I need help finding the wire that goes to the pin on the manifold near distributor...

-

supersoap33

Reaction score
Hey, everybody. I was wrapping my harness in wire loom and lost the wire that goes to the pin on the rear of the manifold next to the distributor. I assume it's a ground, but honestly have no idea what it does. I have one wire that could be a possibility. and it's grey and maybe coming from the ignition control module or ballast resistor. It's grey and is over by the passenger side bank of cylinders.

I'm a visual learner so some pics would really help me. If you have exposed wiring, that would also be a huge plus. Thanks!

If it's got an open sided slip on terminal end, it's the only thing it can be for. Coil are both rings, ballast and others are female spade plugs.

If it's got an open sided slip on terminal end, it's the only thing it can be for. Coil are both rings, ballast and others are female spade plugs.

Mine was sort of modified by the last guy that had the car. The open sided slip-on terminal end fell off and I don't know what the connector that it fell off of looked like. So I have a red wire with a female spade that may have held the slip on terminal on it. That's why I need help. I need to know where the wire is coming from and what color it is and possibly some pics. The Haynes is of no use.

This is for the light rather than the gauge but it is the same configuration.

Oil Pressure Sender.jpg

Hey, everybody. I was wrapping my harness in wire loom and lost the wire that goes to the pin on the rear of the manifold next to the distributor. I assume it's a ground, but honestly have no idea what it does. I have one wire that could be a possibility. and it's grey and maybe coming from the ignition control module or ballast resistor. It's grey and is over by the passenger side bank of cylinders.

I'm a visual learner so some pics would really help me. If you have exposed wiring, that would also be a huge plus. Thanks!

I'm sure it's the oil sender HERE IS HOW you find out for sure

You don't want to short unknown wires to ground (or other places) so what you do is take a 12V test LAMP (not an LED) and hook between the wire and ground

Turn the key to run, and if you have an oil warning lamp see if it came on "dim". Look at your test lamp and see if it is lit. If you have a gauge, it should "come up" a little

When you ask questions here PLEASE post the year make and model

If you do not have factory service manual, wander over to MyMopar and download one, free. You may have to settle for Dodge vs Plymouth or vise versa

Not many grounds in factory harness, aside from the front and rear lighting harness, which each have a ground sometimes.

It's a 74 plymouth duster with a 318. Here are some pics of the wire in question. Please if anyone can confirm whether or not this is THE wire that goes on the pin, let me know.

20211103_101342.jpg

20211103_101338.jpg

20211103_101335.jpg

20211103_101332.jpg

20211103_101327.jpg

Follow the wire and see which cavity it leads to at bulkhead connector.
Sorry but you gotta do some of the legwork AND get factory schematics. It's a 48 year old vehicle, either get them or sell the car, OR find a mopar mechanic close to you.
Schematics are FREE chk Mymopar.com for them.
Sorry for sounding like an ***, but for the inexperienced there is a big learning curve. Some can be done over the net, but some are best done hands on.
Good luck

Well I don't have a bulkhead connector anymore because I deleted it. Some person covered the whole connector in liquid nail and since I needed to trace everything, I just connected everything straight through the firewall with butt connectors.

I did get the car running, but the temp gauge didn't waste any time going all the way to 250. I don't think it's supposed to do that. I didn't get an oil light on and it's idling rough because I didn't get the distributor dialed in properly yet.

Also, my manifold/Holley took a tumble off of my work bench when the whole assembly was off the engine and now fuel is leaking from that large screw on the top front of the Holley. It's a 570 cfm Avenger if anyone might know why it's doing that.

When wiring gets modified, no idea. "I ain't there." All you have is wire color, as obviously the OEM termination is gone. I cannot tell what color that is for sure

There are a couple of brown wires in the engine bay and they have confused some owners. One is ignition and the other is washer pump.
Only 1 gray wire in the engine bay and it is oil sender. Only 1 purple wire and it is temp sender. You'll find several blue wires. All are branches from the same switched 12 volt source.

does the oil pressure gauge register? Maybe fix the temp gauge before worrying about this wire and the solution will present itself as you fix other things.

Also, my manifold/Holley took a tumble off of my work bench when the whole assembly was off the engine and now fuel is leaking from that large screw on the top front of the Holley. It's a 570 cfm Avenger if anyone might know why it's doing that.[/QUOTE]

The big screw is where you set your float level in the carb. The screw is loosened and then you can turn the nut until the fuel in the bowl is at the bottom of the check hole on the side. This done with the engine running at idle. You may have just knocked the screw loose try tightening it up.

I have a 74 and 75 duster. The grey is the oil sending unit. The red wire that changed may be for the electro choke. Is ur alternator wire up a d working? Kim

Grey colored wire to cavity K on the bulkhead? Could be grey/green. Hard to tell.
upload_2021-11-5_11-42-36.png

Touch it to ground. If the oil light coms on that's it. If the harness starts to melt, that wasn't it. :BangHead::lol:

-
Back