HIGH FLOWING PORTED J HEADS

-
1.65 is the largest that will fit
I was also told it doesnt help over the 1.60 by 1 of the smartest guys here.
Thats not saying a lot. Yes , 1.625 or 1.65
Depends on the core and are we moving the guides a hair. It's only helping the short side a tittle, it is real-estate gained. It's not an have to, but we are tossing approach around some.
The smartest guy ....lol when the ego needs stroked makes their appearance in the conversation. Are we able to see these heads, pictures even, can one purchase a set? Is smart the same as proven?... or is this one of those Jesus faith kinda deals. I hope you guys find the answers you want to hear. Over n out.

Gtx John doesn't do his own heads.
Brian Luniak did them, he's out now.
'What heads' is another question when it comes to what he's talking about.
All good.

No ego, no competition.

I'd rather hear it from the hand that did it than the middle man.
Who becomes the smartest guy when experience could mean you failed over n over again. Lol believe whoever you want, just don't blow up my pm box because you're mad I don't knell along side of you kissing some old crusters asscheeks.
Just toys...so play with them however you want.

A guy named Dan Smith, who was a big time regular bracket racer, got about the most performance I've seen from factory heads, block and flat tappet cam. Think he went 9.8s best at 3200lbs. I know he did his own head work so, he must know his way around. Albeit in a different way, I hope this answers your question.
9.68's @ 136 from memory.

9.68's @ 136 from memory.
Wow ! 9.60s is impressive ! the best I ran was 11.34 with my ported J heads: 2.02 valves, 9 1/2 to 1 compression 20 over 340 , 557 lift Mopar purple shaft cam , 273 rockers , Victor intake , 750 dp carb , 1 7/8 headers in my 3150 lb. 68 Dart.. motor had a lot of runs on it and broke a rod .. been using W2 heads ever since

i know the pros will argue, but if you get 500 horses out of a set of HOME-ported j heads, call it good. if your goal is over that much, have the heads professionaly ported. but, power is not only head-flow related. the more money you throw at it, the quicker and faster the car will get.

Last edited:
We are putting a smaller exhaust valve in my W5 heads so that we can use a larger intake valve.

We are putting a smaller exhaust valve in my W5 heads so that we can use a larger intake valve.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! Just make sure you have probably 15-18 or maybe even 20 more degrees of exhaust duration and it will kick some ***. If you want you can PM me your bore, stroke, rod ratio, compression ratio and where you want to make peak torque and HP and I will run my math on it and I'll let you know what I get.

If (that's a BIG IF) I can fit a 1.500 in there with no steeper than a 52 degree exhaust seat then I will. I'd rather do a 50 but I might not be able to go that small and still get an nice valve job on it. Then I should be able to go 2.150 on the intake.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! Just make sure you have probably 15-18 or maybe even 20 more degrees of exhaust duration and it will kick some ***. If you want you can PM me your bore, stroke, rod ratio, compression ratio and where you want to make peak torque and HP and I will run my math on it and I'll let you know what I get.

If (that's a BIG IF) I can fit a 1.500 in there with no steeper than a 52 degree exhaust seat then I will. I'd rather do a 50 but I might not be able to go that small and still get an nice valve job on it. Then I should be able to go 2.150 on the intake.
Your inbox is full

This is the problem with forums

Screenshot_20240303_100729_Samsung Internet.jpg

I started this thread with a street car build in mind. I do have a extra set of W5'S that I'm not using for any other project. I don't want to build a big torque'y eng. Can you put too much head on one? It's probably going to be between 3.31 and 3.79 stroke. Probably maximum of 4.100 bore. Hydraulic roller and on e85 so probably 12 to 1 compression. Manual transmission.

What's size intake valve ?

The most shrouded spot between the valve and wall behind the valve guide from what I understand, you don't want a lot of flow there cause of swirl anyways ?

1709592751903.png

Last edited:
I started this thread with a street car build in mind. I do have a extra set of W5'S that I'm not using for any other project. I don't want to build a big torque'y eng. Can you put too much head on one? It's probably going to be between 3.31 and 3.79 stroke. Probably maximum of 4.100 bore. Hydraulic roller and on e85 so probably 12 to 1 compression. Manual transmission.
Even say there gonna be less than ideal on a milder combo (and I'm not saying they will be) how bad would they have run before you'd think it's worth while spending money on new heads to run ? I'd run them if you don't like 'em can always swap later down the road.

-
Back