Hemi Yes or No

-
Do you remember the old Plymouth ad (about 69') that said...."On the seventh day...GOD created the HEMI"?.....like Mr. Hemi says...'nuff said

A little trip down memory lane, at the risk of showing my age, but who cares. When I was a street racer (now a 20 yr veteran cop, ha) we would travel from the Bronx to Queens to race on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway (aka the Connecting Highway). A buddy had a Hemi Roadrunner and did quite well but after a while stopped going on the approx 40 mile roundtrip, because it was costing too much for gas (about $5 of gas @26 cents/gal).
Another Hemi memory. My mailman had a Dodge Coronet Hemi with dog dish hubcaps. He would drive his car on his route, park it, deliver the mail for 2 blocks, walk back to his car, drive it another couple of blocks and deliver more mail. Repeat until done.
I sometimes wonder if these guys, if they sold their cars, ever stayed tuned to see what these cars bring today.
Hmmm.

Ah.....Hemi Memories.

A good friend had a 484 stroker in a 68 GTX (almost from
new). I swear you could feel it coming up the block before
you saw it.

When the 6-Pack cars came out in 69 he had 8-Pack painted
(very nicely) on the side of his car.

Sure wish I had a picture!

"On the seventh day...GOD created the HEMI"?.....like Mr. Hemi says...'nuff said

And the very next week a stroked small block kick its arse:mrgreen::mrgreen:

hey stroked 340...you still drinkin' your bathwater???......no smallblock ever gave the big blocks any worry in my day('69-76').maybe it was just before your time..no dis intended ...but thats just the way it was. Even my buddy w/ a stealthy (sure looked stock on the outside) 340/13.5 comp/cheater cam/4:56 gear Duster that could beat the chevys/fords/poncho's...never had any luck against us slightly warmed over big blocks(mostly 440's).....your avatar name (stroked).....says it all!......Mopar to ya'

hey stroked 340...you still drinkin' your bathwater???......no smallblock ever gave the big blocks any worry in my day('69-76').maybe it was just before your time..no dis intended ...but thats just the way it was. Even my buddy w/ a stealthy (sure looked stock on the outside) 340/13.5 comp/cheater cam/4:56 gear Duster that could beat the chevys/fords/poncho's...never had any luck against us slightly warmed over big blocks(mostly 440's).....your avatar name (stroked).....says it all!......Mopar to ya'

:sign5:

When I turned 15..still riding my bicycle...my older brother John (yes, my Mentor) came home w/ a 68' maroon 383/shift kit auto/3:91/JR headers/Sig Erson cam RoadRunner so load and lumpy that every window in the old house we lived in would rattle like it was gonna fall out. In no time he and his buddy(69' RoadRunner) had the big Plymouth letters and wing decal from the Superbird on their 1/4's and c panel...this was '70 when the Birds just came out. I'd spend hours washing/waxing that car just for a 5 minute ride around town.....

Really,well the older gentlemen that i use to talk to at car shows when i wasted my time with my 340 duster use to tell me how the 340 duster was one little bad mother back in the day..and still holds truth today come out to the track sometime instead of putting around on the street,you'll see more then a few small blocks handing big blocks their arses...and i ain't drinking nothing funny i actually RACE my car exactely what these bad boys were built for... street/car shows how silly:sign5::sign5:

no doubt...a good runnin' 340 could run with us...just couldn't beat us....these days ,I'm impressed at how fast some guys have their smallblocks going.If I was drag racin' on a budget...no doubt..I'd go smallblock too...But I really don't need to rely on some old gentlemans story..some of the BS I've heard...its called "bench racin"...is laughable to say the least.....However,I was there....Street racin' almost every weekend nite against 30 to 40 fellow street/some drag races just in our town...when we ran out of competition there...we drove (not trailered) to neighboring towns...not for $$$...but for bragging rights,friendship, and FUN.....those were the days my friend...then I grew up!

no doubt...a good runnin' 340 could run with us...just couldn't beat us....these days ,I'm impressed at how fast some guys have their smallblocks going.If I was drag racin' on a budget...no doubt..I'd go smallblock too...But I really don't need to rely on some old gentlemans story..some of the BS I've heard...its called "bench racin"...is laughable to say the least.....However,I was there....Street racin' almost every weekend nite against 30 to 40 fellow street/some drag races just in our town...when we ran out there of competition there...we drove (not trailered) to neighboring towns...not for $$$...but for bragging rights,friendship, and FUN.....those were the days my friend...then I grew up!

