel on to the quarter panel .

I have trouble gassing up my 1964 Plymouth Valiant Signet. The filler nozzle leans way back, causing the pump to shut off even while I'm squeezing the handle. If I turn the nozzle upside down and hold it firmly into the opening, I can get it to keep pumping and filling. But I have to guess when it's close to full/shutoff, because if I wait for it to shut off automatically, right as it shuts off some gas overflows and runs down the side of the car. Any suggestions?
Yep, you'll have that. The cap/fill.location and the fill tube were designed long before there were auto shut off's on pumps.

if you pull the California vapor recovery collar back to bypass the seal interlock, you can pump the fuel in a regular fashion, just listen for the fuel to start backing up in the filler pipe. It will have more of a chance to back up in the fill pipe this way but it works on an empty tank.

I always wanted to play with someones exhaust pipe bender and make a fill tube that is a few inches long at the quarter panel and bends down toward the trunk floor and then another bend to enter the tank at the proper angle. I don't know if it would be an improvement but worth a try.

Layson's makes fill tubes for early A's that are supposed to do away with this problem. I was going to get a link and post it, but for some reason their website is slower'n smoke offa horse crap tonight! Look way down at the bottom of their menu under services/other services.

The 1/4" vent has nothing to do with fuel filling, as the fuel goes in so fast, the 1/4" vent could never keep up. What DOES vent the tank during filling is the baffle down the vent tube. It is "supposed" to allow fuel to flow on the bottom side, while allowing air to "gush" back up the top side. There has been articles written on "improvements" but I don't know what is what there. Those baffles CAN rust and maybe collapse, as well.

I think a lot of the problem is pump/ hose/ filler design. There is one station here in town I went to TWICE and never again. The nozzles "jump" in your hands trying to trigger them, and operate and some incredibly high pressure. I don't know how they keep at it, I'd think many people would have problems

What do you guys do in states that have attendants that pump gas for you, like in Oregon? Will they allow you to do the pumping?

I have no problem filling up my '69 B body with the filler behind the Lic plate but my wife's 63 valiant is another story, I have to hold handle at a right angle to put in gas. I had to show my wife how to make it work. I guess it's the design of the new style filler tubes. I had a '63 back in the day and didn't have any problems with it. RH

Today's pumps likely pump faster and with a little more force, than the pumps of old did. I hold the nozzle angled to the right and listen carfully for the gas to hit the filler tube and release, it does change in tone.

What do you guys do in states that have attendants that pump gas for you, like in Oregon? Will they allow you to do the pumping?
I think the law goes as they have to at least hand you the pump. I've never had a gas station attendant say I couldn't...
There's a little fork you can buy that holds that thing back for like filling your motorcycle or something...

On my '65 Dart I do the following:

1) insert nozzle into filler
2) Adjust handle to be 45* from parallel
3) Plant knee against handle (this seals the rubber boot)
4) Pull the trigger

When done it will click off and there is not overfill.

Besides the filling pain and holding the nozzle upside down mine would spill out the cap when doing hard right turns and run down the fender staining the paint . My solution was to only fill to 3/4 tank or just 12 gallons in the tank .

Now that the car is repainted I don’t want to play that game anymore .
I’m seriously thinking about cutting the trunk floor for a 60’s Mustang tank with fuel injection pump and moving the filler to the top center and then maybe plumbing it to the stock fill location. All this would be under a lift deck like in the station wagons .

-
Back