Finally the 66 Dart is here!!

-
Well today I started on the drivers side,I made some good progress and will have it finished up tomorrow.I,m praying that my spring relo. kit comes in the mail tomorrow also(on vacation this week)I would like to have the kit done and get my rearend and tank back in so I can pull the motor this weekend.I,d like to have the block in the shop before christmas shopping begins LOL.Here,s more pics of progress... car pics 66 Dart 059.jpg
car pics 66 Dart 062.jpg
I think the most time consuming is chiseling the undercoating and drilling out the spotwelds!:clock:car pics 66 Dart 061.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 059.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 062.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 061.jpg

Scott and easy way to remove undercoating is with a heat gun and putty knife. Use the heat gun to soften the undercoating and it'll peel off real easy. Wear long sleeves and gloves for sure cause it's pretty hot when it falls off.

She's comin along real nice petty,great work.looking forward to seeing the vids from the track next year.8)

Scott and easy way to remove undercoating is with a heat gun and putty knife. Use the heat gun to soften the undercoating and it'll peel off real easy. Wear long sleeves and gloves for sure cause it's pretty hot when it falls off.
Hey Fishy,I just tap it with a puttyknife and light hammer and it pops off nice and easy!Look Ma no burns!LOL

Ok. When you said "chiseling" it off earlier I thought it might be stuck hard like mine was.
Yes Fishy68,it came of fairly easy.It was messy flying off but alls good.Off to the paint store to order trunk paint by code,then back to welding in the wheelwell.:cheers:

Well,I,m almost done the minitub,just alittle more welding then sealer.I,m gonna cleanup the trunk area and paint as close to the colour of the car as I can get in a spraybomb.I have my fingers crossed that my spring relocation kit comes tomorrow.(were shipped last week).I have to take 2 intakes(1 single plain,1 dual plain)to engine builder to see which of the two flows best with the Eddy RPM heads.Pics...

car pics 66 Dart 064.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 065.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 066.jpg

Well I finished welding up the pass. side,sealed and coated!Now onto the drivers side.Once it,s complete,I,m having a spraybomb made up for the factory blue so it will look all nice.I,d have to say I have about 12hrs. doing the one side(taking breaks ofcourse)HeHe!More to come!:clock:

what did you spray over the welds? and what did you use to fill them in? I used JB weld to fill in some welds that I did in my trunk. and then also put some silicon that was made for metal. But I didn't realize until after i was done that the silicon wasn't paintable :(. felt sorta dumb when i didn that..

you're doing alot of good work here! keep it up! i subscribed so I can get some ideas for my dart :cheers:

I bought some auto seam sealer from the parts store,was $5.50 a tube.Hope this helps.Scrape the silicone off and redo it,then you can paint over it.

Today I got the minitub finished up and painted the trunk,I tried to match the color as close as possible(outside of car is pretty faded flat)nobody will be looking in there anyway.LOL.My spring relocation kit didn,t show up and I,m alittle bummed about that(Iwanted to get it done while I,m off for the week)so I moved on to start removing the motor.This will be the easy part,seeing I just put it in not to long ago.LOL.I went to the engine builder to check on my heads and ordered a stroker kit for the 408 from Eagle.The motor has .030 pistons now,so ordered a .060 over kit(going to be over 500hp)also for down the road incase a little spray comes into the pic?I doubt I,ll need it though.My trunk looks O.K I guess,just glad it,s done!:cheers:

car pics 66 Dart 067.jpg

A good job well done! You'll need all the tire you can stuff under that Dart with a big stroker under the hood. LOL Mike

Keep up the good work. You're almost there. Mike

Well DAM IT!!I stepped in the shower for 5 mins. and missed the UPS guy with my spring relocation kit(which I,ve been waiting for all week)now I won,t get it til Monday evening.Why me??LOL.I go back to work Monday from a week off.I guess I,ll have to hit the metal supermarket for some steel tubing to make frame connectors.Til later this evening...

Stop that Toolman!!I,m not gettin sleep at night when I see that pic.LOL!Keep dreamin..Well I bought some 3x1 inch square tubing today and made some frame connectors they,re 52 inches long.Cost me $20,so I notched them,primed and painted(I had a spraybomb sitting around LOL)I welded one in cleaned up the welds and put a little seam sealer over the welds and painted.(I still had some sealer left over from the minitub)I,ll get to the other one Sunday.Pics..

P.S I,m thinking about making some torque boxes also for added strength.

car pics 66 Dart 071.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 075.jpg

car pics 66 Dart 076.jpg

I like the color you painted in the trunk, very cool. The mini tubbing went very well an dlooks fantastic.I see the 1" thickness clears the floor pan completely huh Petty? That didn't take you long and I think the torque boxes are good too. moving right along man!

Clearly Scott, you are not married and definitely do not have kids running around.

Nice work, keep it up!

Well I got the d.side frame connector in today.These were fairly easy to do and only cost me $23 for the metal.Next will be the spring relo kit also looking into a Roll cage from S&W Racing for a wopping $169.Til next time,back to work in the morning.Bummer!:shaking2:

Well it was early Christmas for me today!I recieved my spring relocation kit,V8 centerlink and the calander from J Miller.A big thanks to GTGrinly,J Miller and Jack Parlier1 for making my day with the needed items mentioned.Now I have no time to install til christmas.Oh well!:snakeman:

-
Back