Ya,and now your farting around on the street with an elephant motor:dontknow::dontknow: ..by the way everything is fast on the street, running the 1/4 mile track is a whole different animal..

yea...aint it great!!...like they say ..different strokes(kind of a pun,huh?) for different folks....how's this?...I'll do the fartin around...I'm probably best suited for that these days... street stuff w/ my little Hemi and you handle the serious drag stuff w/your small block....man, I think well have em' covered...what do ya think??...keep in mind ..us old guys should get the "light duty" with our seniority..right?......Mopar to ya'...Denny

Charlie Westcott, 8.22/162.72. Wonder if it was a 340 car?? :thumblef::axe::dontknow:

Or show up with a stroked bb wedge. 451 can run 700 h.p no sweat.

sounds like you got some good back-up for your end? eh stroked'

A 340 (or should we say a 408 or larger) with aftermarket heads
that don't even resemble the originals just isn't a true comparison.

I'll admit that you can make some big HP that way. Bore and stroke,
rod ratio and angle and bobweight can be made the same in a lot of
dissimilar powerplants....but, compression ratio and camshaft timing
being the same, the true differences are going to be the cylinder heads
and intake design. By comparison, the stock A-motors were deficient
in the cylinder head area....Not picking at you; just stating a fact.

The modern Indy or Brodix cylinder heads are a Godsend and the basic
block has proven to be strong enough and able to accomodate big
cranks for big cubes. I see that Indy even has a 440 small block now!

From my experience when these things were new and pure stock, a
383 B-body would beat a 340 A-body every time; not by much, but by
enough (unless there was a Dork wheelin' it). A 440 B-body? Don't even
try it.

Modified, a 340 is as good as anything and I'm sure there are a ton of
them that are right here on this forum.

Interesting discussion, though I wish you guys weren't getting so
cheesed off. You're really comparing apples and oranges (from the
same tree). Have some fruit salad and chill out.

add 600lbs to him, that would slow him down a little

never claimed my junk to be a race car. just a "swift" street car at best. my buddy had a pump gas 340 that ran better than my hemi. it just had a little help :shock:
0530091913.jpg

its since expired to SB heaven.....

by the way, i do also like small blocks. they will run as good as anything. this all started with the ultimate in visual effect. i have a small block barracuda thats probably nicer than my dart. people could care less, they walk by it all day long. but not to many people walk by a hemi in a A-body....:thumblef:

and im also sure there some pump gas Small blocks on this site that will kick my butt. don't really care, this motor is built to drive....

crossram.jpg

Isin't this what bench racing is all about, one upmanship I quite think everyone on this thread and those reading and not participaiting are having a good time so as far as I'm concerned Mopar to ya yall.

P.S. I cut my teeth on them thar small blocks and had a great time doing it. I'v just grown up now and can afford to play with the Big Boy's now. Actually they just finally let me get off the porch.

I see your boy's best (10.23) is quite a ways off of the national record.

That's not the same one that was always getting his clock cleaned by
that Firebird from Ohio (2 miles from HemiDenny's shop) until the GM guy
switched cars and went to a faster class....is it?

NHRA National record as of 02/07/2011:

[SIZE=-1]GT/HA [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]10.051 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]03/08/09 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Dennis Steward - Port Orange, FL [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]'91 Dodge[/SIZE]

Are you sure a 383 b body would beat a 340 A, most times published are high 14's 15 for the 68 to 71 b's with the 70 and 71 heavy b's in the 15's, 340 A's were 14.40's or faster. i know my 68 RR is slow and it's slightly warmer than stock, much slower than the stock 340's i've been in and had. BTW that's my 68 383 4-speed RR

Attachments

• car show 013 (1280x853).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 307
  • 68 RR 383 4-speed (80).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 298
Actually whats sad is the 340 gets more respect from the Chevy, ford guys that seem to remember them running good, than the big block mopar meat heads,

Actually whats sad is the 340 gets more respect from the Chevy, ford guys that seem to remember them running good, than the big block mopar meat heads,

Stroked 340 started all this ****........ My 68 Dart will have a 340, It wont be my first 340 and for damn sure wont be my last. I love how they run and rev and so on and so forth......... My Hemi Duster is just the greatest hot rod I have ever owned. It runs and drives sweet and never over heats in traffic. Now he wants to piss and moan at how great and powerful (like the OZ) his ******* small block is. Well thats great, he is allowed, I'm just sick of hearing about it. Truth be told, I built my car. (with help from my friends) I love my car and yes its not a drag car, wasnt built to be. So Stroked 340 - stick your 340 where the sun doesnt shine and move on. I'm happy for you! And while your at it, work on that cars stance, it looks like a tijuana taxi.......I'm done...

Ps thanks Doug

-
Back