Foundation

-

lenweiler

Reaction score
Block is back, machined to my financial limits. This is one rugged piece. I'm sure it can easily handle any abuse from me, naturally or........... ?
IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

Looking good

Can I ask what is that between the two freeze pluges?

memike said:
Looking good

Can I ask what is that between the two freeze pluges?

It's a billet aluminum bung with a 1/2'' thread (one per side). The exterior water lines from the water pump, enter the block at these points. We chose this method of cooling in lieu of the OEM (through the front of the block). The 'half moon' water holes at the front will be filled.

What are you going to do for an oil filter ? AN lines to a remote mount filter ?

AdamR said:
What are you going to do for an oil filter ? AN lines to a remote mount filter ?

Bingo. The original feed had to be welded shut on account of a hole.

We made a start today on the shortblock. Just easing into it.
w5heads009.jpg

Here we've milled the #5 main cap on one side to facilitate oil pump clearance. We also used a 12 point nut. Lots of clearance now.
w5heads010.jpg

Oil feed was chamferred and radiused for flow.
w5heads011.jpg

Finally we checked crank run-out. There was NO appreciable measurement. That would be under .oo1". This is typical Callies work. And my machinist had the hoan bang on.
w5heads004-1.jpg

very niiiice. wanna maka sexy time with number # mopar engine in all canadakstan.

Well. Even with the stroker rods, grinding was still necessary for clearance. Likely because of the extra bottom-end iron added to this repro block.
w5heads012.jpg

15 minutes of grinding with a carbide cutter is all it took.
w5heads013.jpg

Small notch........... plenty of clearance.
w5heads014.jpg

Crank is now installed.

Checked all bearing clearances. No surprises. The rods and crank were dead on giving us .002" across the board.
w5heads001-1.jpg

w5heads002-1.jpg

Boring stuff today. Setting end gap. Times and gaps have changed..........
w5heads004-2.jpg

w5heads003-1.jpg

w5heads005-1.jpg

That is a beautiful piece of metal! Your thread here is really helpful also. For us guys that have never assembled a bottom end and have never seen it done. Thanks!!

I thought it might be too much for some. Kinda waiting for the Site Admin. to cancel me out.......... But there are some, like you mentioned, that have never done it. It's not rocket science............

Finally we get to check deck height. We wanted -.005" for 12.5 CR. And that's what we got.
w5heads002-3.jpg

w5heads001-3.jpg

lenweiler said:
I thought it might be too much for some. Kinda waiting for the Site Admin. to cancel me out.......... But there are some, like you mentioned, that have never done it. It's not rocket science............

Keep up the good work. I think theres more then a few of us that have never screw our own short blocks together.

Thanks for the positives. Thought that there might be a few guys out there, a little leery of doing this. This is old hat to some of us, and we get by on pretty much regular tools.
That's pretty much for the shortblock. There will be more. So easy with these cameras. Next I'll be skimming over the head prep. Mostly finding installed height and such. Some parts are comming in.
w5heads003-3.jpg

These springs were recommended by the gent that did my heads.
w5heads004-4.jpg

He felt the springs rec. by Crane for the cam, might be a tad inadequate. The valves are Ferrea, the ex. are 11/32" stems, and the int. are 5/16" stems.
We took a stab at the retainer/lock set up, ballparking the titanium retainers at +.110" installed height and the locks at 0 gain.
Unfortunately, with the addition of the spring seats we'll be below our installed height of min. at 1.95, after all the math.
w5heads002-4.jpg

So we've ordered new locks with +.050" more installed height. These springs have a seat press. at 240lb. @ 2.00" and nose press. of 600lb@ .700".
I try to follow installed heights and pressures almost religeously. Spring press. can make or break the cams performance. One of the reasons, I'm sure, that the other engine is under underperforming.

Man that is going to be a great motor! The deck height sure is awesome!
Can't wait to see the heads going on top of all of that piston.

Pistons, and rods are now installed. Took a bit......... and we covered it up toot sweet......
w5heads001-6.jpg

w5heads002-6.jpg

We have moved on to the rocker/valve system and checked all the tolerances we could think of,........... and maybe a few of our own.

w5heads004-6.jpg

w5heads003-5.jpg

w5heads005-3.jpg

We made our own pushrod tool so we can find optimum lengths....
w5heads006-2.jpg

I wish i could see that in front of me, and hear The sound of that engine working Lol.!This tread is realy nice lenweiler!!!
What block is that?L?

Mopar :headbang: and :burnout:!

The intake arrived today from SD. Ryan does excellent work. Modified for use with W5's. I Can see why he suggested this breather........
Clear flow to the ports and a steep shot.........
w5heads001-7.jpg

w5heads002-7.jpg
w5heads004-7.jpg

w5heads003-6.jpg

-
Back