Help-What's the trick for removing gear arm from center link?

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hi,

Having one of them days. Repairs/upgrades had been going really smoothly for my kids and I...Until today. Seems like every thing we attempt to repair/replace lately has turned out to be a bear. :banghead: (Sorry had to vent...keep telling myself, such is the life of a gearhead...better now LOL)

Ok! Trying to get my shot steering gear box out for replacement. We got her up on stands, disconnected the driver's side tie rod from the center link, no prob. But we just can't seem to get the gear arm seperated from the center link. No room to get my puller on it. Guessing there's a specialzed tool but for time's sake, wondering if anyone has any tricks that they could share with us.

Thank as always,

Pat & Kids

Here's a pic of the culprit.

IMG_4463.jpg

i beat mine off with a pickle fork, 2 wacks and it came right off

Hey 73AbodEE, Thanks for the quick response! Will run to the parts store to see if we can't pick one up right quick.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend man,
Pat

P.S. My kids say "Thanks!" too...I think they are is a hurry to get the Duster back on the road.

no problem! it helps if you take the tie rod off the other side so the center link can "pivot" on the idler arm, if that makes sense (at least it helped me out). good luck, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

I use this tool. Slip it on tighten the bolt, then use a small tap with a hammer. It almost never damages a seal. I have used it over 30 years on countless cars.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 324
it helps if you take the tie rod off the other side so the center link can "pivot" on the idler arm, if that makes sense (at least it helped me out).

Make perfect sense. Good info...will do that. Thanks again.

I use this tool. Slip it on tighten the bolt, then use a small tap with a hammer. It almost never damages a seal. I have used it over 30 years on countless cars.

Can't say I ever saw that piece KitCarlson. Very cool. Do you know what it's called?

Thanks,
Pat

That is a tie-rod remover. It could also be could a ball joint remover. The only difference between the two is a ball joint remover generally has a bigger opening to slide around the ball stud.

...gear arm...
Don't mean to be picky, but if you ever have to buy a replacement, the "gear arm" you refer to is most commonly known as the "Pitman arm". And when they are stuck, as you found out, it seems like it will take a team of wild horses to get them off.

You really need one of these.
A Pitman Arm Puller, that's designed to get one of those things off.

Attachments

• Pitman Arm Puller.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 278
Pat,

It is a BTH-15 tie rod end lifter. It was bought long ago 30+ years from JCW. At the time some of their stuff was junk, but this has always worked well. The picture does not do justice, it is a rugged part, yet slender enough to fit and easily use in tight places. I have used it on Dart, Barracuda, Omni (lower ball joint release), Studebakers, BWM, Volvo, VW. It does not damage threads or seals. Often pops joint without a tap.

I searched the web and found similar tool, but not the same.

They also have a version of that tool at Harbor Freight. Although, it looks like it is made of dog feces. It might work in a pinch. Once. They wanted like 25 bucks for it.

mine came off with 2 wacks of a hammer and a pickle fork in 10 seconds. 40 year old suspension parts, never been off before.

Another method that works good for me (especially if you don't want to replace the boot) is to whack the center link with a hammer where the pitman arm stud passes through. Put the nut back on loosely (in case your miss with the hammer! :) ) squirt the whole area with penetrating oil, and give it a couple of good whacks right on the side of the center link. I should pop right loose.

I use a fork attachment on my air hammer. Zips right off.

Kinky and painful? :)

Yes pickle fork, smack link with hammer

LMAO wow , i made that sound so dirty :D

LOL! I love the way we always manage to find a way to work our perverted dirty old men ways into our threads. :D Thanks for the chuckles guys.

On a different note, my daughters and I picked up a couple pickle forks today, so I think we'll be able to move forward with the disassembly. I think I am gonna pull out all the steering linkage and replace all the seals etc...the ones in there, or I should say, what's left of them, look to be the originals and are in sad shape.

Also explained the BFH principle to them when we bought one today...."Girls, while we're in tool aisle, I need to pick up a BFH"..."Daddy? What's a BFH?"..."Well, we're gonna need a heavy hammer to get the pieces apart...a Big Friggin Hammer"...."<giggles> Daddy, do you use The Other F-word in place of friggin when you are with your car friends"....:eek:ops: "Uuuhhmmm...sometimes Daddy slips girls......." Note to self, Little Ears hear EVERYTHING...I really gotta what the F-Bombs LOL!

LOL... yes , their precious little ears hear everything, and like to pick the most opportune time to repeat it :protest: "but my daddy says it all the time" LOL :D

just remember....a few good wacks, and you will get it off....

They also have a version of that tool at Harbor Freight. Although, it looks like it is made of dog feces. It might work in a pinch. Once. They wanted like 25 bucks for it.
I have this one, and have used it three times with success. I'd recommend it for a home hobbyist.

Well worked on that center link today. And thanks to FABO member tips, and my 2 new Favorite Tools! My new BFH and Pickle Fork.

Thanks all for your help. Will probably be posting up some new "Help" threads as my daughters and I attack the headers, steering gearbox and oil pan removalas.

Pat & Kids

IMG_4473.jpg

Another method that works good for me (especially if you don't want to replace the boot) is to whack the center link with a hammer where the pitman arm stud passes through. Put the nut back on loosely (in case your miss with the hammer! :) ) squirt the whole area with penetrating oil, and give it a couple of good whacks right on the side of the center link. I should pop right loose.

That almost always works for me. Rarely use a pickle fork. But I work on cars in a part of the country that don't have the weather's elements on them that make things super stuck together.

-
Back