I need help deciding what to do...urgently.

What driveline?

• Option 1

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Option 2

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters
-
So it's a dead even deal? I don't think so... Do you have the exh for the 400? The mounts? The oil pan? the accessory mounts for that engine? The kickdown setup? I dont really care either way, it's your car. But take everything into account before you decide. If it's a stock 400, the 340 with a cam will be faster. Especially if you reverse the gear ratios between the two.

So it's a dead even deal? I don't think so... Do you have the exh for the 400? The mounts? The oil pan? the accessory mounts for that engine? The kickdown setup? I dont really care either way, it's your car. But take everything into account before you decide. If it's a stock 400, the 340 with a cam will be faster. Especially if you reverse the gear ratios between the two.

Yes I have pretty much everything. It is already in a duster that would be part of the deal. I plan on keeping 4.10 with the 340 because it's a street car.

Well you know what I'm gonna say.....but I might be just a little bit biased.

I have two great choices on the driveline solution for my dart. I'll give you guys the quick rundown on both builds. I want your opinions and quick! I want pretty much whatever is going to give me a more beastly car. Thanks guys!

Build 1:

73 340
stock bore and stroke
J-Heads
2.02 and 3 angle grind
Ultradyne cam (unknown specs)
Demon Mighty Demon Carb
M-1 Intake
727 with B&M prostick
8 3/4 rear with 4.10 gears

Build 2:
73 (I think) 400ci
Mild cam
906 heads
Performer RPM intake
holly 750 double pumper
MSD ignition
8 3/4 rear with 4.30 gears, strange spool, and yukon axles.

Just an FYI guys, it will be a while before I do any serious work to either engine. I want to recoup some of the cost of the vehicle and pay back the money I borrowed first. It will most likely be 6mo-1yr before I start throwing machine work at either one.

Just an FYI guys, it will be a while.............

Then here's option number 3. Quit wastin everybody's time with all this "urgent" crap and make up your own mind.

Just an FYI guys, it will be a while............./QUOTE]

Then here's option number 3. quit wastin everybody's time with all this "urgent" crap and make up your own mind.

Read the whole damn paragraph, congrats on taking something completely out of context. Just because I won't be doing machine work on the motor doesn't mean it won't be going in my car. I was just trying to avoid some of the "you could do this and that and 10k later" stuff because I don't have 5-10k more to dump into the motor before it goes in the car. Pardon me for asking the advice of people who know more about this subject than myself. No need to be a dick.

If you are going to change the pistons in the 400 and wind up with a zero deck height then I would go the 400 route. Or even go the stroker 4.15 route and end up with 500 cu.in. If you talking a stock build with stock pistons, go with the 340. The 400 were dogs from the factory because the pistons are so far down in the hole @TDC that they made no power.

If you are going to change the pistons in the 400 and wind up with a zero deck height then I would go the 400 route. Or even go the stroker 4.15 route and end up with 500 cu.in. If you talking a stock build with stock pistons, go with the 340. The 400 were dogs from the factory because the pistons are so far down in the hole @TDC that they made no power.

I agree I was going to do a 400 for my B body but found out it would have to be a stroker to get real power out of it.

No offence to anyone out there but the chrysler 400 is a boat anchor. They cost just as much to build as a 440 so why bother. That being said I would go with the 340. I'm sure I just opened up a can of worms.

No offence to anyone out there but the chrysler 400 is a boat anchor. They cost just as much to build as a 440 so why bother. That being said I would go with the 340. I'm sure I just opened up a can of worms.

Just need to know what you're doing with the 400. We built one for a '79 Ramcharger ages ago. Now it sits on an engine stand in my garage. If you'd have driven it, you wouldn't accuse it of being a boat anchor.

I'll take all the 400s you wanna send my way.

Dude there's more rip snortin 400's on this forum than you can shake a
moose dick at.

:wack:

Thanks for all your advice and info everyone! I think I'm going to go with the 340. It is already putting out pretty good power, I can drop it in and go. Then over the winter drop in some forged internals, give her some heads and a little juice and be good to go :) Thanks again guys!

Good choice! :thumbup:

340's are great engines. :mrgreen: Plus, the car's lighter, handles better, and gets better gas mileage. Yeah, I know, mpg's aren't the reason we drive these cars. But I like to drive my cars, and since gasoline isn't going to be getting any cheaper, more mpg's equals more time on the road. I'm not saying I'm going to be putting slant 6's in all of my cars, but a small block is a little more reasonable than a big block, and still plenty of fun in the right tune.

Good choice! :thumbup:

340's are great engines. :mrgreen: Plus, the car's lighter, handles better, and gets better gas mileage. Yeah, I know, mpg's aren't the reason we drive these cars. But I like to drive my cars, and since gasoline isn't going to be getting any cheaper, more mpg's equals more time on the road. I'm not saying I'm going to be putting slant 6's in all of my cars, but a small block is a little more reasonable than a big block, and still plenty of fun in the right tune.

My thoughts exactly! As much as we like to say screw gas prices, I'm not a rich man and I have to live in reality, so if I can get better mpg and still perform, I'll take it.

-
Back