Flasher Gasser

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
You just don't know until you take it apart sometimes.

I dropped my gas tank to check things out inside and also to try to figure out away to get my Auto Meter MCX gas gauge to read correctly. I don't have the correct OHMS with the stock sender...so I've got to work something out.

Anyways I found a little surprise when I took the sender out. Someone had "fused" together two heavy duty flasher housings in order to make a float! Then tie wired it to the float rod. I mean it worked but might had started leaking inside housing eventually. Some of the stuff they used to seal the housing was already coming apart.

DSC02059.jpg

DSC02061.jpg

DSC02069.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

DSC02070.jpg

don't let the chinese see that, they will be making reproductions. LOL

Now that's makin' do with what you have...
C

I ran the part #'s on your float and it came back as
a recycled _ _ _ _ part.

At least it worked for you, I bought a new one off ebay, can't remember from who. anywho, after the winter in storage the float leaked and quit working. it was a brand new plastic float piece of s#!t. How's that for crap luck.

That's awesome! I'm surprised that it worked at all though.

I have a slightly used (couple of hours) 3/8 outlet sender that I bought off Ebay for sale if you're interested. Send me a PM.

That is resourseful, I betcha, he was proud of that float too. Looks like he used liquid steel, if it is metal, he`d been better off soldering. Reminds me when I wanted to get all fabricaty:-Dand build my own float. I have a bunch of thin brass sheets I got from a machinest toolbox from an auction. I used a deepwell socket to use as a form, for tube and caps. soldered, tested and installed. Well after about 2 weeks it would sink:angry7:. after 2 tries I give in and asked my Dad to give it a shot.:cheers:, been holdin up for a many year. I`m a welder by trade but soldering should be part of my expertise. The old man assumed I knew the concept of tining first.#-oShould have known. Now I know better, had to resolder, a radatior cap, a professional shop built for me. That also`s been holding up for years8-[

That's awesome! I'm surprised that it worked at all though.

I have a slightly used (couple of hours) 3/8 outlet sender that I bought off Ebay for sale if you're interested. Send me a PM.

The problem I'm having is that I need the correct OHMS for my Auto Meter gauges. I have a new float and my Auto Meter sensor attached to the old sending unit and fittied into the tank. I just need a seal and new sock now.

I thought that you could match the autometer gauge to the sender.

Well I tried different size resistors in line from the sender to the gauge and couldn't ever get the gauge to read correctly. I didn't try every different type resistor but I know that the ones I had won't work. 10 ohm and 100 ohm wired in parallel and wired separately. Then when I thought I had it correct I filled the tank and it only went up to 1/4 tank. ??? So I don't know... I'm going to try the sensor that came with gauges and the float.

Here is the pic of the sender with the Auto Meter sensor. I cut the float rod to the specified length by using the chart that comes with the gauge. I had measure the depth of the tank, how far the sensor will be down in the tank. In which I had to cut the rod 5 3/4" long. I found out that I had to open the fuel tank hole to get it to fit. I have a new seal, sock, fill tube gasket coming.

DSC02073.jpg

DSC02075.jpg

I have a new float that fits your unit for $15

WOW! Expeidant repair at it's finest. Now that's car crafting.

Keep us updated on how it goes.

I finally got the fabbed up sending unit in the tank. I checked the sending unit after I installed it with a ohm meter. I checked first with the tank in normal position (empty) and read 239 ohms. Flipped the tank upside down (Full) and read 60 ohms. My fuel gauge needs 240-40 so I'm a little off on the full reading but I believe that will be ok ... just as long as the empty is right.

-
Back