fm3 coded 340 auto duster resto...............

-
Dang Plot :cheers::cheers:
You have been a busy man, I wonder if you got my old dual snorkel breather from little red ?
I hope all goes well for him and we hear from him soon.
Thank you for all the great work you documented here for many to use and enjoy :coffee2: Like everything ells the grill and center caps turned out great and I agree it seems like it takes years to do all that tape work.

Congratulations :cheers:

That is looking great! paint is sharp. All I can say is, Damn fine work. Don't stop now.:coffee2:

a can of that 25.00 paint from one of the mopar companies. ill have to ask mike. he sold me a can when i got the parts from him

ok, i thought i would be done the car tommorow, but plans have changed.badlilred79 told me i need to slow down, and take a look at everything, and stop rushing.

kudos to you mike!. i will spend a few more day on the car, to make sure everything is in order, and take my time doing all the brake work, and finishing all the little pieces!

anyway, i got the hood, scoops, grille, upper/lower grille supports and bumper done and put on the car. the bumper is not as nice as i was dreaming, so, maybe after this season, i will buy two re-chromed bumper for her!. they are driver quality and that is all i need right now!

here is a few pics!

i think the grille turned out perfect! whatdoyouthink?lol

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 848
  • 003.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 840
  • 004.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 843
Hey! I need my pinky fix. Hope all is going well!!

That might look good with the 71 style black out hood and 340 wedge decal or the Twister style stripes on the hood...

well, i have been doing the brakes and exaust for the past two days. car should be done later today, or tommorow for sure! tagged and insured baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i also was thinking of doing the twister painted hood!. i think it would look alot better than just two scoops

well, took the car for its first run since complete. it ran perfect, then i stopped and got gas, got back in and pumped it a few times........................................darn it, i flooded it so bad, i had to leave it there and come back like two hours later. it started right up, and off i went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, took the car for its first run since complete. it ran perfect, then i stopped and got gas, got back in and pumped it a few times........................................darn it, i flooded it so bad, i had to leave it there and come back like two hours later. it started right up, and off i went!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats...all the hard work was worth it ! Are you going to paint the hood black and add the wedge decal?

^^^ have not decided!, yet!.lol

car is done, minus new tires. the fender top turn signals, and the turn signals on the car.

i have been driving it all morning. took the kids to breakfastm, and had a blast in the car!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 612
  • 004.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 620
  • 005.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 606
  • 006.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 606
  • 007.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 627
Great job. Glad your enjoying the car. She's a keeper. Now, what's next?:coffee2:

Nice job Plot......I look forward to seeing photos of your next project.
Keep the passion alive.

Wilson
Ontario Canada

Attachments

• March Demon 017.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 484
Hey man...what brand of paint did you use? Looks like you got it right!!

It is a cool color because of how it changes when the light hits it.

I'm sitting here amazed and with tears in my eyes seeing these pictures and the journey to restore this Duster. The Duster belonged to my late father, Richard M. Riles. He purchased the vehicle in 1975 from a friend of his (Harold Hooper) who purchased it new. The car had been a part of our lives since then. It has been a street car, drag car, street then back to drag. At one point it was one of the most feared cars on the streets of Roanoke, VA in the late 70's. My father died a few years ago and he had several antique cars and the Duster was one of his favorite cars. I had suffered 2 heart attacks shortly after my father’s passing and did not have the ability to take on the restoration of the car and didn’t think I ever would. The guy you got it from in Clifton Forge/Eagle Rock…had “zero” ties to the car, he was just looking for a dollar out of you if he was giving you a long story on the car.
The color you reapplied is the original color and I know you mentioned the vinyl top in an earlier post…the car came from the factory with a black vinyl top and it was an automatic however he put the shifter in the floor when he was racing the car. It had a 340 in it and I still have the 440 police interceptor motor that he ran in it at one point. Getting rid of that car has eaten away at me for years and I’ve wished I’d never sold it. I have another one that I am restoring now and I plan on completing it just as my dad’s car was originally. (including the black vinyl top)
I have a special needs brother that tinkered on the car with my dad over the years and I’d love for him to see the car once again. My wife and I are sitting looking at it and seeing Dad’s name on the window is the kicker…I put his name on the window back in 1988 when he was drag racing the car. We must say that if you still have the car and ever planning on parting with it, please let me know. If you have sold it by now and know the new owner, I would like to pass the same offer on to them.
Thank you for restoring a part of muscle car history as well as bringing a smile to my father, Richard “Jelly” Riles…I’m sure he’s smiling down on his car.
-Eugene “Jelly” Riles

I'm sitting here amazed and with tears in my eyes seeing these pictures and the journey to restore this Duster. The Duster belonged to my late father, Richard M. Riles. He purchased the vehicle in 1975 from a friend of his (Harold Hooper) who purchased it new. The car had been a part of our lives since then. It has been a street car, drag car, street then back to drag. At one point it was one of the most feared cars on the streets of Roanoke, VA in the late 70's. My father died a few years ago and he had several antique cars and the Duster was one of his favorite cars. I had suffered 2 heart attacks shortly after my father’s passing and did not have the ability to take on the restoration of the car and didn’t think I ever would. The guy you got it from in Clifton Forge/Eagle Rock…had “zero” ties to the car, he was just looking for a dollar out of you if he was giving you a long story on the car.
The color you reapplied is the original color and I know you mentioned the vinyl top in an earlier post…the car came from the factory with a black vinyl top and it was an automatic however he put the shifter in the floor when he was racing the car. It had a 340 in it and I still have the 440 police interceptor motor that he ran in it at one point. Getting rid of that car has eaten away at me for years and I’ve wished I’d never sold it. I have another one that I am restoring now and I plan on completing it just as my dad’s car was originally. (including the black vinyl top)
I have a special needs brother that tinkered on the car with my dad over the years and I’d love for him to see the car once again. My wife and I are sitting looking at it and seeing Dad’s name on the window is the kicker…I put his name on the window back in 1988 when he was drag racing the car. We must say that if you still have the car and ever planning on parting with it, please let me know. If you have sold it by now and know the new owner, I would like to pass the same offer on to them.
Thank you for restoring a part of muscle car history as well as bringing a smile to my father, Richard “Jelly” Riles…I’m sure he’s smiling down on his car.
-Eugene “Jelly” Riles
I recall him saying he sold the car and it then went on Ebay almost as fast as the person bought it from him. Thanks for the story of the car it may be hard to find unless Ebay has an archive.

-
Back