Homemade EFI, what manifold?

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
Hey guys not gonna start building yet, but I wanna start looking. If you were gonna do a homemade direct port injection EFI, what manifold would be best? Then to throw another wrench in it, need to be able to keep a/c, and fit under a stock Duster hood! Thanks, Dan:burnout:

what motor are you planing on putting this on? if its a small block, you could go with the edelbrock/hughes airgap intake (hughes performance sells it,but its $600) but youll either have to use magnum heads, or get your heads redrilled for the magnum intake bolts

Buy a manifold with bosses pre-cast for the injectors. Then simply add a four barrel throttle body and you're nearly there. For example, I believe the Edelbrock Victor series manifold already has the bosses precast.

Someone skilled with a drill press, or a friend with a mill can drill the bosses for your injectors.

For electronics look into Megasquirt.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Depends on the stroke but I'd probably use the Street Dominator or M1 single plane and have it set up for injectors.

You can get an M1 with the injector bosses already drilled and made for a 4bbl. They have adapters so you can also bolt a stock Magnum style throttle body on top or you can buy an after market 4bbl throttle body. That's the route I would go, do some searching I just bought my MPI 4bbl M1 for 218 brand new shipped off of Ebay. Oh and you can use the stock magnum injectors and fuel rails on the M1 as well.

Sorry gentlemen...blew that one didnt I....yes it is a smallblock, a 360 in particular. I dont have heads yet, kinda debating those also...rhs, eq, mopar perf, etc etc. I cannot find a magnum engine in my area for love or money, so the plan was to use one of my LA 360's probably leaning towards the one of the modern iron heads with an LA manifold bolt pattern.

You can get an M1 with the injector bosses already drilled and made for a 4bbl. They have adapters so you can also bolt a stock Magnum style throttle body on top or you can buy an after market 4bbl throttle body. That's the route I would go, do some searching I just bought my MPI 4bbl M1 for 218 brand new shipped off of Ebay. Oh and you can use the stock magnum injectors and fuel rails on the M1 as well.

Please tell me where you can get the M1 with the Injector Bosses? I looked everywhere and could not find one for a small block. I ended up using a Super Victor EFI Manifold.

I'm thinking of sending my W9 intake off to get the work done.

Someone on here was in the process of modifying a manifold for efi, believe he was using epoxy to mount the bungs. Turbofreek rings a bell, that might have been his name on the turboforums.....his for sale ad

on my Magnum I"m using the Mopar p5007790 intake with a edelbrock 3878 throttle body. For the LAs maybe the edelbrock intake they use in their EFI system.

Hopes this helps,Paul

Since the Magnum intake has vertical mounting holes they can be re drilled at the correct angle for pre Magnum motors fairly easily. There were 3 styles of factory M1 intakes. 2 that did 4 barrel carb/throttle bodies, 1 of these had the bosses drilled and the other needed them drilled and the 3rd was a 2 barrel version. Just look on Craigslist, E bay and especially the Dakota and Ram forums. These pop up quite frequently for under 200. If you go with Magnum style heads they will bolt right up.

Just a funny addition to this. My brother has no money and always comes up with cheap innovative ideas. He was planning on drilling injector ports into an intake he had , blah blah blah. I asked him how he planned on metering the air. He runs downstairs and comes back holding a stripped out TQ. He says "I call this my thermoquadalbody!" Cracks me up every time I think of it.

Here's a couple of pics
I used a older tunnel ram intake cut the carb hat off, made a top plate that screws down, welded in bungs made of 3/4 rd stock and fuel rail from 1/2x3/4 stock, I made this setup several years ago, it works great!
That's what I'm looking for do you have deatzils on this setup

Just a funny addition to this. My brother has no money and always comes up with cheap innovative ideas. He was planning on drilling injector ports into an intake he had , blah blah blah. I asked him how he planned on metering the air. He runs downstairs and comes back holding a stripped out TQ. He says "I call this my thermoquadalbody!" Cracks me up every time I think of it.
Man am I glad this thread got bumped up! I could have lived to be 130 years old but had I never seen this comment, I couldn’t possibly have lived a complete life!!
:rofl:

-
Back